The article considers the problem of developing the institution of prosecutor’s office and prosecutorial-supervisory law during the October Revolution of 1917 and the Civil War in 1918 in the territories of the anti-bolshevik right-wing socialist regime (the activities of a committee of members of the All-Russian Constituent Assembly). The aim of the work is to study the process of transformation of the prosecutor’s institution. As the main private legal method the comparative legal method was used, which made it possible to compare the views of the right-wing socialist leaders with the legal position of supporters of the Soviet government on the development of the prosecutor’s institution. Also in the work the method of legal hermeneutics was used, which allowed to interpret the meaning of legal texts (legislation of the Russian Empire, regulatory legal acts of Soviet Russia, the Committee of members of the All-Russian Constituent Assembly) and comprehend them as sources reflecting a specific ideology. The novelty of the study lies in the fact that a certain period of the formation of modern prosecutorial and supervisory law, which was not previously addressed in the theoretical and legal research, is considered. As a result of the study we came to the conclusion that prosecutor’s supervision acts as a necessary institution for ensuring the rule of law, restores it in case of violation as well as suppresses attempts at unlawful deprivation of liberty regardless of the socio-political situation in the country (revolutionary situation, war). The development of prosecutorial and supervisory law should guarantee the continuous improvement of existing and the emergence of new mechanisms for protecting individual rights and freedoms. The author found that in the midst of deep social changes of the 1917-1922 the institution of the prosecutor’s institute was not able to properly carry out the transformation from the accusatory-supervisory to the supervisory-accusatory type.
Keywords: prosecutor’s office; prosecutor supervision; prosecution law; Interim government; October Revolution of 1917; Civil War of 1917–1922
Associate Professor of the Department of State and Law Theory and Public Law Disciplines of the Kazan Innovation V. G. Timiryasov University, Head of the Legal Department of the Institute of Social and Humanitarian Knowledge, PhD. in Law, Associate Professor.
, e-mail email@example.com
1. Aksel’rod P. B. Bor’ba socialisticheskih i burzhuaznyh tendencij v russkom revolyucionnom dvizhenii [The struggle of
socialist and bourgeois tendencies in the Russian revolutinary movement]. St. Petersburg, 1907. 128 p. (In Russ.).
2. Vishnyak M. V. Sovremennye zapiski: vospominaniya redaktora [Modern Notes: Editor’s Memories]. Bloomington, 1957.
333 p. (In Russ.).
3. Gusakova YU. S. Organizacionno-pravovye osnovy vzaimodejstviya prokuratury i organov rassledovaniya Rossii
v XVIII – nachale XX vv.: istoriko-pravovoe issledovanie. Diss. kand. yurid. nauk [Organizational and legal foundations of the
interaction of the prosecutor’s office and the investigation authorities of Russia in the XVIII – early XX centuries: historical
and legal research. Diss. PhD. in Law]. Kursk, 2011. 205 p. (In Russ.).
4. Dodonov B. F. (red.) ZHurnaly zasedanij, prikazy i materialy Komiteta chlenov Vserossijskogo uchreditel’nogo sobraniya
(iyun’–oktyabr’ 1918 goda) [Magazines of meetings, orders and materials of the Committee of members of the All-Russian
Constituent Assembly (June – October 1918)]. Moscow, 2011. 631 p. (In Russ.).
5. Zvyagin S. P. Pravoohranitel’naya politika A. V. Kolchaka [Law enforcement policy of A. V. Kolchak]. Kemerovo, 2001.
352 p. (In Russ.).
6. Zvyagincev A. G. Prokuratura Rossii: ot istokov do nashih dnej [The prosecutor’s office of Russia: from the beginnings to
the present day]. Moscow, 2014. 728 p. (In Russ.).
7. Kosicyn A. P. (red.) Istoriya sovetskogo gosudarstva i prava. V 3 knigah. Kniga 2 [History of the Soviet state and law. In 3
books. Book 2]. Moscow, 1968. 622 p. (In Russ.).
8. Kirillova N. P. Prokurorskij nadzor [Prosecutor supervision]. Moscow, 2018. 330 p. (In Russ.).
9. Korotkov A. G. Organizacionno-pravovoj opyt deyatel’nosti prokuratury okruzhnogo suda v chrezvychajnyh usloviyah,
1904–1917 gg. Diss. kand. yurid. nauk [The organizational and legal experience of the activities of the district court
prosecutor’s office in emergency conditions, 1904–1917. Diss. PhD. in Law]. Kazan, 2007. 202 p. (In Russ.).
10. Lazarev E. E. Moya zhizn’. Vospominaniya, stat’i, pis’ma, materialy [My life. Memories, articles, letters, materials].
Prague, 1935. 312 p. (In Russ.).
11. Lapandin V. A. Komitet chlenov Uchreditel’nogo sobraniya: struktura vlasti i politicheskaya deyatel’nost’ (iyun’ 1918 –
yanvar’ 1919 gg.) [Committee of Members of the Constituent Assembly: structure of power and political activity (June 1918
– January 1919)]. Samara, 2003. 242 p. (In Russ.).
12. Likstanov I. M. Mesta zaklyucheniya antibol’shevistskih pravitel’stv na territorii Vostochnoj Sibiri v usloviyah
Grazhdanskoj vojny: 1918–1920 gg. Diss. kand. ist. nauk [Places of detention of anti-bolshevik governments in Eastern
Siberia during the Civil War: 1918–1920. Diss. PhD. in History]. Kemerovo, 2015. 236 p. (In Russ.).
13. Logacheva N. V. Deyatel’nost’ prokurorskogo nadzora v Rossii vo vtoroj polovine XIX v. [Activities of prosecutorial
supervision in Russia in the second half of the 19th century]. Vestnik Tomskogo gosudarstvennogo universiteta – Bulletin
of Tomsk State University, 2010, no. 5, pp. 57–62. (In Russ.).
14. Nikitin E. L. Konceptual’nyj podhod k opredeleniyu funkcij i sistemy polnomochij prokuratury v Rossii [A conceptual
approach to determining the functions and powers of the prosecutor’s office in Russia]. Vestnik Akademii General’noj
prokuratury – Bulletin of the Academy of the General Prosecutor’s Office, 2008, no. 6 (8), pp. 58–64. (In Russ.).
15. Peshekhonov A. V. K voprosu ob intelligencii [To the question of the intelligentsia]. St. Petersburg, 1906. 104 p. (In
16. Ponomarenko S. V. Osnovnye etapy istorii razvitiya rossijskoj prokuratury: istoricheskij aspekt. Diss. kand. ist. nauk
[The main stages of the history of the development of the Russian prosecutor’s office: historical aspect. Diss. PhD. in
History]. Moscow, 2008. 156 p. (In Russ.).
17. Rohlin V. I. Prokurorskij nadzor i gosudarstvennyj kontrol’: istoriya, razvitie, ponyatie, sootnoshenie [Prosecutorial
supervision and state control: history, development, concept, ratio]. St. Petersburg, 2003. 305 p. (In Russ.).
18. Sluchevskij V. K. Uchebnik russkogo ugolovnogo processa. V 2 chastyah. CHast’ 1. Sudoustrojstvo [Textbook of the
Russian criminal process. In 2 parts. Part 1. Judicial system]. Moscow, 2014. 398 p. (In Russ.).
19. Timerbulatov D. R. Penitenciarnaya sistema Zapadnoj Sibiri pri antibol’shevistskih pravitel’stvah: maj 1918 – dekabr’
1919 gg. Diss. kand. ist. nauk [The penal system of Western Siberia under anti-bolshevik governments: May 1918 –
December 1919. Diss. PhD. in History]. Kemerovo, 2017. 306 p. (In Russ.).
20. CHernov V. M. Pered burej. Vospominaniya [Before the storm. Memories]. New York, 1953. 412 p. (In Russ.).