Shortcomings in the modern higher education system actualize the importance of providing high-quality legal education capable of training competitive and in-demand lawyers. The lack of a regulatory framework that meets modern realities in terms of legal regulation of legal education, partial inconsistency of the main educational programs and curricula of higher educational institutions, requirements of the federal state standard of higher education in the field of training “Jurisprudence”, the lack of legislative regulation of the possibility for persons without a basic legal education to take master’s courses, insufficient professional training of teaching staff; the predominance of the theoretical part of training of lawyers over the practical component forms a set of factors that generally reduce the effectiveness of the training of professional personnel. The purpose of the study is to identify a combination of factors, including legislative gaps, negatively affecting the development of modern legal education in the Republic of Armenia and the Russian Federation, as well as to determine key prospects for its development in accordance with international standards and the needs of potential employers. Methods: comparative-legal, empirical methods of description, interpretation; theoretical methods of formal and dialectical logic; private-scientific methods: legal-dogmatic and method of interpretation of legal norms. Conclusions: the analysis of normative-legal, as well as relevant local acts of the Russian Federation, the Republic of Armenia and other CIS countries indicates that at present in most higher educational institutions the practical component of the training of lawyers prevails over the theoretical one, which, accordingly, requires a speedy resolution. The main trends in the development of legal education in the CIS countries, successful world practice and world standards of higher legal education necessitate the expansion of digitalization processes in the training of lawyers, strengthening the competence of future lawyers in matters of legal information security. The modernization of modern legal education should be continuous, taking into account the needs of the world market. It is crucial to develop a national strategy for improving legal education and elaborate local acts in higher educational institutions regulating the issues of digitalizing legal education. It is of great importance to increase the digital literacy and competence of the teaching staff and train future lawyers in these skills in order to boost demand for them. Realization of convicts’ right to receive legal education is also relevant.
Keywords: higher education; digitalization; legal education in the Russian Federation and the Republic of Armenia; innovation; educational process; quality of legal education.
PhD in Law, Lecturer of the Department of Criminal Law and Criminal Procedure Law of the Institute of Law and Politics of the Russian-Armenian University, Yerevan, Republic of Armenia
, e-mail firstname.lastname@example.org
Doctor of Sciences (Law), Professor, Distinguished Lawyer of the Republic of Armenia, Judge of the Criminal Chamber of the Cassation Court of the Republic of Armenia, professor at the Russian-Armenian University, Chairman of the Armenian Representative Office of the Regional Public Organization “Union of Criminologists and Criminalists”, Yerevan, Republic of Armenia
, e-mail email@example.com
1. Avetisyan P.S., Gevorgyan N.M. Free educational environment as the basis of human capital and relationships between social sectors. Ekonomika regiona=Economy of Regions, 2020, vol. 16, no. 2, pp. 494–506. (In Russ.).
2. Beresneva E.V., Zaitsev M.A., Selezenev R.V., Darovskikh L.V. et al. Didactic potential of modern information technologies in training a chemistry graduate. Integratsiya obrazovaniya=Integration of Education, 2018, vol. 22, no. 1. S. 177–192. (In Russ.).
3. Gorbunova N.V. Tsifrovizatsiya kak prioritetnoe napravlenie moderniza-tsii rossiiskogo obrazovaniya [Digitalization as a
priority direction of modernization of Russian education]. Saratov: Saratov. sots.-ekonom. in-t (fil.) REU im. G.V. Plekhanova,
2019. 152 p. ISBN 978-5-4345-0510-9.
4. Dadayan E.V., Storozheva A.N. On the issue of training in the magistracy of persons who do not have a basic legal
education. Uspekhi sovremennoi nauki=Successes of Modern Science, 2016, vol. 1., no. 3, pp. 33–36. (In Russ.).
5. Zaitsev O.A. Directions of improving legal education Gosudarstvennaya sluzhba=Public Administrartion, 2020, vol. 22,
no. 1, pp. 85–91. (In Russ.).
6. Kurochkin S.A. Mezhdunarodnyi kommercheskii arbitrazh i treteiskoe razbiratel’stvo [International commercial arbitration
and arbitration proceedings]. Moscow: Infotropik Media, 2013. 260 p. ISBN 978-5-9998-0174-6.
7. Matyusheva T.N. Improvement of quality of legal education in solution of problem of lawful state and civil society formation.
Sovremennoe pravo=Modern Law, 2015, no. 11, pp. 68–72. (In Russ.).
8. On the labor rehabilitation of former convicts. Zakon.ru – pervaya so-tsial’naya set’ dlya yuristov: sait [Law.ru – the
first social network for lawyers: website]. Available at: https://zakon.ru/blog/2021/7/25/o_trudovoj_reabilitacii_byvshih_
osuzhdennyh (In Russ.). (Accessed October 8, 2022).
9. Ostracism in modern realities: defeat in the rights of persons with a cancelled or withdrawn criminal record. Lifetime
ban on the profession. Pravorub. Professional’noe soobshchestvo yuristov i advokatov: sait [The truth-teller. Professional
community of lawyers and advocates: website]. Available at: https://user572897.pravorub.ru/personal/80110.html (In
Russ.). (Accessed October 8, 2022).
10. Ryzhova N.I., Sokolov D.A. Information and legal competence as a basis for development of the legal culture of the
modern specialist in the conditions of global informatization. Sovremennye problemy nauki i obrazovaniya=Modern
Problems of Science and Education, 2018, no. 2. Available at: https://science-education.ru/ru/article/view?id=27481 (In
Russ.). (Accessed October 8, 2022).
11. Fishman B.E. Research and education center as a mechanism for development of the university. Vysshee obrazovanie
v Rossii=Higher Education in Russia, 2015, no. 3, pp. 113–120. (In Russ.).
12. Tsifrovizatsiya ekonomicheskikh sistem: teoriya i praktika: monografiya [Digitalization of economic systems: theory and
practice: monograph]. Ed. by Babkin A.V. Saint Petersburg: POLITEKh-PRESS, 2020. 796 p. ISBN 978-5-7422-6931-1.
13. Elektronnoe obuchenie: rukovodstvo po primeneniyu i vnedreniyu v vuze [E-learning: guidelines for application and
implementation at the university]. Ed. by Zubikova O. et al. Kostanai: TOO “Tsentrum”, 2016. 147 p. ISBN 978-601-7551-
14. Burns K., Keyes M., Wilson Th., Stagg-Taylor J. et al. Active learning in law by flipping the classroom: an enquiry into
effectiveness and engagement. Legal Education Review, 2017, vol. 27, no. 1. Available at: http://classic.austlii.edu.au/au/
journals/LegEdRev/2017/9.pdf (accessed October 8, 2022).
15.Kondrashov I. et al. LegalTech and lawyers of the future. Zakon=Law, 2017, no. 11, pp. 20–36. (In Russ.).