The article analyzes problems of stimulating law-abiding behavior of persons sentenced to restriction of liberty and a suspended sentence. The specifics of disciplinary measures enshrined in the norms of two similar legal institutions, such as a suspended sentence and restriction of freedom, are consistently disclosed. Many convicts continue to violate the established procedure for serving their sentences and evade the duties imposed on them by the court. Every year, statistics show an almost constant number of persons removed from the register of criminal executive inspections in connection with the commission of a repeat crime. The situation is complicated by the fact that this is happening against the background of an ever-increasing number of persons sentenced to punishments and measures of a criminal nature not related to deprivation of liberty. The analysis of the practice to implement norms of the current penal legislation shows that the staff of criminal executive inspections do not always effectively apply incentives for law-abiding behavior of convicts, focusing on penalties. The need to change the system of measures to stimulate law-abiding behavior in legal institutions of restriction of liberty and a suspended sentence is considered through the prism of activities of foreign probation services, as well as psychological reactions of persons registered with criminal executive inspections. What is more, the article presents the point of view of practitioners whose professional activity is directly related to the execution of punishment in the form of restriction of freedom and monitoring of the conditionally sentenced. Purpose: to substantiate the need to improve means of stimulating law-abiding behavior applied to prisoners sentenced to restriction of liberty and a suspended sentence, as well as to formulate specific proposals for their development. Methods: comparative analysis; methods of deconstruction and appercipation; survey conducted by means of questionnaires with open questions; formal-logical methods. Conclusion: recommendations have been developed to improve measures aimed at stimulating law-abiding behavior of persons sentenced to restriction of liberty and a suspended sentence. First, Part 1 of Article 74 of the Criminal Code of the Russian Federation should fix the norm that in case a person serving a suspended sentence is assigned an additional type of punishment and before the expiration of the probation period he/she has corrected his/her behavior and has already served at least half of the term of the additional type of punishment, then the court on the recommendation of the body exercising control over his/her behavior can decide to cancel a suspended sentence and remove the criminal record from the convicted person with exemption from an additional type of punishment. At the same time, it will be necessary to amend Article 86 of the Criminal Code of the Russian Federation to eliminate contradictions related to the current order of repayment of the criminal record of a person sentenced to a milder punishment than imprisonment. Second, it is necessary to establish the opportunity for convicts serving restriction of liberty to be released on parole in the legislation. Third, it is advisable to supplement Article 58 of the Criminal Code of the Russian Federation by the provision that the convicted person is recognized as maliciously evading from serving a sentence in the form of restriction of freedom by the resolution of the inspection head and the imposed penalty in the form of an official warning remains relevant until all penalties are lifted or extinguished.
Keywords: Punishment; incentives; penalty; probation; probation period; disciplinary impact
Doctor of Sciences (Law), Associate Professor, professor at the Department of Penal Law and Organization of Educational Work with Convicts of the Vologda Institute of Law and Economics of the Federal Penitentiary Service of Russia, Vologda, Russia, Senior Researcher at the Research Institute of the Federal Penitentiary Service of Russia, Moscow, Russia
, e-mail firstname.lastname@example.org
Candidate of Sciences (Law), Senior Lecturer at the Department of State and Legal Disciplines of the Saint Petersburg Academy of the Investigative Committee, Saint Petersburg, Russia
, e-mail email@example.com
1. Garofalo R. Criminologia. Torino, 1891. 270 p.
2. Bekkaria Ch. On crimes and punishments. New York, 2009. 151 p.
3. Simonov Yu.I. Diary of a trip to England: studying probation. Available at: https://yvision.kz/post/772565 (In Russ.). (Accessed August 15, 2021).
4. Dyad’kin D.S. Competition of the norms on the imposition of punishment in the form of restriction of freedom with the norms on a suspended sentence. Ugolovnoe pravo = Criminal Law, 2010, no. 3, pp. 34–37. (In Russ.).
5. Zhizhilenko A.A. Draft law of the Minister of Justice on conditional imprisonment. Pravo = Law, 1907, no. 16–17, pp. 1,187–1,199. (In Russ.).
6. Karpets I.I. Individualizatsiya nakazaniya [Individualization of punishment]. Moscow, 1962. 152 p.
7. Kravets Yu.P. Uslovnoe osuzhdenie po sovetskomu ugolovnomu pravu: avtoref. dis. … kand. yurid. nauk [Conditional conviction under Soviet criminal law: dissertation abstract]. Moscow, 1991. 24 p.
8. Yakubovich M.I. On the legal nature of conditional conviction. Sovetskoe gosudarstvo i pravo = Soviet State and Law, 1946, no. 11–12, pp. 55–59. (In Russ.).
9. Chornyi V.N. Distsiplinarnaya praktika i distsiplinarnye mery v tyur’makh evropeiskikh gosudarstv: analit. obzor [Disciplinary practice and disciplinary measures in prisons of European states: analytical review]. Ryazan, 2014. 47 p.
10. Sizaya E.A. The principle of rational application of measures of coercion, means of correction of convicts and stimulation of their law-abiding behavior. Zakon i pravo = Law and Legislation,2008, no. 7, pp. 47–49. (In Russ.).
11. Rossiiskoe ugolovnoe pravo: kurs lektsii: v 2 t. T. 2. [Russian criminal law: course of lectures: in 2 volumes. Volume 2]. Ed. by Korobeev A.I. Vladivostok, 1999. 572 p.
12. Medvedev E.V. Funktsii ugolovnogo prava i mery ugolovno-pravovogo vozdeistviya kak sredstva ikh realizatsii: monogr. [Functions of criminal law and measures of criminal legal impact as a means of their implementation: monograph]. Ulyanovsk, 2020. 384 p.
13. Whitehead P. Thompson J. Knowledge and the probation service: raising standards for trainees, assessors and practitioners. New Jersey, 2004. 240 p.
14. Serebrennikova A.V. Conditional conviction in criminal codecs of Austria and Switzerland. Soyuz kriminalistov i kriminologov = Union of Criminolists and Criminologists, 2018, no. 2, pp. 15–155. (In Russ.).
15. Leibrich J. Straight to the point: angles on giving up crime. Dunedin, 1993. 312 p.
16. Doherty F. Obey all laws and be good: probation and the meaning of recidivism. Georgetown Law Journal, 2016, vol. 104, pp. 291–354.
17. Ob utverzhdenii Instruktsii po organizatsii ispolneniya nakaza-nii i mer ugolovno-pravovogo kharaktera bez izolyatsii ot obshchestva: prikaz Minyusta Rossii ot 20.05.2009 № 142 [The Rules on organizing execution of punishments and measures of a criminal-legal nature without isolation from society, approved by the Order of the Ministry of Justice of the Russian Federation No. 142 of May 20, 2009]. Access from the reference legal system “Garant”.
18. Chernenko T.G. Some problematic issues of calculating the terms of criminal record. Vestnik Tomskogo gosudarstvennogo universiteta. Pravo = Tomsk State University Journal of Law, 2020, no. 36, pp. 126–135. (In Russ.).
19. Ispolnenie ugolovnogo nakazaniya v vide ogranicheniya svobody: ucheb. posobie [Execution of criminal punishment in the form of restriction of freedom: manual]. Ed. by Potapov A.M. Vologda, 2018. 133 p.
20. Khan A. Probation and parole system: a case study of Pakistan. Available at: https://papers.ssrn.com/sol3/papers.cfm?abstract_id=2256316 (accessed April 25, 2021).
21. Fernando R. Desistance from crime and probation supervision: comparing experiences of English and French probationers. Probation Journal, 2021, vol. 68, no. 1, pp. 224–242.
22. Tit A.A. Legal nature of parole in the criminal legislation of the Russian Federation and the Republic of Belarus. Vestnik Moskovskogo universiteta MVD Rossii = Vestnik of Moscow University of the Ministry of Internal Affairs of Russia, 2017, no. 5, pp. 202–206. (In Russ.).
23. Utevskii B.S. Dosrochnoe osvobozhdenie i amnistiya [Early release and amnesty]. Moscow, 1927. 68 p. (In Russ.).
24. Locke E.A., Latham G.P., Smith K.J., Wood R.E. A theory of goal setting and task performance. New Jersey, 1990. 413 p.
25. Hamilton M. Back to the future: the influence of criminal history on risk assessment. Berkeley Journal of Criminal Law, pp. 76–133. Available at: https://papers.ssrn.com/sol3/papers.cfm?abstract_id=2555878 (accessed January 26, 2021).
26. Novikov E.E. Actual problems of legal regulation of the application of penalties in correctional institutions. Vestnik Kuzbasskogo instituta = Bulletin of the Kuzbass Institute, 2016, no. 2, pp. 59–67. (In Russ.).
27. Engels F., Marx K. Sochineniya T. 12. Ch. 1: K kritike politicheskoi ekonomii [Essays. Volume 12. Part 1: For a Critique of the Political Economy]. Moscow, 1935. 771 p.