The article is devoted to the problems of defining the concept and content of administrative activity of bodies and institutions of the penal system, its place in the mechanism of administrative and legal regulation of public administration in the field of criminal penalties, clarification of the peculiarities of administrative activity of penal system. The mechanism of administrative and legal regulation of public administration in the field of the execution of criminal penalties is a body of norms of administrative law and process, as well as other administrative and legal means regulating public relations in this area of public administration. The administrative activity of the penal system is directly related to the mechanism of administrative and legal regulation in the field of the execution of criminal penalties and is aimed at solving practical problems in the organization of the penal system. The content of the administrative activity of the penal system includes such areas as administrative-managerial, administrative-jurisdictional and administrative-judicial. Administrative-managerial activity of the penal system are considered as a body of interconnected administrative and legal processes and procedures, the consistent implementation of which ensures the implementation of administrative and legal management in the penal system. In its turn the administrative-jurisdictional activity of the penal system is the law enforcement activity of the organs and institutions of the penal system to identify (suppress), investigate and consider cases of administrative offenses and disciplinary offenses of penal system employees and to take decisions on them in the forms established by law and in a specific order. The administrative-judicial activity of the penal system in theoretical terms can be considered as the activity of the organs and institutions of the penal system and their officials in the field of protecting the rights and freedoms of the individual from any form of administrative arbitrariness in the field of criminal penalties, associated with the use of various administrative and legal means of extrajudicial legal) and judicial protection. The administrative activity of the penal system is the most important direction for improving public administration in the field of the enforcement of criminal penalties as well as a powerful resource for improving the efficiency of the organs and institutions of the penal system in the field of maintaining law and order.
Keywords: public administration; administrative regulation; administrative activity; execution of criminal sentences; penal system
Professor of the Department of Administrative and Legal
Disciplines of the Vologda Institute of Law and Economics of the Federal Penal
Service of Russia, Dsc. in Law, Associate Professor, Honorary Worker of Higher
Professional Education of the Russian Federation
, e-mail Nagornikhfirstname.lastname@example.org
1. Popov L. L., Zubarev S. M. (red.) Administrativnye procedury [Administrative procedures]. Moscow, 2017. 240 p. (In
2. Alekseev S. S. Mekhanizm pravovogo regulirovaniya v socialisticheskom gosudarstve [The mechanism of legal regulation
in a socialist state]. Moscow, 1966. 187 p. (In Russ.).
3. Anikin S. B. Problemy i perspektivy administrativnoj yurisdikcii organov vnutrennih del Rossijskoj Federacii. Avtoref.
diss. kand. yurid. nauk [Problems and prospects of administrative jurisdiction of the internal affairs bodies of the Russian
Federation. Author’s abstract of the diss. PhD. in Law]. Moscow, 1996. 23 p. (In Russ.).
4. Veremeenko I. I. Mekhanizm administrativno-pravovogo regulirovaniya v sfere ohrany obshchestvennogo poryadka. V 3
chastyah. CHast’ 1. Predmet i ponyatiya [The mechanism of administrative regulation in the field of public order protection.
In 3 parts. Part 1. Subject and concepts]. Moscow, 1981. 111 p. (In Russ.).
5. Grishkovec A. A. Dopustim li termin «delikt» v nauke administrativnogo prava? [Is the term “deliсt” admissible in the
science of administrative law?]. Aktual’nye problemy administrativnogo i administrativno-processual’nogo prava [Actual
problems of administrative and administrative procedural law]. St. Petersburg, 2020, pp. 296–303. (In Russ.).
6. Demidov YU. N., Kostennikov M. V., Kurakin A. V. Administrativnaya deyatel’nost’ organov vnutrennih del. Obshchaya
chast’ [Administrative activities of internal affairs bodies. A common part]. Domodedovo, 2015. 285 p. (In Russ.).
7. Dihtievskij P. V. Administrativno-pravovoe prinuzhdenie v mekhanizme obespecheniya lichnoj bezopasnosti. Avtoref.
diss. dokt. yurid. nauk [Administrative enforcement in the mechanism of personal security. Author’s abstract of the diss.
Dsc. in Law]. Moscow, 2004. 62 p. (In Russ.).
8. Elistratov A. I. Osnovnye nachala administrativnogo prava [The main principles of administrative law]. Moscow, 1914.
332 p. (In Russ.).
9. Maslennikov M. YA. Administrativno-yurisdikcionnyj process [Administrative Jurisdiction Process]. Sovetskoe
gosudarstvo i pravo – Soviet state and law, 1988, no. 10, pp. 83–89. (In Russ.).
10. Mel’nikova N. A. Administrativnaya deyatel’nost’ uchrezhdenij federal’noj sluzhby ispolneniya nakazanij. Avtoref. diss.
kand. yurid. nauk [Administrative activities of institutions of the Federal Penal Service. Author’s abstract of the diss. PhD.
in Law]. Moscow, 2011. 25 p. (In Russ.).
11. Mel’nikova N. A. Sootnoshenie norm administrativnogo i ugolovno-ispolnitel’nogo prava v regulirovanii deyatel’nosti
organov i uchrezhdenij FSIN Rossii [Correlation of administrative and penal law in regulating the activities of bodies and
institutions of the Federal Penal Service of Russia]. Rossijskij sledovatel’ – Russian investigator, 2007, no. 18, pp. 27–29.
12. Panova I. V. Administrativno-yurisdikcionnyj process [Administrative Jurisdiction Process]. Moscow, 2017. 256 p. (In
13. Pomogalova YU. V. Uchastie organov i uchrezhdenij ugolovno-ispolnitel’noj sistemy v administrativnom sudoproizvodstve:
napravleniya sovershenstvovaniya administrativno-pravovogo regulirovaniya [The participation of bodies and institutions
of the penal system in administrative proceedings: areas for improving administrative and legal regulation]. Ugolovnoispolnitel’noe pravo –Penal Law, 2016, no. 3 (25), pp, 58–63. (In Russ.).
14. Ponikarov V. A. Teoretiko-prikladnye osnovy organizacii i osushchestvleniya administrativno-yurisdikcionnoj
deyatel’nosti v ugolovno-ispolnitel’noj sisteme Rossijskoj Federacii. Avtoref. diss. dokt. yurid. nauk [Theoretical and applied
foundations of the organization and implementation of administrative and jurisdictional activities in the penal system of the
Russian Federation. Author’s abstract of the diss. Dsc. in Law]. Ryazan, 2009. 52 p. (In Russ.).
15. Popov L. L. Renessans gosudarstvennogo upravleniya v Rossii [The renaissance of public administration in Russia].
Moscow, 2019. 368 p. (In Russ.).
16. CHekalina O. V. Administrativno-yurisdikcionnyj process. Avtoref. diss. kand. yurid. nauk [Administrative Jurisdiction
Process. Author’s abstract of the diss. PhD. in Law]. Moscow, 2003. 28 p. (In Russ.).
17. SHergin A. P. Administrativnaya yurisdikciya [Administrative jurisdiction]. Moscow, 1979. 144 p. (In Russ.).
18. Mashaw J. The American Model of Federal Administrative Law: Remembering the First One Hundred Years. Available at:
https://digitalcommons.law.yale.edu/fss_papers/3866 (accessed 10.04.2020). (In Eng.).