The paper substantiates the idea that while performing law enforcement functions correctional institutions face the risks of illegal behavior on the part of those individuals who do not want to embark on the path of reformation. The most effective response to the facts of criminal acts committed by convicts is associated with the implementation of the principle of the inevitability of criminal punishment for such behavior. The speed of such a response is of paramount importance and depends on corrections officers themselves. The response can be effective only if officers of the Federal Penitentiary Service of Russia (FSIN Russia) use the full range of procedural and criminalistic tools at their disposal. Based on the analysis of the criminal procedure status of institutions, bodies and officials of FSIN Russia and the content of their functional responsibilities, we make an attempt to find out whether corrections officers need criminalistic knowledge. We identify the main areas in which corrections officers demand criminalistic knowledge. These include: law enforcement (for direct use in the implementation of criminal procedure powers, as well as for indirect use in the implementation of their main activities aimed at the execution of criminal penalties), education (for training personnel for penal institutions and bodies), and research (for further elaboration on the issues related to the investigation of prison offences).
Doctor of Sciences (Law), Professor of the Department of Criminal Procedure and Criminalistics, Academy of the Federal Penitentiary Service of Russia, Ryazan, Russian Federation
, e-mail email@example.com
Candidate of Sciences (Law), Associate Professor, Head of the Department of Criminal Procedure and Criminalistics, Academy of the Federal Penitentiary Service of Russia, Ryazan, Russian Federation.
, e-mail firstname.lastname@example.org
1. Characteristics of persons held in correctional colonies for adults. FSIN Russia: official website. Available at: http://fsin.gov.
ru/structure/inspector/iao/statistika/Xar-ka%20lic%20sodergahixsya %20v%20IK/ (accessed October 28, 2020). (In Russ.).
2. Shurukhnov N.G. Kriminalistika: ucheb. posobie [Criminalistics: textbook]. Moscow: Yurist”, 2005. 639 p.
3. Stoiko N.G. Pravookhranitel’nye organy: uchebnik [Law enforcement agencies: textbook]. Moscow: Yurait, 2019. 518 p.
4. Tevosyan A.T. On the introduction of the term “canine detachment” in the activities of the canine unit of the penal system.
In: III Mezhdunarodnyi penitentsiarnyi forum “Prestuplenie, nakazanie, ispravlenie” (k 20-letiyu vstupleniya v silu Ugolovnoispolnitel’nogo kodeksa Rossiiskoi Federatsii): sbornik tezisov vystuplenii i dokladov uchastnikov (g. Ryazan’, 21–23 noyab.
2017 g.): v 8 t. T. 7: Materialy kruglykh stolov “Osushchestvlenie operativno-rozysknoi deyatel’nosti v uchrezhdeniyakh UIS
na sovremennom etape”, “Nauka i praktika v obespechenii rezhima v penitentsiarnykh uchrezhdeniyakh”, “Kinologicheskoe
obespechenie deyatel’nosti FSIN Rossii: teoreticheskie osnovy i prakticheskii opyt” [Third international penitentiary forum
“Crime, punishment, reformation” (commemorating the 20th anniversary of the entry into force of the Criminal Executive
Code of the Russian Federation): collection of abstracts of speeches and reports of participants (Ryazan, November 21–
23, 2017): in 8 volumes. Volume 7: Proceedings of round tables “Implementation of intelligence-gathering activities in penal
institutions at the present stage”, “Science and practice in ensuring the regime in penal institutions”, “Cynological support
of the Federal Penitentiary Service of Russia: theoretical foundations and practical experience”]. Ryazan: Akademiya FSIN
Rossii, 2017. Pp. 425–428. (In Russ.).
5. In the Department of the Federal Penitentiary Service of Mordovia dog handlers have been training working dogs for
the search of cellular phones. Official website of UFSIN Russia in the Republic of Mordovia. Available at: http://info-rm.
com/2012/10/31/v-ufsin-mordovii-kinologi-proshli.html (accessed September 11, 2020). (In Russ.).
6. Colleagues from Chuvashia adopt best practices of UFSIN Mordovia. Available at: http://www.13.fsin.su/news/detail.
php?ELEMENT_ID=54871 (accessed September 11, 2020). (In Russ.).
7. In UFSIN Pskov there is a dog trained to search for mobile phones. Official website of UFSIN Russia in the Pskov Oblast.
Available at: http://60.fsin.su/news/detail.php?ELEMENT_ID= 114533 (accessed August 24, 2020). (In Russ.).
8. Five mobile phones were found by a working dog in a correctional facility in Primorye. Website of the news of Primorsky
Krai. Available at: http://primpress.ru/article/24258 (accessed September 11, 2020). (In Russ.).
9. Fomin Yu.S. Problems of investigating the penitentiary crimes in present-day conditions. Vestnik Permskogo universiteta.
Yuridicheskie nauki=Perm University Herald. Juridical Sciences, 2012, no. 4, pp. 204–209. (In Russ.).
10. Shurukhnov N.G. Rassledovanie i preduprezhdenie prestuplenii, sovershaemykh osuzhdennymi v ispravitel’notrudovykh uchrezhdeniyakh: dissertatsiya na soiskanie uchenoi stepeni doktora yuridicheskikh nauk [Investigation and
prevention of prison-related crimes: Doctor of Sciences (Law) dissertation]. Moscow, 1991. 475 p.
11. Shurukhnov N.G. Classification of forensic techniques of crime investigation, its theoretical and practical value. Vestnik
Tomskogo gosudarstvennogo universiteta = Tomsk State University Journal, 2020, no. 450, pp. 252–256. (In Russ.).
12. Nikolaichenko V.V. Penitentsiarnye i postpenitentsiarnye prestupleniya: kriminalisticheskaya teoriya i praktika: dissertatsiya na soiskanie uchenoi stepeni doktora yuridicheskikh nauk [Prison-related crimes and re-offending after release:
criminalistic theory and practice: Doctor of Sciences (Law) dissertation]. Saratov, 2006. 453 p.
13. Shurukhnov N.G., Meretskii N.E., Ishigeev V.S. Some causes and conditions of manifest excesses of authority by penitentiary employees: unlawful acts against inmates. Vserossiiskii kriminologicheskii zhurnal = Russian Journal of Criminology, 2019, vol. 13, no. 5, pp. 772–781. (In Russ.).
14. Ishigeev V.S., Parfinenko I.P. Revisiting the issue concerning the creation of the doctrine of penal criminalistics.
In: Deyatel’nost’ pravookhranitel’nykh organov v sovremennykh usloviyakh: sb. materialov XXII mezhdunar. nauch.-prakt.
konf. V 2 t. [Activities of law enforcement agencies in modern conditions: proceedings of the 22nd international scientificpractical conference. In 2 volumes]. Irkutsk: FGKOU VO VSI MVD Rossii, 2017. Volume 1. Pp. 358–361. (In Russ.).