Introduction: the article is devoted to identifying and characterizing pedagogical capabilities of the regime as a means of correcting convicts. It presents a scientific view of the essence and structure of pedagogical capacity of the regime, as well as highlights its components, each of which is designed to help employees of a correctional facility to apply a normatively defined model of the order of the execution and serving a sentence and assist convicts in getting used to regime requirements. Pedagogical capacity of the regime is considered as a set of resources, which effectiveness is largely associated with by penal system employees’ wiliness and skills for pedagogical activity, as well as the state of the material and technical base for educational work in the correctional facility. Purpose: to reveal the essence and content of pedagogical capacity of the regime as a means of correcting convicts; to identify and characterize conditions of its productive use in the light of modern penal legislation and taking into account scientific achievements in this field of knowledge. Methods: comparative historical analysis, document analysis, monographic method, structural analysis, deduction method, logical generalization, etc. Results: the essence of the concept “pedagogical capacity of the regime as a means of correcting convicts” is revealed and its definition is proposed; key structural components of the phenomenon under study are presented; and conditions for successful application of the educational opportunities inherent in the regime are characterized. Prospects for studying pedagogical capacity of the regime in terms of the importance of applying individual and differentiated approaches in the correctional process are determined.
Keywords: means of correction; regime; pedagogical capacity; upbringing; educational work; pedagogical process; training; personal qualities; educational methods; pedagogical activity; psychological mechanisms.
Doctor of Sciences (Pedagogy), Associate Professor, professor at the Department of Legal Psychology and Pedagogy of the Psychology Faculty of the Vologda Institute of Law and Economics of the Federal Penitentiary Service of Russia, Vologda, Russia
, e-mail firstname.lastname@example.org
1. Ob utverzhdenii Pravil vnutrennego rasporyadka sledstvennykh izolyatorov ugolovno-ispolnitel’noi sistemy, Pravil vnutrennego rasporyadka ispravitel’nykh uchrezhdenii i Pravil vnutrennego rasporyadka ispravitel’nykh tsentrov ugolovnoispolnitel’noi sistemy: prikaz Minyusta Rossii ot 4 iyulya 2022 g. No. 110 [On approval of the Internal Regulations of Pre-trial Detention Facilities of the Penal System, the Internal Regulations of Correctional Institutions and the Internal Regulations of Correctional Centers of the Penal System: Order of the Ministry of Justice of the Russian Federation No. 110 of July 4, 2022]. Available at: https://base.garant.ru/404953247/ (accessed January 15, 2023).
2. Foinitskii I.Ya. Uchenie o nakazanii v svyazi s tyur’movedeniem [Punishment doctrine in connection with prison studies]. Saint Petersburg, 1898. 517 p.
3. Poznyshev S.V. Ocherki tyur’movedeniya [Essays on prison studies]. Moscow, 1915. 296 p.
4. Poznyshev S.V. Osnovy penitentsiarnoi nauki [Fundamentals of penitentiary science]. Moscow, 1923. 342 p.
5. Luchinskii N.F. Osnovy tyuremnogo dela [Fundamentals of prison activities]. Saint Petersburg, 1904. 180 p.
6. Makarenko A.S. Pedagogicheskie sochineniya: v 8 tomakh. Tom 1 [Pedagogical essays: in 8 volumes. Volume 1]. Moscow, 1983. 368 p.
7. Babayan S.L. Pravovoe regulirovanie primeneniya mer pooshchreniya i vzyskaniya v vospitatel’nom vozdeistvii na osuzhdennykh k lisheniyu svobody: avtoref. dis. … kand. yurid. nauk [Legal regulation of the use of incentives and penalties in the educational impact on those sentenced to imprisonment: Candidate of Sciences (Law) dissertation abstract]. Ryazan, 2003. 28 p.
8. Galkin M.M. Distsiplinarnaya otvetstvennost’ osuzhdennykh kak sredstvo bor’by s narusheniyami rezhima v vospitatel’notrudovykh koloniyakh: dis. … kand. yurid. nauk [Disciplinary liability of convicts as a means of combating violations of the regime in educational and labor colonies: Candidate of Sciences (Law) dissertation]. Moscow, 1985. 193 p.
9. Dergachev A.V. Pravovoe regulirovanie provedeniya rezhimnykh meropriyatii v ispravitel’nykh koloniyakh: dis. … kand. yurid. nauk [Legal regulation of regime measures in correctional facilities: Candidate of Sciences (Law) dissertation]. Ryazan, 2012. 218 p.
10. Zharkikh M.N. Prestupnost’ sredi osuzhdennykh v ispravitel’nykh uchrezhdeniyakh i mery ee preduprezhdeniya: avtoref. dis. … kand. yurid. nauk [Crime among convicts in correctional institutions and measures to prevent it: Candidate of Sciences (Law) dissertation abstract]. Kazan, 2008. 22 p.
11. Ishigeev V.S. Penitentsiarnye prestupleniya: kharakteristika, preduprezhdenie, otvetstvennost’: avtoref. dis. d-ra yurid. nauk [Penitentiary crimes: characteristics, prevention, liability: Doctor of Sciences (Law) dissertation abstract]. Krasnoyarsk, 2004. 46 p.
12. Vetoshkin S.A. Penitentsiarnaya pedagogika kak nauka i oblast’ prakticheskoi deyatel’nosti: dis. d-ra ped. Nauk [Penitentiary pedagogy as a science and a field of practical activity: Doctor of Sciences (Pedagogy) dissertation]. Moscow, 2002. 327 p.
13. Korolev I.I. Obespechenie rezhima v ispravitel’no-trudovykh koloniyakh (pravovye i organizatsionnye voprosy): avtoref. dis. … kand. yurid. nauk [Ensuring the regime in correctional labor facilities (legal and organizational issues): Candidate of Sciences (Law) dissertation abstract]. Ryazan, 1996. 19 p.
14. Vilkova A.V. Gendernaya kontseptsiya i metodologiya formirovaniya dukhovno-nravstvennykh tsennostei nesovershennoletnikh osuzhdennykh zhenskogo pola: dis. d-ra ped. nauk [Gender concept and methodology of the formation of spiritual and moral values of female juvenile convicts: Doctor of Sciences (Pedagogy) dissertation]. Novgorod, 2016. 427 p.
15. Zautorova E.V. Nravstvenno-esteticheskoe vospitanie osuzhdennykh: avtoref. dis. d-ra ped. nauk [Moral and aesthetic education of convicts: Doctor of Sciences (Pedagogy) dissertation abstract]. Moscow, 2011. 47 p.
16. Kovtunenko L.V. Kontseptsiya resotsializatsii nesovershennoletnikh osuzhdennykh v pedagogicheskoi srede vospitatel’noi kolonii: avtoref. dis. d-ra ped. nauk [The concept of resocialization of juvenile convicts in the pedagogical environment of a juvenile correctional facility: Doctor of Sciences (Pedagogy) dissertation abstract]. Voronezh, 2018. 48 p.
17. Debol’skii M.G. Possibilities of the psychological service of the penal system in the implementation of the goals of punishment. Razvitie lichnosti = Personality Development, 2012, no. 3, pp. 230–241. (In Russ.).
18. Dmitriev Yu.A., Kazak B.B. Penitentsiarnaya psikhologiya [Penitentiary Psychology]. Rostov-on-Don, 2007. 681 p. 19. Pozdnyakov V.M. Reform of the penitentiary system of Russia and new tasks of penitentiary psychology. Psikhopedagogika v pravookhranitel’nykh organakh = Psychopedagogy in Law Enforcement Bodies, 2012, no. 2 (49), pp. 3–6. (In Russ.).
20. Shakirov D.Kh. Sotsial’no-filosofskie aspekty protsessa ispravleniya osuzhdennykh v usloviyakh reformirovaniya ugolovno-ispolnitel’noi sistemy: avtoref. dis. … kand. filosof. nauk [Socio-philosophical aspects of the process of correction of convicts in the conditions of reforming the penal system: Candidate of Siences (Philisophy) dissertation abstract]. Ufa, 2004. 21 p.
21. Egorova T.V Slovar’ inostrannykh slov sovremennogo russkogo yazyka [Dictionary of foreign words of the modern Russian language]. Moscow, 2014. 800 p.
22. Hobfoll S.E. Conservation of resources: a new attempt at conceptualizing stress. American Psychologist, 1989, no. 44 (3), pp. 513–524.
23. BozhinskayaT.L. Pedagogical potential of the Russian regional culture in a context of socially-philosophical researches. Teoriya i praktika obshchestvennogo razvitiya = Theory and Practice of Social Development, 2010, no. 2, pp. 87–94. (In Russ.).
24. Panova O.B. Pedagogicheskoe obespechenie pravovoi resotsializatsii nesovershennoletnikh osuzhdennykh v vospitatel’noi kolonii: diss. … d-ra ped. nauk [Pedagogical support of legal re-socialization of juvenile convicts in an educational colony: Doctor of Sciences (Pedagogy) dissertation]. Yaroslavl, 2013. 489 p.
25. Baiborodova L.V., Rozhkov M.I. Tsennostno-smyslovye osnovy vospitatel’noi deyatel’nosti [Value-semantic foundations of educational activity]. Yaroslavl, 2020. 367 p.
26. Karpov A.V. Reflexivity as a mental property and methods of its diagnosis. Psikhologicheskii zhurnal = Psychological Journal, 2003, vol. 24, no. 5, pp. 45–57. (In Russ.).
27. Ezhegodnyi doklad o deyatel’nosti Upolnomochennogo po pravam cheloveka v Rossiiskoi Federatsii za 2021 god [Annual report on the activities of the Commissioner for Human Rights in the Russian Federation for 2021]. Available at: http://duma.gov.ru›news/54763/ (accessed April 30, 2023).