The article investigates the main features of state service in the law enforcement sphere and the place of state service in administrative and legal regulation mechanism. The goals of the work are as follows: to consider state service in the law enforcement sphere as a single legal category, to reveal its essence and characteristic features as a social system, to provide a scientific classification of its constituent elements and disclose their administrative and legal content. We highlight the following main functional features of those state bodies the service in which can be calledlaw enforcement activity:state and power-based nature of activity, exercising executive and administrative powers, special functional and target purpose, application of special measures of legal influence based on the use of persuasion and coercion methods, and a special legal status. We conclude that practical solution to the question of classifying state service in a particular state body as law enforcement activity may be found through legislative definition of the concept of law enforcement activity of the state, law enforcement functions of state authorities, and the system of state authorities exercising law enforcement functions.
Keywords: state service; administrative and legal regulation; law enforcement activity; law enforcement functions; legal enforcement
Doctor of Sciences (Law), Associate Professor, Honorary Worker of Higher Professional Education of the Russian Federation,Professor of the Department of Administrative and Legal Disciplines, Vologda Institute of Law and Economics of the Federal Penitentiary Service of Russia, Vologda, Russian Federation.
, e-mail email@example.com
1. Bratko A.G. Pravookhranitel’naya sistema (voprosy teorii): avtoreferat dissertatsii na soiskanie uchenoi stepeni doktora yuridicheskikh nauk [Law enforcement system (theoretical issues): Doctor of Sciences (Law) dissertation abstract].
Moscow, 1992. 41 p.
2. Veliev I.V. Prokuratura v sisteme organov publichnoi vlasti: opyt sravnitel’nogo issledovaniya po materialam Azerbaidzhanskoi Respubliki, Rossiiskoi Federatsii i Respubliki Kazakhstan: avtoreferat dissertatsii na soiskanie uchenoi stepeni
doktora yuridicheskikh nauk [The prosecutor’s office in the system of public authorities: the experience of a comparative
study based on the materials of the Republic of Azerbaijan, the Russian Federation and the Republic of Kazakhstan: Doctor
of Sciences (Law) dissertation abstract]. Moscow, 2006. 34 p.
3. Gutsenko K.F., Kovalev M.A. Pravookhranitel’nye organy [Law enforcement agencies]. Moscow: Zertsalo-M, 2010. 496 p.
4. Dodonov V.N., Krutskikh V.E. Prokuratura v Rossii i za rubezhom: sravnitel’noe issledovanie [The prosecutor’s office in
Russia and abroad: a comparative study]. Moscow, 2001. 192 p.
5. Isaenko V.M. Organization of law enforcement. Aktual’nye problemy rossiiskogo prava=Actual Problems of Russian Law,
2015, no. 9 (58), pp. 162–166. (In Russ.).
6. Federal Law of December 28, 2010 No. 403-FZ “On the Investigative Committee of the Russian Federation”. In: Sobranie
zakonodatel’stva Rosiiskoi Federatsii [Collection of legislation of the Russian Federation]. 2011. No. 1. Art. 15. (In Russ.).
7. Oboturova N.S. The problem of human rights in the context of the ideas of humanism and transhumanism. Penitentsiarnaya nauka=Penitentiary Science, 2020, vol. 14, pp. 155–161. (In Russ.).
8. Bozh’evV.P., Gavrilov B.Ya. (Eds.). Pravookhranitel’nye organy Rossii: uchebnik dlya vuzov[Law enforcement agencies
of Russia: textbook for universities]. Sixth edition, revised and supplemented. Moscow: Izdatel’stvo Yurait, 2019. 296 p.
9. Stelina J. Theoretical concepts of the law of civil servants. Pravoprimenenie = Law Enforcement Review, 2019, vol. 3,
no. 2, pp. 21–30. DOI 10.24147/2542-1514.2019.3(2).21-30. (In Russ.).
10. Tarasov A.M. Law enforcement activity: its concept and essence. Rossiiskii sledovatel’=Russian Investigator, 2002,
no. 4, pp. 34–38. (In Russ.).
11. Chernikov V.V. Sudebnye, pravookhranitel’nye i kontrol’nye organy Rossii [Judicial, law enforcement and control agencies of Russia]. Moscow: Prospekt, 2002. 686 p.
12. Chislov A.I. Professional’naya pravookhranitel’naya deyatel’nost’ (teoretiko-pravovoe issledovanie): avtoreferat dissertatsii na soiskanie uchenoi stepeni doktora yuridicheskikh nauk [Professional law enforcement (theoretical and legal
research): Doctor of Sciences (Law) dissertation abstract]. Saint Petersburg, 2000. 48 p.
13. Bocharova N. Administrative justice: comparative and Russian context. BRICS Law Journal, 2016, vol. 3, no. 3,
pp. 143–151. DOI 10.21684/2412-2343-2016-3-3-143-151.