The article presents the results of a retrospective study of criminal legislation that establishes liability for escaping from places of imprisonment as well as for evading punishment in the form of imprisonment. Legal grounds for criminal prosecution for escape and qualifying signs of the corpus delicti of this type of crime, criminalization and decriminalization of escapes are analyzed taking into account the state’s criminal policy. A study of the development of criminal legislation that establishes responsibility for escape, evasion from serving a sentence of imprisonment, allows us to draw some conclusions: 1) the first mention of imprisonment is found in the Law Code of 1550, and the criminal liability for escape from places of imprisonment was first provided for in the Code of 1845 and in the process of development of criminal legislation underwent changes: the degree of social danger of escape varied in a different way, which entailed changes in his criminal -law evaluation (from the awarding the death penalty for the escape up to cancel criminal responsibility for the act replacing it with the disciplinary liability, and then again return to the criminal liability), increased the number of qualifying escape signs changed signs of the perpetrator; 2) the norm establishing the criminal liability for evasion from serving the imprisonment first appeared in 1977. The subjects of this crime were only convicts held in correctional labor colonies of general and strict regimes, coloniessettlements of all kinds, educational-labor colonies (according to 16 years of age), as well as in pre-trial detention centers and prisons, if they were left there with their consent for work on maintenance, who did not return from a short-term exit. The Criminal Code of the Russian Federation in 1997 extends the signs of the subject of this crime; it is a person sentenced to imprisonment, who is allowed to travel outside the place of imprisonment or a respite of the sentence.
Keywords: escape from places of imprisonment; evasion from serving punishment;
subject of crime; criminal legislation; imprisonment; criminal liability; qualifying signs of
Senior Researcher of the Research Department of the
Vologda Institute of Law and Economics of the Federal Penal Service of Russia,
PhD. in Law
, e-mail email@example.com
1. Esipov V. V. Ugolovnoe ulozhenie 1903 g., ego harakter i soderzhanie [The criminal code of 1903, its nature and content].
Warsaw, 1903. 175 р. (In Russ.).
2. Istorija gosudarstva i prava Rossii v dokumentah i materialah. S drevnejshih vremen po 1930 g. [History of the state and
law of Russia in documents and materials. From ancient times to 1930]. Minsk, 2003. 640 р. (In Russ.).
3. Kommentarij k Ugolovnomu kodeksu RSFSR: po sost. na 15 dekabrja 1993 g. / otv. red. V. M. Radchenko [Commentary
on the Criminal Code of the RSFSR: as of December 15, 1993; ed. by V. M. Radchenko]. Moscow, 1994. 509 р. (In Russ.).
4. Mazur O. V. Voprosy istorii otvetstvennosti za pobeg iz mest lishenija svobody [Questions of the history of responsibility
for escape from prison]. Netradicionnye podhody k resheniju problem bor’by s pravonarushenijami: materialy nauch.-
prakt. konf. – Non-traditional approaches to solving problems of combating offenses: materials of the scientific-practical
conference). Omsk, 1996. Рр. 16–21. (In Russ.).
5. Naryshkina N. I. Organizacionno-pravovye mery preduprezhdenija pobegov iz tjurem v Rossii: istoricheskij aspect
[Organizational and legal measures to prevent escapes from prisons in Russia: the historical aspect]. Prestupnost’,
kriminologija, kriminologicheskaja zashhita / pod red. A. I. Dolgovoj – Crime, criminology, criminological protection ; ed. by
A. I. Dolgovoy. Moscow, 2007. Рр. 281–286. (In Russ.).
6. Percova L. V. Sovetskoe ugolovnoe zakonodatel’stvo ob otvetstvennosti za pobeg iz mest lishenija svobody [Soviet criminal
legislation on the responsibility for escape from places of imprisonment]. Sovershenstvovanie dejatel’nosti vospitatel’notrudovyh kolonij i profilaktika molodezhnoj prestupnosti : sb. nauch. tr. – Perfection of the activity of educational and labor
colonies and prevention of youth crime: a collection of scientific papers. Moscow, 1992. Рр. 54–58. (In Russ.).
7. Razvitie russkogo prava v XV – pervoj polovine XVII veka / otv. red. V. S. Nersesjanc [The development of Russian law in
the XV – first half of the XVII century ; ed. by V. S. Nersesyants]. Moscow, 1986. 287 р. (In Russ.).
8. Rogov V. A. Istorija gosudarstva i prava Rossii IX – nachala XX vv. [History of the State and Law of Russia IX – the beginning
of the XХ centuries]. Moscow, 1995. 263 р. (In Russ.).
9. Rossijskoe zakonodatel’stvo Х – ХХ vekov : v 9 t. [Russian legislation of the 10th-20th centuries : in 9 vol.]. Moscow, 1988.
Vol. 6. Legislation of the first half of the ХХ century. 432 р. (In Russ.).
10. Rossijskoe zakonodatel’stvo Х–ХХ vekov : v 9 t. [Russian legislation of the 10th-20th centuries : in 9 vol.]. Moscow,
1994. Vol. 9. Legislation of the era of bourgeois revolutions. 352 р. (In Russ.).
11. Samojlova O. V. Razvitie ugolovnogo zakonodatel’stva ob otvetstvennosti za pobeg iz mest lishenija svobody
[Development of criminal legislation on responsibility for escape from places of i8mprisonment]. Puti povyshenija
effektivnosti dejatel’nosti UIS Minjusta Rossii v sovremennyj period : materialy mezhdunarod. nauch.-prakt. konf. – Ways
to increase the effectiveness of the penal system of the Ministry of Justice of Russia in the modern period : the materials of
the international scientific and practical conference. Vladimir, 2004. Рр. 328–331. (In Russ.).
12. Svod zakonov RSFSR : v 9 t. [Lawbook of the RSFSR : in 9 vol.]. Moscow, 1983–1988. (In Russ.).
13. Svod zakonov i rasporjazhenij Raboche-krest’janskogo Pravitel’stva SSSR – Lawbook and regulations of the Workers
‘and Peasants’ Government of the USSR. 1930. Iss. 22. Art. 248. (In Russ.).
14. Sobranie uzakonenij i rasporjazhenij rabochego i krest’janskogo pravitel’stva – Collection of legalization and orders of
the workers ‘and peasants’ government. 1918. Iss. 53. Art. 598. (In Russ.).
15. Sobranie uzakonenij RSFSR – Collection of legal acts of the RSFSR. 1924. Iss. 86. Art. 870. (In Russ.).
16. Sobranie uzakonenij RSFSR – Collection of legal acts of the RSFSR. 1926. Iss. 80. Art. 600. (In Russ.).
17. Sobranie uzakonenij RSFSR – Collection of legal acts of the RSFSR. 1933. Iss. 48. Art. 208. (In Russ.).
18. Ugolovno-ispolnitel’noe pravo Rossii: teorija, zakonodatel’stvo, mezhdunarodnye standarty, otechestvennaja praktika
konca XIX – nachala XXI veka : ucheb. dlja vuzov / pod red. A. I. Zubkova [Penal law of Russia: theory, legislation, international
standards, domestic practice of the late XIX – early XXI century : textbook for universities ; ed. by A. I. Zubkov]. Moscow,
2005. 720 р. (In Russ.).
19. Shevelev Ju. K. Razvitie zakonodatel’stva o bor’be s pobegami osuzhdennyh k lisheniju svobody [The development of
legislation to combat the escape of prisoners sentenced to imprisonment]. Trudy Vsesojuznogo nauchno-issledovatel’skogo
instituta MVD SSSR – Proceedings of the All-Union Scientific Research Institute of the Ministry of Internal Affairs of the
USSR. Moscow, 1971. Iss. 17. Рр. 137–140. (In Russ.).