The article reveals some issues of application of incentive norms and institutions that
stimulate law-abiding behavior of convicts sentenced to life imprisonment. It is proposed
to supplement the penal enforcement legislation with a provision providing for the
transfer of positively characterized convicts to life imprisonment to a penal colony of strict
regime after serving at least 20 years in a correctional colony of special regime for life
In order to increase the effectiveness of the incentive effect on convicts it also seems
appropriate to provide for the possibility of transferring convicts from the strict regime to
the colony-settlement for the following categories of persons: convicted with a particularly
dangerous relapse of crimes; convicted to life imprisonment; convicted persons who have
been commuted to the death penalty by way of pardon. The possibility of transfer to the
colony-settlement for these categories of convicts will contribute to the maintenance and
restoration of their socially useful ties and successful adaptation to the conditions of life
In addition it is necessary to change the mechanism of grant of parole and provide
for this incentive institution only in respect of positively characterized convicts to life
imprisonment, transferred by a court decision from the special regime for convicts to life
imprisonment in the strict regime.
Keywords: incentive institution; convicts sentenced to life imprisonment;
correctional institution; colony-settlement; changing the type of correctional institution;
changing the conditions of serving the sentence
Professor of the Department of Penal Law and Organization of Educational Work with Convicts of the Vologda Institute of Law and Economics of the Federal Penal Service of Russia, Senior Researcher of the Research Center-2 of the Scientific Research Institute of the Federal Penal Service of Russia, Dsc. in Law, Associate Professor
, e-mail firstname.lastname@example.org
1. Babayan S. L. Pooshchritel’nye instituty ugolovno-ispolnitel’nogo prava (teoriya i praktika primeneniya) : dis. … d-ra
yurid. nauk [Incentive institutes of the penal (theory and practice of application) : the diss. ... Dsc. in Law]. Moscow, 2014.
592 pp. (In Russ.).
2. Gorban’ D. V. Pravovoe regulirovanie prozhivaniya osuzhdennyh za predelami ispravitel’nyh uchrezhdenij : avtoref. dis. …
kand. yurid. nauk [Legal regulation of residence of convicts outside correctional facilities : the author’s abstract of the diss.
... PhD. in Law]. Ryazan, 2015. 23 pp. (In Russ.).
3. Kazak B. B. Ugolovno-ispolnitel’naya sistema v mekhanizme obespecheniya vnutrennej bezopasnosti obshchestva :
monogr. [Penal system in the mechanism of ensuring internal security of society : monograph]. Ryazan, 2000. 332 pp. (In
4. Men’shih A. A. Ugolovno-ispolnitel’noe zakonodatel’stvo Francii [French penal legislation]. ZHurn. ros. Prava – Journal
of Russian Law. 2008. Iss. 8. Pp. 118–127. (In Russ.).
5. O Koncepcii razvitiya ugolovno-ispolnitel’noj sistemy Rossijskoj Federacii do 2020 goda : rasporyazhenie Pravitel’stva
Ros. Federacii ot 14.10.2010 № 1772-r (red. ot 23.09.2015) [On the Concept for the Development of the Penal System of
the Russian Federation until 2020 : Order of the Government of the Russian Federation from 14.10.2010 No. 1772-o (in red.
on 23.09.2015)]. Sobr. zakonodatel’stva Ros. Federacii – Collection of legislation of the Russian Federation. 2010. Iss. 43.
Art. 5544. (In Russ.).
6. Ob osushchestvlenii ispolneniya nakazaniya v vide pozhiznennogo zaklyucheniya i drugih dlitel’nyh srokov zaklyucheniya
administraciyami mest lisheniya svobody : rekomendaciya № Rec (2003) 23 Komiteta ministrov Soveta Еvropy : prinyata
09.10.2003 na 855-om zasedanii predstavitelej ministrov [On the implementation of the punishment in the form of life
imprisonment and other long periods of imprisonment by the administrations of places of imrisonment : Recommendation
No. Rec (2003) 23 of the Committee of Ministers of the Council of Europe: adopted 09.10.2003 at the 855th meeting of
representatives of ministers]. Access from the reference legal system «ConsultantPlus». (In Russ.).
7. Ponomarev S. N., Marukov A. F., Geranin V. V. Tyuremnaya sistema Anglii i sovremennoe obshchestvo : monogr. [The
prison system of England and modern society: monograph]. Ryazan, 2002. 324 pp. (In Russ.).
8. Tyufyakov N. A. Pravovaya priroda i harakteristika osnovnyh priznakov instituta izmeneniya vida ispravitel’nogo
uchrezhdeniya dlya osuzhdennyh k lisheniyu svobody: sovremennoe sostoyanie i perspektivy razvitiya [The legal nature and
characteristics of the main features of the institution of changing the type of correctional institution for those sentenced to
imprisonment: current status and development prospects]. Vestn. Omskoj yurid. akad – Bulletin of the Omsk Law Academy.
2017. Iss. 1. Pp. 112–116. (In Russ.).
9. Ugolovnyj kodeks SHvejcarii / nauch. redaktirovanie, predisl. i per. s nem. kand. yurid. nauk A. V. Serebrennikovoj
[Criminal Code of Switzerland / trans. and ed. by A. V. Serebrennikova]. St. Petersburg, 2002. 350 pp. (In Russ.).
10. Harakteristika lic, soderzhashchihsya v ispravitel’nyh koloniyah dlya vzroslyh [Characteristics of persons held
in correctional facilities for adults]. Available at: http://fsin.su/structure/inspector/iao/statistika/Xar-ka%20lic%20
sodergahixsya%20v%20IK/ (accessed 20.01.2019). (In Russ.).
11. Hutorskaya N. B., Makarchuk O. I., Fedosova Е. V. Zarubezhnyj opyt ispolneniya nakazaniya v vide lisheniya svobody
v uchrezhdeniyah otkrytogo i poluotkrytogo tipa [Foreign experience in the execution of sentences in open and half-open
institutions]. Moscow, 2010. 27 pp. (In Russ.).
12. YAkovleva L. V. Izmenenie uslovij soderzhaniya osuzhdennyh v predelah ispravitel’no-trudovoj kolonii : avtoref. dis. …
kand. yurid. nauk [Changing the conditions of detention of convicts within a correctional labor colony : the author’s abstract
of the diss. ... PhD. in Law]. Moscow, 1995. 24 pp. (In Russ.).