The article analyzes the features of the criminal procedural activities of
the institutions of the Federal Penal Service of Russia during the preliminary investigation.
Based on the results of the analysis, it is concluded that the latter is truncated and
consists of two components: the initiation of a criminal case for the production of urgent
investigative actions and the execution of orders to carry out certain investigative actions.
The specificity of the criminal procedural activity of this subject of the prosecution
determines the peculiarities of the prosecutor’s supervision over the legality of its
The current legislation actually excluded the prosecutor from the mechanism for
initiating a criminal case and conducting urgent investigative actions, which reduces the
effectiveness of prosecutorial supervision in this area and reduces the level of legality.
Also, there is no effective mechanism for prosecutorial supervision over the legality of
the execution of orders by officials of institutions of the Federal Penal Service of Russia to
conduct certain investigative actions.
By analyzing the provisions of the legislation, it is concluded that there are shortcomings
in the legal regulation of the procedure for exercising prosecutorial supervision over the
legality of the criminal procedural activities of the institutions of the Federal Penal Service
of Russia during the preliminary investigation at the level of both criminal procedure law
and departmental regulation.
In order to eliminate the noted shortcomings, appropriate amendments to the
legislation are proposed.
Deputy Voronezh Prosecutor for Supervision of Compliance with Laws in Correctional Institutions, Voronezh, Russian Federation.
, e-mail email@example.com
1. Kuklin V. I. Neotlozhnye sledstvennye dejstviya [Urgent investigative actions]. Kazan, 1967. 141 p. (In Russ.).
2. Lyutynskij A. M., Morozov R. M. Nekotorye voprosy praktiki rassledovaniya pobegov iz ispravitel’nyh uchrezhdenij FSIN
Rossii [Some questions of the practice of investigating escapes from correctional institutions of the Federal Penal Service
of Russia]. Aktual’nye problemy rossijskogo prava – Actual problems of Russian law, 2008, no. 2, pp. 260–266. (In Russ.).
3. Michurina O. V. Processual’nye i organizacionnye voprosy osushchestvleniya nachal’nikami sledstvennyh izolyatorov i
lechebno-trudovyh profilaktoriev funkcij organov doznaniya. Diss. kand. yurid. nauk [Procedural and organizational issues
of the implementation by the heads of pre-trial detention centers and medical and labor dispensaries of the functions of the
bodies of inquiry. Diss. PhD. in Law]. Moscow, 1993. 202 p. (In Russ.).
4. Prikaz General’nogo prokurora Rossijskoj Federacii ot 26.01.2017 № 33 «Ob organizacii prokurorskogo nadzora za
processual’noj deyatel’nost’yu organov doznaniya» [Order of the Prosecutor General of the Russian Federation from
26.01.2017 No. 33 «On the organization of prosecutor’s supervision over the procedural activities of the bodies of inquiry»].
Zakonnost’ – Legality, 2017, no. 5, pp. 40–44. (In Russ.).
5. Osipov A. A. O subjektah, osushchestvlyayushchih predvaritel’noe rassledovanie v forme doznaniya po dejstvuyushchemu
ugolovno-processual’nomu zakonodatel’stvu RF [On the subjects carrying out a preliminary investigation in the form of
an inquiry under the current criminal procedure legislation of the Russian Federation]. Rossijskij sledovatel’ – Russian
investigator, 2009, no. 11, pp. 9–12. (In Russ.).
6. Savel’ev YU. O svoevremennosti provedeniya neotlozhnyh sledstvennyh dejstvij [On the timeliness of carrying out
urgent investigative actions]. Zakon i pravo – Law and right, 2007, no. 7, pp. 84–86. (In Russ.).
7. Sautiev A. M. Priem, registraciya i rassmotrenie zayavlenij i soobshchenij o prestupleniyah i proisshestviyah v
ispravitel’nyh uchrezhdeniyah FSIN Rossii: sravnitel’no-pravovoe issledovanie na osnove zakonodatel’stva Rossijskoj
Federacii i stran SNG. Diss. kand. yurid. nauk [Reception, registration and consideration of applications and reports of
crimes and incidents in correctional institutions of the Federal Penal Service of Russia: a comparative legal study based on
the legislation of the Russian Federation and the CIS countries. Diss. PhD. in Law]. Ryazan, 2017. 230 p. (In Russ.).
8. Sigalov L. E. Teoriya i praktika neotlozhnyh sledstvennyh dejstvij. Avtoref. diss. kand. yurid. nauk [Theory and practice
of urgent investigative actions. Author’s abstract of diss. PhD. in Law]. Sverdlovsk, 1969. 23 p. (In Russ.).
9. SHabetya V. I. Sushchnost’, naznachenie i poryadok proizvodstva neotlozhnyh sledstvennyh dejstvij po UPK RF.
Avtoref. diss. kand. yurid. nauk [The essence, purpose and procedure for the production of urgent investigative actions
under the Code of Criminal Procedure of the Russian Federation. Author’s abstract of diss. PhD. in Law]. Chelyabinsk,
2004. 25 p. (In Russ.).