Introduction: we study the negative impact of the prison subculture on the personality of a correctional officer. Amid the social crisis caused by the collapse of the USSR the prison subculture started to penetrate into popular culture. This was reflected in the widespread use of prison slang, increased interest in the way of “thieves’ life”, and the popularization and romanticization of crime bosses. Behind all this was the devaluation of the norms of law and the state, and the distortion of the status of the penal system officer. Aim: on the basis of generalization of modern experience in studying the impact of the prison subculture, we describe main directions aimed at preventing the destructive impact of the prison subculture on the personality of young correctional staff. The article deals with the issue of modern dissemination of the prison subculture among young people via the mass media, the Internet and oral transmission of information. Methods: we use empirical data collection methods (questionnaires, conversations, interviews), and methods of statistical analysis and system analysis of the data collected. Results: the findings of our research show that the prison subculture infects not only disadvantaged teenagers, but also young people from a socially favorable environment, who then enter departmental universities and serve in correctional institutions. Infection is assessed by the degree of internal involvement of a young person in the prison subculture. In the lightest form of this infection, they simply are well informed about what it is, know the meaning of prison slang expressions, understand the logic of the functioning of groups of inmates, and are favorably disposed toward these phenomena. When the infection is more complex, future and young correctional officers not only demonstrate awareness and tolerance, but also consider the prison subculture necessary and useful; they do not condemn colleagues who use it in solving official tasks and are themselves ready, if necessary, to act in this way. Discussion: general awareness of the specifics of the prison subculture is necessary for the penal system officer, but it should remain a professional knowledge that helps to assess social relations in the group and the operational situation in the correctional institution adequately. At the same time, the prison subculture should receive an objective assessment as an anti-humanistic and anti-legal phenomenon. Therefore, there is a need for systematic and targeted work to prevent the spread and deforming effects of the prison subculture among cadets of departmental universities and young correctional officers.
Keywords: Subculture; prison subculture; inmates; correctional institutions; cadets; correctional officers; prevention of professional deformation; correction of the personality of a penal officer
Doctor of Sciences (Pedagogy), Candidate of Sciences (Law), Associate Professor, professor of the Department of Personality Psychology and Special Education at Vladimir State University Named After Alexander and Nikolay Stoletovs, Vladimir, Russian
Federation, professor of the Department of Psychology and Pedagogy of Professional Activity at Vladimir Law Institute of FSIN Russia, Vladimir, Russian Federation, professor of the Department of Legal Psychology and Pedagogy at Vologda Institute of Law and Economics of FSIN Russia, Vologda, Russian Federation.
, e-mail firstname.lastname@example.org
Candidate of Sciences (Psychology), associate professor of the Department of Psychology and Pedagogy of Professional Activity at Vladimir Law Institute of FSIN Russia, Vladimir, Russian Federation
, e-mail email@example.com
1. Anfinogenov V.A. Human needs, interests and values in the prison subculture. Obshchestvo i pravo=Society and Law, 2014, no. 1 (47). Available at: https://cyberleninka.ru/article/n/chelovecheskie-potrebnosti-interesy-i-tsennosti-vtyuremnoy-subkulture (accessed May 19, 2021). (In Russ.).
2. Belousova M.M., Koval’chuk O.V., Rimskii V.P. Methodology of subcultures studies in social sciences and humanities. Paper 2. Genesis and evolution of subcultures of childhood and youth. Nauchnye vedomosti BelGU. Seriya “Filosofiya. Sotsiologiya. Pravo”=Belgorod State University Scientific Bulletin. Philosophy. Sociology. Law, 2010, no. 8 (79), issue 12, pp. 30–40. (In Russ.).
3. Gusev M.V. The problem of the spread of the criminal subculture in Russia. Vestnik Kuzbasskogo gosudarstvennogo tekhnicheskogo universiteta=Bulletin KuzSTU, 2007, no. 5, pp. 112–115. (In Russ.).
4. Kleimenova E.G. Prison subculture as a special type of social interaction. Vestnik Udmurtskogo universiteta. Seriya “Filosofiya. Psikhologiya. Pedagogika”=Bulletin of Udmurt University. Series Philosophy. Psychology. Pedagogy, 2012, no.
4. Available at: https://cyberleninka.ru/article/n/tyuremnaya-subkultura-kak-osobyy-vid-sotsialnogo-vzaimodeystviya (accessed October 12, 2020). (In Russ.).
5. Knyazeva O.V. Sivtsova M.O. Neutralizing the influence of the prison subculture as a component of the process of preventing prison-related crime In: Teoreticheskie i prakticheskie problemy razvitiya ugolovno-ispolnitel’noi sistemy v Rossiiskoi Federatsii i za rubezhom. Sbornik tezisov vystuplenii i dokladov uchastnikov Mezhdunarodnoi nauchnoprakticheskoi konferentsii [Theoretical and practical problems of the development of the penal system in the Russian Federation and abroad. Collection of abstracts of speeches and reports of participants of the international research-topractice conference]. 2018. Pp. 607–613. (In Russ.).
6. Kozhevnikov T.S. Tyuremnaya subkul’tura: ucheb. posobie [Prison subculture: a textbook]. Second edition, revised and supplemented. Kirov: FKOU DPO Kir. IPKR FSIN Rossii, 2013. P. 31.
7. Luzgin S.A. Directions, strategies and programs for the prevention of elements of prison subculture among young people. In: Filippov M.N. (Ed.). Materialy devyatnadtsatoi Vserossiiskoi nauchno-prakticheskoi konferentsii posvyashchennoi pamyati doktora pedagogicheskikh nauk, professora, Zasluzhennogo deyatelya nauki RF Ivana Pavlovicha Bashkatova [Proceedings of the nineteenth All-Russian scientific and practical conference dedicated to the memory of Ivan Pavlovich Bashkatov, Doctor of Sciences (Pedagogy), Professor, Honored Scientist of the Russian Federation]. 2019. Pp. 128–133. (In Russ.).
8. Luzgin S.A., Kirillova T.V., Kuznetsov M.I. Prevention of the spread of the prison subculture among adolescents and youth. Vedomosti UIS=Bulletin of the Penal System, 2019, no. 7 (206). Available at: https://cyberleninka.ru/article/n/profilaktikarasprostraneniya-tyuremnoy-subkultury-v-srede-podrostkov-i-molodezhi (accessed March 1, 2021). (In Russ.).
9. Naruslanov E.F., Novikov A.V., Gorovoi V.V. Prevention of youth extremism in institutions of the penal system. Yuridicheskaya nauka=Legal Science, 2019, no. 3. Available at: https://cyberleninka.ru/article/n/profilaktika-molodezhnogo-ekstremizmav-uchrezhdeniyah-ugolovno-ispolnitelnoy-sistemy (accessed March 1, 2021). (In Russ.).
10. Oleinik, A.N. Tyuremnaya subkul’tura v Rossii: ot povsednevnoi zhizni do gosudarstvennoi vlasti [Prison subculture in Russia: from everyday life to state power]. Moscow, 2001. 418 p.
11. Polishchuk V.E., Ponomarev S.B. To the issue of the axiology of prison subculture. In: Penitentsiarnaya bezopasnost’: natsional’nye traditsii i zarubezhnyi opyt. Materialy Vserossiiskoi nauchno-prakticheskoi konferentsii, v 2-ukh chastyakh [Penitentiary security: national traditions and foreign experience. Materials of the All-Russian scientific and practical conference, in 2 parts]. Samarskii yuridicheskii institut FSIN Rossii. 2019. Pp. 180–182. (In Russ.).
12. Ponomarev S.B. Prison subculture from the standpoint of the theory of systems. Vedomosti UIS=Bulletin of the Penal System, 2020, no. 1 (212). Available at: https://cyberleninka.ru/article/n/tyuremnaya-subkultura-s-pozitsii-teorii-sistem (accessed May 19, 2021). (In Russ.).
13. Rumyantsev N.V. On the status and measures for the prevention of criminal subculture among minors held in the institutions of the penitentiary system. Vestnik Moskovskogo universiteta MVD Rossii=Bulletin of Moscow University of the Ministry of Internal Affairs of the Russian Federation, 2019, no. 3. Available at: https://cyberleninka.ru/article/n/o-sostoyanii-imerah-po-profilaktike-kriminalnoi-subkultury-sredi-nesovershennoletnih-soderzhaschihsya-v-uchrezhdeniyah-ugolovno (accessed March 1, 2021). (In Russ.).
14. Tishchenko N.V. Tyuremnaya subkul’tura v prostranstve kul’turnykh praktik. Avtoref. diss. na soisk. uch. st. doktora kul’tur [Prison subculture in the space of cultural practices. Doctor of Culture dissertation abstract]. Saratov, 2013. 42 p.
15. Tkacheva E.P. Game function in prison subculture. Vestnik VyatGU=Herald of Vyatka State University, 2008, no. 4. Available at: https://cyberleninka.ru/article/n/funktsii-igry-v-tyuremnoy-subkulture (accessed May 19, 2021). (In Russ.).
16. Yunusov A.A., Yunusov S.A., Zhezlov N.V. Prevention of the spread of subculture among those sentenced to imprisonment through the organization of religious education. Ugolovnoe sudoproizvodstvo: problemy teorii i praktiki=Criminal Proceedings: Problems of Theory and Practice, 2017, no. 4, pp. 51–53. (In Russ.).
17. Percival G.L. Smart on Crime: The Struggle to Build a Better American Penal System. CRC Press, 2015. 265 p.
18. Cavadino M., Dignan J., Mair G., Bennett J. The Penal System: An Introduction. SAGE Publications, 2019. 413 p.
19. Weston J. Medicine, the Penal System and Sexual Crimes in England, 1919-1960s: Diagnosi ng Deviance. London: Bloomsbury Publishing, 2017. 263 p.