The article discusses some aspects of the staffing correctional labor institutions of the People’s Commissariat of Internal Affairs of the USSR for the Krasnodar Territory during the Great Patriotic War: staffing of correctional labor institutions of the Krasnodar Territory, problems of compliance with executive discipline, the role of staff of correctional labor institutions in ensuring production plans , features of political and educational work with the personnel of institutions and the organization of vocational training and retraining. Archival materials of the Federal Penal Service of Russia in the Krasnodar Territory of the Great Patriotic War were analyzed, and a conclusion was drawn about the shortage of qualified personnel in connection with the mobilization of employees in the Red Army. The author connects the negative manifestations (increase in the number of shoots, negligence of certain officials, gross violations of guard duty, hazing with convicts, etc.) that took place in the system of correctional labor institutions, mainly with the staff problem, which was one of the main difficulties in solving the main task facing correctional institutions during the war years – the implementation of production plans. Another important area was the mass educational work with personnel, which was most actively carried out since 1943, after the end of the Nazi occupation of the Kuban. One of the key areas in the personnel work of wartime is the system of vocational training and retraining. The search for effective organizational and pedagogical methods for the functioning of the system of educational institutions reasonably led to the reorganization of the available prison staff of the Main Directorate of the NKVD Camps, which was able to successfully solve the tasks assigned to them, both in wartime and in peacetime. In conclusion the author concludes that the system of vocational training and retraining of prison staff in the process of performance is still an essential element of the penal system.
Keywords: Great Patriotik War; correctional labor institutions; staffing; political and
educational work; vocational training system
Head of the Interregional Training
Center for the Special Force of the Federal Penal Service
Administation in the Krasnodar Territory, Sochi, Russian
Federation, PhD. in Law. O
, e-mail email@example.com
1. Voloshin D. V. Usloviya priema v shkoly GULAG NKVD SSSR v gody Velikoj Otechestvennoj vojny [Conditions for admission to the GULAG schools of the NKVD of the USSR during the Great Patriotic War]. Vestnik Kuzbasskogo institute – Bulletin of the Kuzbass Institute, 2015, no. 2 (23), pp. 167–171. (In Russ.).
2. Kuz’min S., Gilyazutdinov R. GULAG v gody vojny [GULAG during the war]. Prestuplenie i nakazanie – Crime and Punishment, 1998, no. 5, pp. 28–32. (In Russ.).
3. Ostapenko P. I., Lebedeva A. D. Nekotorye problemy kadrovogo obespecheniya ispravitel’no-trudovyh uchrezhdenij Krasnodarskogo kraya v 1950-1970-h gg. [Some problems of staffing of correctional labor institutions of the Krasnodar Territory in the 1950–1970s.]. Vestnik Vladimirskogo yuridicheskogo institute – Bulletin of the Vladimir Law Institute, 2007, no. 1 (2), pp. 169–170. (In Russ.).
4. Pecherskij V. A. Nekotorye aspekty deyatel’nosti ispravitel’no-trudovyh uchrezhdenij Krasnoyarskogo kraya v gody Velikoj Otechestvennoj vojny [Some aspects of the work of the correctional labor institutions of the Krasnoyarsk Territory during the Great Patriotic War]. Vestnik Tomskogo gosudarstvennogo universiteta – Bulletin of the Tomsk State University, 2018, no. 428, pp. 151–159. (In Russ.).
5. Pron’ko V. A., Zemskov V. N. Vklad zaklyuchennyh GULAGa v Pobedu v Velikoj Otechestvennoj vojne [Contribution of GULAG Prisoners to Victory in the Great Patriotic War]. Novaya i novejshaya istoriya – New and recent history, 1996, no. 5, pp. 131–151. (In Russ.).
6. Fedoseev V. I. Osnovnye napravleniya i osobennosti politiko-vospitatel’noj raboty s oficerskim sostavom UIS v period Velikoj Otechestvennoj vojny [The main directions and features of political and educational work with the officers of the penal system during the Great Patriotic War]. Materialy konferencii «Pravovoe i duhovno-nravstvennoe vospitanie rossijskogo oficerstva» [Materials of the conference «Legal and spiritual-moral education of Russian officers»]. Samara, 2015, pp. 304–310. (In Russ.).