Introduction: the article addresses problems of organizing, functioning and developing the Israel Prison Service in the context of maximum proximity to national realities and appropriate terminology. Purpose: on the basis of analysis of the current state and results of the Israel Prison Service activities, to identify and describe its structural and functional features, current problems of administrative management and further development prospects. Methods: comparative legal, formal legal, empirical interpretation methods. Results: the analysis of Israeli penitentiary system development has shown that its functioning is in line with the so-called evidence-based policy. This science-based policy is focused on managing activities of the department on the basis of identified and scientifically proved patterns. It is possible to work out an effective strategy for fulfilling the functions assigned to the department, resist modern challenges and threats, and determine ways to improve and develop the country’s penal system. Conclusions: the modern Israel Prison Service is in the stage of development and transformation. Changing expectations and demands of society determine cyclical changes in penitentiary and legal policy, and as a result, a deep public reassessment of the role that the Prison Service plays in the Jewish state. Solution of the tasks, such as raising the status and authority of the Prison Service, as well as purposeful creation of an attractive and socially respected image of civil servants (employees) of the penitentiary system has become an urgent necessity. The conclusion is made that nowadays in Israel cooperation of Israel Prison Service and fundamental science has ensured development of departmental penitentiary science that reasonably determines prospects and trends in the development of the Prison Service.
Keywords: Ministry of Public Security; Israel Prison Service; prison department; evidence-based policy; penitentiary science; administrative management.
Doctor of Sciences (Pedagogy), Candidate of Sciences (Law), Professor, Head of the Department of Legal Disciplines of the Jewish University, Moscow, Russia, professor of the Department of Civil Law and Procedure of S.Y. Witte Moscow University,
, e-mail firstname.lastname@example.org
1. Kernes A. The Israeli Bastille: How the Jews stormed the prison in Akko. U-Jew! Proekt Ob”edinennoi evreiskoi obshchiny Ukrainy: sait [U-Jew! Project of the United Jewish Community of Ukraine: website] Available at: https://ujew.com.ua/history/izrailskayabastiliya-kak-evrei-vzyali-shturmom-tyurmu-v-akko (In Russ.). (Accessed December 14, 2021).
2. Kulikov V. Let them sit quietly. The Prison Department is studying Israel’s experience in keeping terrorists. Rossiiskaya gazeta=Russian Newspaper, 2015, no. 8. (In Russ.).
3. Leibovich-Dar S. To protest or not to be: a month in the protests that swept the nation. Liberal’nyi zhurnal=Liberal Journal, 2020. Available at: https://theliberal.co.il/%D7%9C%D7%9E%D7%97%D7%95%D7%AA (In Hebrew). (Accessed December 14, 2021).
4. Lobanova Yu.V. Manipulation of consciousness: strengthening the impact in the information space. Sovremennaya nauka: aktual’nye problemy teorii i praktiki. Seriya: Poznanie=Modern Science: actual problems of theory and practice. Series: Cognition, 2019, no. 6(93), pp. 117–120. (In Russ.).
5. Mingazov S. “Terrible catastrophe”: in Israel, about 40 people were killed in a stampede on Mount Meron. Forbes.ru: setevoe izdanie [Forbes.ru: online publication], 2021. Available at: https://www.forbes.ru/newsroom/obshchestvo/428317-uzhasnayakatastrofa-v-izraile-v-davke-na-gore-meron-pogibli-okolo-40 (In Russ.). (Accessed December 14, 2021).
6. Penitentsiarnye sistemy i penitentsiarnye reformy v zarubezhnykh stranakh: analiticheskii obzor [Penitentiary systems and penitentiary reforms in foreign countries: an analytical review]. Compiled by Ovsyannikova A., Rossman E. Moscow: Tsentr strategicheskikh razrabotok “Instituty i obshchestvo”, 2017. 42 p.
7. Translations of laws. Knesset: ofitsial’nyi sait Parlamenta Izrailya [Knesset: official website of the Israeli Parliament]. Available at: https://main.knesset.gov.il/ru/activity/pages/law.aspx?LawId=1 (In Russ.). (Accessed December 14, 2021).
8. Stepanov A.V., Bobrov A.M. Department of prisons and penitentiary institutions of Israel –SHABAS. Vedomosti ugolovno-ispolnitel’noi sistemy=News of the penal enforcement system, 2016, no. 5(168), pp. 44–47. (In Russ.).
9. Strategic developments of Russia adjusted for the experience of Spain. Russkaya Ispaniya: sait [Russian Spain: website]. Available at: https://russpain.com/old-news/news-18150/ (In Russ.). (Accessed December 14, 2021).
10. Israeli Prisons. Pro-Israel=About Israel. Available at: http://www.pro-israel.ru/tyurmiv-israele.html (In Russ.). (Accessed February 2, 2022).
11. Prison Department. Ministestvo obshchestvennoi bezopasnosti Izrailya: ofitsial’nyi sait [Ministry of Public Security of Israel: official web-site]. Available at: https://www.gov.il/ru/departments/general/about_prison_service (In Russ.). (Accessed December 12, 2021).
12. Aminov I.I., Davydov N.A., Dedyukhin K.G. et al. Yuridicheskaya psikhologiya: uchebnik [Legal psychology: Textbook]. Moscow: Yuniti-Dana, 2012. 416 p.
13. Ahronheim A. Palestinian fugitives might have been caught, but story isn’t over – analysis. The Jerusalem Post, 2021. Available at: https://www.jpost.com/israel-news/the-prisoners-are-caught-but-the-story-is-far-from-over-679810 (accessed December 14, 2021).
14. Breuer E. Israel prisons service & police: time for reevaluation? The Jerusalem Post, 2021. Available at: https://www.jpost.com/israel-news/israel-prisons-service-andpolice-time-for-reevaluation-687648 (accessed December 14, 2021).
15. Fabian E. “Direct responsibility”: Prisons Service chief blames Gilboa warden for jailbreak. The Times of Israel, 2022. Available at: https://www.timesofisrael.com/directresponsibility-prisons-service-chief-blames-gilboa-warden-for-jailbreak/ (accessed January 14, 2022).
16. Farrington D.P. Short history of randomized experiments in criminology: a meager feast. Evaluation Review, 2003, vol. 27, no. 3, pp. 218–227. DOI:10.1177/0193841X03027003002.
17. History in the making at the Israel Prison Service – establishment of a Human Resources and Training Branch. Ministry of Public Security of Israel: official website. Available at: https://www.gov.il/en/departments/news/cohen-head-hr-dept-ips-010721 (accessed December14, 2021).
18. Israel Prison Services head remains in post despite prison outbreak. The Jerusalem Post, 2021. Available at: https://translated.turbopages.org/proxy_u/en-ru.ru.28c091a9-61fab6ee-505d52ea-4722d776562/https/www.jpost.com/breaking-news/likudmk-miri-regev-establish-inquiry-to-investigate-prison-security-678972 (accessed December 14, 2021).
19. Haviv N., Shoham E., Hasisi B., Weisburd D.L., Toren-Rozanski Y. Judaism intertwines with worldly good: a qualitative study on religious rehabilitation programs in the Israeli Prison Service. International Journal of Criminology and Sociology, 2020, no. 9, pp. 154–170. DOI: 10.6000/1929-4409.2020.09.14.
20. Neyroud P. Disley E. Technology and policing: implications for fairness and legitimacy. Policing: A Journal of Policy and Practice, 2008, vol. 2, no. 2, pр. 226–232. DOI: 10.1093/police/pan017.
21. Neyroud P., Weisburd D. Transforming the police through science: the challenge of ownership. Policing: a Journal of Policy and Practice, 2014, no. 8, pp. 287–293. DOI: 10.1093/police/pan017.
22. Operation Guardian of the Walls. Israel Ministry of Foreign Affairs: official website. Available at: https://mfa.gov.il/MFA/ForeignPolicy/Terrorism/Palestinian/Pages/Operation-Guardian-of-the-Walls-10-May-021.aspx?_x_tr_sl=en&_x_tr_tl=ru&_x_tr_hl=ru&_x_tr_pto=sc (accessed December 14, 2021).
23. Sherman L.W. Evidence-based policing: essay. National Police Foundation: official website. Available at: https://www.policefoundation.org/publication/evidence-basedpolicing/(accessed December 14, 2021).
24. Silkoff Sh. Police re-open Gilboa Prison “pimping” case following demands by Public Security Min. The Jerusalem Post, 2021. Available at: https://www.jpost.com/breakingnews/female-idf-soldiers-pimped-out-to-satisfy-gilboa-prisoners-warden-686848 (accessed December 14, 2021).
25. Tangen Page М. The role of penal policy in the resolution of low-intensity. Civil Wars, 2000, vol. 3, no. 4, pp. 31–48. doi: 10.1080/13698240008402453.
26. Telep C.E., Weisburd D. Generating knowledge: a case study of the national policing improvement agency program on systematic reviews in policing. Journal of Experimental Criminology, 2014, no. 10, pp. 371–398.
27. Weisburd D., Jonathan T., Perry S. The Israeli model for policing terrorism: goals, strategies and open questions. Criminal Justice and Behavior, 2009, no. 36 (12), pp. 1 259–1 278. doi: 10.1177/0093854809345597.
28. Weisburd D., Hasisi B. The winding road to evidence-based policy in corrections: a case study of the Israel Prison Service. Israel Law Review, 2018, vol. 51, no. 1, pp. 111–125. doi: 10.1017/S0021223717000218.
29. Weisburd D., Neyroud P. Police science: towards a new paradigm. Charleston: Bibliolife DBA of Bibilio Bazaar II LLC, 2012. 28 p.
30. Zur Y. Kubovich Y. In what it says is a world first, an Israeli university will expand its use of a prison to conduct academic research, using prison guards, Haaretz, 2017. Available at: https://www.haaretz.com/israel-news/.premium-in-world-first-university-strikes-dealto-use-prison-for-research-1.5456088 (accessed December 14, 2021).