The solution of the problem of preventing recidivism of juvenile convicts is
associated with psychological interaction with inmates of correctional institution with an
emphasis on the formation of their ability to foresee the results of their actions. In modern
psychological science, the problem of cognition of social phenomena from the point of
view of predicting their consequences is carried out in the framework of the study of social
intelligence of a person and the mechanisms of its functioning. The works of J. Gilford,
G. Allport, R. Selman, R. Sternberg, V. N. Kunitsyna, E. S. Mikhailova, A. I. Savenkova,
D. V. Ushakov and others are devoted to the issues of social intelligence, they consider
this phenomenon as the ability to cognize social phenomena, an additional feature that
ensures the successful functioning of a person in society.
Building a system of psychological support for the development of social intelligence
by juvenile convicts is based on identifying the mechanisms of its functioning. The analysis of works devoted to the description of the mechanisms of development of social intelligence (M. I. Bobneva, O. Yu. Masyagina, V. S. Mukhina, D. V. Ushakov), correlated
with applied tasks and the positive potential of personal development of juvenile convicts,
allows to present a multilevel structure of psychological mechanisms of development of
social intelligence in this category of offenders, which includes the following processes:
identification and isolation, recognition of motives of behavior of all participants of communication, reflection.
To confirm the assumptions about the significant influence of reflexive processes
on the level of social intelligence of juvenile convicts, we conducted an empirical study,
including ascertaining and forming experiments. The basis of the forming experiment
was a training, including a system of exercises, among which a special role was given
to the dilemma. Due to reflection in the course of solving dilemmas, the minor’s self-analysis and awareness of social norms take place, which are transformed into his social
experience. The role of the psychologist in this case consists in the formation of the wards
of a positive “Self-conception”, encouraging them to imitate a positive image, creating a
favorable atmosphere of communication. The effectiveness of dilemmas increases when
its substantive basis is relevant, causes an emotional response; at the same time, the
gradual adoption of moral choices is accompanied by a psychologist.
The dynamics of the development of social intelligence of juvenile convicts was
determined by comparing the results of diagnosing social intelligence before and after
the forming experiment using the test “Diagnosis of social intelligence” by J. p. Gilford
and M. Sullivan as adapted by E. S. Mikhailova. In the course of verification, the position
was confirmed that the stimulation of reflexive processes has a significant impact on the
development of social intelligence. Prospects for further research on the psychological
mechanisms of social intelligence of juvenile convicts are associated with the integration
of psychological and pedagogical knowledge, continuity in the psychological and
pedagogical support of the process under study at the penitentiary and post-penitentiary
Keywords: j uvenile convicts; forecasting; prevention, social intelligence; psychological mechanisms; socialization; «Self-conception», reflection; psychocorrection work; psychological training; dilemma, experiment
Professor of the Department of Legal Psychology and Pedagogy of the Vologda Institute of Law and Economics of the Federal Penal Service of Russia, Dsc. in Pedagogics, Professor, Member-correspondent of the International Academy of Sciences of Pedagogical Education.
, e-mail email@example.com
Head of the Department of Legal Psychology and Pedagogy of the Vologda Institute of Law and Economics of the Federal Penal Service of Russia, PhD. in Psychology, Associate Professor
, e-mail firstname.lastname@example.org
1. Bekhterev V. M. O social’no-trudovom vospitanii [On social and labor education]. Petrograd, 1917. 16 p. (In Russ.).
2. Bobneva M. I. Social’nye normy i regulyaciya povedeniya [Social norms and regulation of behavior]. Moscow, 1978. 311
p. (In Russ.).
3. Vasil’eva I. A., Bolotova U. V., Ryasnaya YU. O. Social’nyj intellekt kak integral’naya intellektual’naya sposobnost’ [Social
intelligence as an integral intellectual ability]. Aktual’nye problemy gumanitarnyh i estestvennyh nauk – Actual problems of
the humanities and natural sciences, 2015, no. 3, pp. 171–175. (In Russ.).
4. Gilford Dzh. Tri storony intellekta [Three sides of intelligence]. Psihologiya myshleniya [Psychology of intellection].
Moscow, 1965, С. 433–456. (In Russ.).
5. Kon I. S. Psihologiya yunosheskogo vozrasta (Problemy formirovaniya lichnosti) [Psychology of adolescence (Problems
of personality formation)]. Moscow, 1979. 175 p. (In Russ.).
6. Masyagina O. YU. Mekhanizmy razvitiya social’nogo intellekta v doshkol’nyj period [The mechanisms of development
of social intelligence in the preschool period]. Materialy mezhdunarodnoj nauchnoj konferencii «Aktual’nye voprosy
sovremennoj psihologii» [Materials of the international scientific conference «Actual issues of modern psychology»].
Chelyabinsk, 2011, pp. 58–60. Available at: https://moluch.ru/conf/psy/archive/30/127/ (accessed 13.11.2019).
7. Mihajlova E. S. Test Dzh. Gilforda i M. O’Salliven. Diagnostika social’nogo intellekta [J. Guilford and M. O’Sullivan’s test.
Diagnostics of social intelligence]. St. Petersburg, 2002. 56 p. (In Russ.).
8. Muhina V. S. Evolyuciya lichnosti skvoz’ prizmu mekhanizmov razvitiya i bytiya [The evolution of personality through the
prism of the mechanisms of development and being]. Razvitie lichnosti – Personal development, 2007, no. 2, pp. 8–31. (In
9. Panova O. B. Obsuzhdenie moral’no-pravovyh dilemm kak sredstvo aktivizacii pravovoj resocializacii nesovershennoletnih
osuzhdennyh v vospitatel’noj kolonii [Discussion of moral and legal dilemmas as a means of enhancing the legal
resocialization of juvenile convicts in an educational colony]. Vestnik instituta: prestuplenie, nakazanie, ispravlenie –
Bulletin of the Institute: crime, punishment, correction, 2017, no. 2 (38), pp. 93–98. (In Russ.).
10. Panova O. B. Pedagogicheskoe obespechenie pravovoj resocializacii nesovershennoletnih osuzhdennyh v vospitatel’noj
kolonii. Diss. dokt. ped. nauk [Pedagogical support of legal resocialization of juvenile convicts in an educational colony.
Diss. Dsc. in Pedagogy]. Yaroslavl, 2013. 487 p. (In Russ.).
11. Poznyshev S. V. Ocherki tyur’movedeniya [Essays on Prison Science]. Moscow, 1915. 296 p. (In Russ.).
12. Savenkov A. I. Emocional’nyj i social’nyj intellekt kak prediktory zhiznennogo uspekha [Emotional and Social Intelligence
as Predictors of Life Success]. Vestnik prakticheskoj psihologii obrazovaniya – Bulletin of practical educational psychology,
2006, no. 1, pp. 30–38. (In Russ.).
13. Sostoyanie prestupnosti v Rossii za yanvar’–dekabr’ 2018 goda [The state of crime in Russia in January–December
2018]. Available at: https://genproc.gov.ru/ (accessed 13.11.2019). (In Russ.).
14. Lyusin D. V., Ushakova D. V. (red.) Social’nyj intellekt: Teoriya, izmerenie, issledovaniya [Social Intelligence: Theory,
Measurement, Research]. Moscow, 2004. 176 p. (In Russ.).
15. Sternberg R. Intellekt uspekha [Intelligence of success]. Minsk, 2015. 231 p. (In Russ.).
16. Titova A. I. Prestupnost’ nesovershennoletnih: sostoyanie i dinamika [Juvenile delinquency: state and dynamics].
Molodoj uchenyj – Young scientist, 2018, no. 34, pp. 64–66. Available at: https://moluch.ru/archive/220/52434/ (accessed
01.12.2019). (In Russ.).
17. Frankl V. CHelovek v poiskah smysla [Man’s Search for Meaning]. Moscow, 1990. 366 p. (In Russ.).
18. Harakteristika lic, soderzhashchihsya v vospitatel’nyh koloniyah dlya nesovershennoletnih [Characteristics of persons
held in juvenile educational colonies]. Available at: http://xn--h1akkl.xn--p1ai/statistics/ (accessed 13.11.2019). (In Russ.).