Introduction: the article discusses the regulatory framework and practice of implementing a principle of rational use of coercive measures enshrined in Article 8 of the Penal Enforcement Code of the Russian Federation. Ambiguity of its understanding is noted in the theory of penal enforcement law. Research: using a systematic approach as a methodological basis, the author substantiates that this principle is not reduced to the economy of coercion, but assumes its necessity and sufficiency in specific conditions of penal enforcement activity. Singling out penalties from the entire system of coercive measures, the author simultaneously identifies subsystems of disciplinary (penal enforcement) and criminal liability of convicts in places of deprivation of liberty. They, in turn, can be studied as model systems enshrined in the law, and systems of measures implemented in practice. Using the published data of departmental statistics of the Federal Penitentiary Service as arguments, the author shows that both systems in the enforcement of imprisonment do not fully achieve their goals, and therefore the principle of rationality of coercion is not implemented effectively enough. Conclusions: it is proposed to change the name and content of Article 321 of the Criminal Code of the Russian Federation to “Systematic malicious violations of the established procedure for serving a sentence” and amend its content. At the same time, a list of malicious violations of the order of serving a sentence established in Part 1 and Part 2 of Article 116 of the Penal Enforcement Code of the Russian Federation should be revised; an intermediate category of major violations should be introduced and a repeated mere violation should be excluded from their number of malicious ones. In addition, a head of the institution should be entitled not to recognize a violation as malicious when a convicted person commits an act provided for in Part 1 of Article 116 of the Penal Enforcement Code, depending on circumstances of the case and identity of the culprit.
Keywords: Penitentiary law and order, rationality of coercion, penitentiary liability.
Doctor of Sciences (Law), Professor, Honored Lawyer of the Russian Federation, Head of the Department of Penal Enforcement Law and Criminology of the National Research Tomsk State University, Tomsk, Russia, WoS ResearcherID: 0-8426-2014
, e-mail firstname.lastname@example.org
1. Babayan S.L. Legal regulation of incentives and penalties in correctional institutions. Prestuplenie i nakazanie=Crime and Punishment, 2004, no. 12, pp. 26–28. (In Russ.).
2. Bregzin N.I. Kriminal’naya obstanovka (situatsiya) v ispravitel’nykh uchrezhdeniyakh Rossii. Teoreticheskie i prikladnye problemi [Criminal situation in correctional institutions of Russia. Theoretical and applied problems]. Ryazan. APU FSIN Rossii, 2006. 326 p.
3. Zvecharovskii I.S., Parkhomenko D.S. System of criminal penalties: theory, law, practice. Ugolovnoe pravo=Criminal Law, 2019, no. 4, pp. 43–48. (In Russ.).
4. Kommentarii k Ugolovno-ispolnitel’nomu kodeksu Rossiiskoi Federatsii [Commentary on the Penal Enforcement Code of the Russian Federation]. Ed. by. A.I. Zubkov. Moscow: Infa. M. Norma. 1997. 528 p.
5. Lankin N.I. On the principles of penal enforcement law. In: Volovich V.F. (Ed.). Aktual’nye problemy gosudarstva i prava v sovremennyi period: sb. statei [Actual problems of state and law in the modern period: collection of articles]. Tomsk: Izd-vo Tom. un-ta, 1998. Pp. 49–50. (In Russ.).
6. Legostaev S.V. Dezorganizatsiya deyatel’nosti uchrezhdenii, obespechivayushchikh izolyatsiyu ot obshchestva. Avtoref. diss… kand.yurid.nauk [Disorganization of activities of institutions providing isolation from society: Candidate of Sciences (Law) dissertation abstract]. Ryazan, 2010. 23 p.
7. Lobanova E.S., Kirillova T.V., Smykovskii V.V. Developing the readiness of correctional officers to act in emergency situations in the context of implementation of the competencebased approach in educational process. Penitentsiarnaya nauka=Penitentiary Science, 2021, vol. 15. № 2 (54), pp. 350–362. (In Russ.).
8. Obshchaya chast’ novogo Ugolovno-ispolnitel’nogo kodeksa Rossiiskoi Federatsii. Itogi i obosnovaniya teoreticheskogo modelirovaniya [General part of the amended Penal Enforcement Code of the Russian Federation. Results and justifications of theoretical modeling]. Moscow: Yurisprudentsiya. 2017. 328 p.
9. Penitentsiarnaya kriminologiya [Penitentiary criminology]. Ryazan. APU FSIN Rossii. 2009, 567 p.
10. Peregudov F.I., Tarasenko F.P. Osnovy sistemnogo analiza [Fundamentals of system analysis]. Tomsk: Izdatel’stvo NTL. 2001. 369 p.
11. Preduprezhdenie penitentsiarnykh pravonarushenii: metodicheskoe posobie [Prevention of penitentiary offenses: methodical manual]. Ed. by V.V. Tsaturov. Moscow: OU FSIN, NII FSIN RF. 2014. 98 p.
12. Primak A.A. Ugolovnaya otvetstvennost’ za prestupleniya, posyagayushchie na ustanovlennyi poryadok ispolneniya nakazaniya v vide lisheniya svobody: Avtoref. diss… kand. yurid. nauk [Criminal liability for crimes infringing on the established procedure for execution of punishment in the form of imprisonment: Candidate of Sciences (Law) dissertation abstract]. Krasnoyarsk. SFU. 2003. 26 p.
13. Remenson A.L. Izbrannye Trudy [Selected works]. Tomsk: Izdatel’skii Dom TGU. 2003. 100 p.
14. Remenson A.L How to influence malicious regime violators. K novoi zhizni=To a New Life, 1964, no. 8, pp. 53–55. (In Russ.).
15. Rossiiskoe ugolovno-ispolnitel’noe pravo. Tom I. Obshchaya chast’ [Russian Penal Enforcement law. Volume I. General part]. Ed. by V.E. Eminov, V.N. Orlov. Moscow: MGYuA, 2010. 344 p.
16. Sagatovskii V.N. Experience in building a categorical apparatus of a systematic approach. Filosofskie nauki=Russian Journal of Philosophical Sciences,1976, no. 3, pp. 67–78. (In Russ.).
17. Sagatovskii V.N. Osnovy sistematizatsii vseobshchikh kategorii [Fundamentals of systematization of universal categories]. Tomsk: Izdatel’skii Dom TGU, 1973. 431 p.
18. Sizaya E.A. Printsipy ugolovno-ispolnitel’nogo prava: voprosy teorii i praktiki [Problem of principles in penal enforcement law: history and modernity]. Cheboksary: ChKI RUK. 2008 384 p.
19. Utkin V.A. Nakazanie i ispravitel’no-trudovoe vozdeistvie [Punishment and correctional labor impact]. Tomsk: Izdatel’skii Dom TGU. 1984. 190 p.
20. Fedyaev A.E. Mery vzyskaniya, primenyaemye v ispravitel’nykh uchrezhdeniyakh [Penalties applied in correctional institutions]. Barnaul. 2004. 123 p.
21. Chubrakov S.V. Problema printsipov v ugolovno-ispolnitel’nom prave: istoriya i sovremennost’ [Problem of principles in penal enforcement law: History and modernity]. Tomsk: Izdatel’skii Dom TGU. 2015. 128 p.