The study of the activities of law enforcement agencies in the fight against crime
during the critical periods of the development of national statehood is of undoubted
theoretical and practical interest. On the basis of new archival documents the author
examined the factors, structure and dynamics of crime in the Vologda region in 1985–1991
years, studied the activities of the internal affairs agencies to combat crime. The author
concludes that if in the initial period of perestroika under the conditions of the beginning
of political and socio-economic changes and the revival of public life there was a decline
in crime, then in the late 1980s and early 1990s its jump-like growth has been outlined.
The systemic crisis of soviet society, the disintegration of government, the emergence
of new forms of criminal behavior objectively impeded the work of police officers and
led to an outflow of personnel. Despite the complicated situation the employees of the
internal affairs bodies carried out their work professionally opposed not only petty, but
also professional, organized crime.
Professor of the Department of Philosophy and History of the Vologda Institute of Law and Economics of the Federal Penal Service of Russia, Dsc. in History, Associate Professor
, e-mail email@example.com
1. Informacionnyj listok «Bragu i samogon – iz zhizni von!» [Newsletter «Braga and moonshine – out of life!»]. Vologda,
1988. 4 p. (In Russ.).
2. Vlasov A. Ukreplyat’ zakonnost’, pravoporyadok [Strengthen the rule of law]. Politicheskoe obrazovanie – Political
education, 1988, no. 14, pp. 18–26. (In Russ.).
3. Istoriya policii Vologodskogo kraya [History of the Vologda Territory Police]. Vologda, 2018. 864 p. (In Russ.).
4. Kalashnikova N. V. Istoriya vologodskoj milicii [History of the Vologda police]. Vologda, 2003. 254 p. (In Russ.).
5. Kondakov V. Sozdadim edinyj front [Create a united front]. Krasnyj Sever – Red North, 1987, May 20th. (In Russ.).
6. Lunev V. V. Prestupnost’ ХХ veka. Mirovye, regional’nye i rossijskie tendencii [Crime of the twentieth century. World,
regional and Russian trends]. Moscow, 1999. 525 p. (In Russ.).
7. Ministerstvo vnutrennih del. 1902–2002. Istoricheskij ocherk [Ministry of the Interior 1902–2002. Historical essay].
Moscow, 2004. 648 p. (In Russ.).
8. Professiya «Oper»: 95-letiyu ugolovnogo rozyska posvyashchaetsya [Profession «Oper»: dedicated to the 95th
anniversary of the criminal investigation department]. Vologda, 2013. 236 p. (In Russ.).
9. SHalashov E. V. CHerepoveckaya miliciya: istoriya i sovremennost’ [Cherepovets police: history and modernity].
Cherepovets, 2002. 174 p. (In Russ.).