Current State and Promising Directions of Professional and Pedagogical Training of the Penal System Employees to Work with Juvenile Offenders
Kryazheva S.G., Kovtunenko L.V. Current state and promising directions of professional and pedagogical training of the penal system employees to work with juvenile offenders. Penitentiary Science, 2023, vol. 17, no. 1 (61), рр. 105–114. doi: 10.46741/2686-9764.2023.61.1.012
The current stage of society’s development is associated with the actualization of the problem of professional and pedagogical training of specialists to work with juvenile offenders. More and more attention is paid to the procedure for selecting candidates for service in penitentiary institutions where this category of citizens is held, service conditions, and the system for improving and maintaining employees’ professional and pedagogical competence. Purpose: to study the current state of professional and pedagogical training of employees of the penitentiary system to work with juvenile offenders. Methods: when studying the current state of professional and pedagogical training of employees to work with juvenile offenders, the authors apply methods of theoretical research (analytical, axiomatic, formalization, etc.) and empirical ones (observation, conversation, comparison, questionnaire, interpretation, etc.). Results: the current state of professional and pedagogical training of employees to work with juvenile offenders (training in the course of official activity, professional retraining, advanced training) is determined, problematic issues and promising development areas are highlighted; the experience of interaction between territorial bodies of the Federal Penitentiary Service of Russia and third-party educational organizations is described. Conclusion: professional and pedagogical on-the-job and off-duty training of employees of the penal system to work with juvenile offenders is carried out nowadays. In juvenile correctional facilities and pre-trial detention centers, classes are organized as part of official training to improve their professional and pedagogical competence. In juvenile correctional facilities of the Federal Penitentiary Service of Russia, advanced training and professional retraining programs are implemented, including topics (sections, paragraphs, etc.) reflecting certain aspects of working with minors. In a number of territorial bodies of the Federal Penitentiary Service of Russia, contracts are concluded with third-party educational organizations. At the same time, despite its relevance, the topic of professional and pedagogical training of employees of the penitentiary system to work with juvenile offenders is currently insufficiently studied. Within the framework of the research presented in the article, the main problematic issues related, first of all, to the organization, consistency and purposefulness of the learning process are identified.
Keywords: Vocational and pedagogical training; juvenile offenders; suspects, accused and convicted persons; programs of additional professional education; pre-trial detention center; juvenile correctional facility; penal system
2. Gur’eva V.A. Podrostkovaya psikhiatriya [Adolescent psychiatry]. Moscow, 2001. 448 p.
3. Zautorova E.V., Debol’skii M.G., Tsvetkova N.A. et al. Provedenie psikhologicheskikh treningov po vyrabotke u nesovershennoletnikh, soderzhashchikhsya v uchrezhdeniyakh UIS, ustanovok na nepriyatie kriminal’noi subkul’tury (metodicheskie rekomendatsii) [Conducting psychological trainings on the development of attitudes towards rejection of criminal subculture in minors held in penal institutions (methodological recommendations)]. Moscow, 2020. 88 p.
4. Zautorova E.V., Koldunova D.A Prevention of conflict behavior of minors as a socially vulnerable category of convict. Penitentsiarnoe pravo: yuridicheskaya teoriya i pravoprimenitel’naya praktika = Penal Law: Legal Theory and Law Enforcement Practices, 2022, no. 2 (32), pp. 73–76. (In Russ.).
5. Motova E. V. Psychological readiness of employees of educational colonies to work with juvenile convicts prone to destructive behavior. In: Chirikov A.G. (Ed.). Ugolovno-ispolnitel’naya sistema segodnya: vzaimodeistvie nauki i praktiki : materialy Vseros. nauch.-prakt. konf. (25–26 oktyabrya 2017 g.) [Penal system today: interaction of science and practice: proceedings of the All-Russian scientific and practical conference (October 25-26, 2017)]. Novokuznetsk, 2017. Pp. 231–235. (In Russ.).
6. Ganishina I.S., Vetra A.V. Personal characteristics of suspects, accused and convicted minors in pre-trial detention. Vestnik samarskogo yuridicheskogo instituta = Bulletin of the Samara Law Institute, 2020, no. 2 (38), pp. 111–120. (In Russ.).
7. Litvishkov V.M., Vilkova A.V. Stimulation of juvenile convicts’ feelings for the committed crime. Ugolovno-ispolnitel’noe pravo = Penal Law, 2015, no. 3 (21), pp. 148–152. (In Russ.).
8. Zautorova E.V. Professional and pedagogical training of employees of the penal enforcement system for the process of moral and aesthetic education of convicts. In: Mezhdunarodnyi penitentsiarnyi forum “Prestuplenie, nakazanie, ispravlenie” (k 20-letiyu vstuple-niya v silu Ugolovno-ispolnitel’nogo kodeksa Rossiiskoi Federatsii): sb. tez. vystuplenii i dokladov uchastnikov (g. Ryazan’, 21–23 noyab. 2017 g.): v 8 t. T. 4. Ch. 1. [3d International penitentiary forum “Crime, punishment, correction” (to the 20th anniversary of the entry into force of the Penal Code of the Russian Federation): collection of speeches and reports of participants (Ryazan, November 21–23, 2017): in 8 volumes. Volume 4. Part 1]. Ryazan, 2017. Pp. 44–50. (In Russ.).
9. Zautorova E.V., Sobolev N.G. Formy i metody vospitatel’noi i psikhologicheskoi raboty s nesovershennoletnimi podozrevaemymi, obvinyaemymi i osuzhdennymi: prakticheskoe rukovodstvo [Forms and methods of educational and psychological work with juvenile suspects, accused and convicted persons: practical guide]. Vologda, 2019. 84 p.
10. Savel’ev A.I., Urusov A.A. Psychological features of the personality of minors with illegal behavior. Psikhopedagogika v pravookhranitel’nykh organakh = Psychopedagogy in Law Enforcement, 2008, no. 2 (33), pp. 54–56. (In Russ.).
11. Bovin B.G., Suslov Yu.E., Kochin A.A et al. Analiz retsidivnoi prestupnosti sredi lits, osvobozhdennykh po kontsu sroka otbyvaniya nakazaniya iz vospitatel’nykh kolonii: analiticheskii obzor [Analysis of recidivism among persons released at the end of their sentence from the juvenile correctional facility: analytical review]. Moscow, 2021. 54 p.
12. Kryazheva S.G., Novikov A.V., Kovtunenko L.V. Professionally significant qualities of employees of the penitentiary system who communicate with juvenile suspects, accused and convicted. Pedagogicheskii zhurnal = Pedagogical Journal, 2022, vol. 12, no. 3A, pp. 846–859. (In Russ.).
13. Suslov Yu.E., Zautorova E.V., Sergeeva M.G. et al. Snizhenie konfliktov sredi osuzhdennykh, podozrevaemykh, obvinyaemykh, profilakticheskaya rabota s vysheukazannoi kategoriei lits: prakticheskie rekomendatsii [Reduction of conflicts among convicts, suspects, the accused, preventive work with the above category of persons: practical recommendations]. Moscow, 2022. 40 p.
14. Kryazheva S.G. K On the problem of the influence of professional burnout of employees on the effectiveness of pedagogical support of underage suspects, accused and convicted persons. In: Nauchnye trudy FKU NII FSIN Rossii [Scientific works of the Research Institute of the Federal Penitentiary Service of Russia]. Moscow, 2021. Pp. 168–172. (In Russ.).