The paper presents the positions of scholars who testify that the colony is not a place of imprisonment. On this basis, in particular, it is proposed to replace the colonysettlement to correctional centre, who execute the punishment in the form of forced labor. The author notes that, indeed, in prisons and colony-settlements there is a lot in common, but he defends the position that they differ in the nature of coercion and there is no need to abolish the colony-settlement. They are a kind of an open correctional institution, provided by the rules of international law, and also have a place in many developed countries. A colony differs from the correctional center on the legal implications of serving punishment in them; the convicts are isolated from society, but to a much lesser extent than in closed correctional institutions. The protection of this colony is provided by means of supervision. For convicts are set limitations in acquiring and storing food and necessities. For prisoners in open prisons are provided trips outside of the colony on the same grounds as for convicts in closed correctional institutions. There are checks the convicts, is set a strict daily schedule, etc. All this indicates that colony-settlement is a kind of correctional institution, which executes the imprisonment.
Keywords: colony-settlement; confined isolation of prisoners; correctional
centers; open penal colony; supervision of convicts; forced labor; the place of
Professor of the Department of Criminal Law and Procedure
at Ryazan State University named for S. Yesenin, Dsc. in Law, Professor,
Honored Worker of Higher School
, e-mail email@example.com
1. Bazhanov O. I. Rezhim lishenija svobody i ego osobennosti pri ispolnenii nakazanija v kolonijah usilennogo rezhima
[Regime of imprisonment and its peculiarities in the execution of punishment in the colonies of the strengthened regime].
Moscow, 1973. 39 р. (In Russ.).
2. Beljaev N. A. Celi nakazanija i sredstva ih dostizhenija v ispravitel’nyh uchrezhdenijah [Objectives of punishment and
means of achieving them in correctional institutions]. Leningrad, 1963. 186 р. (In Russ.).
3. Bryzgalov V. I., Makagon N. E. Rezhim v mestah lishenija svobody [Treatment in places of imprisonment]. Kiev, 1976.
83 р. (In Russ.).
4. Makovik R. S. Gosudarstvenno-pravovoj status osuzhdennogo k lisheniju svobody : lekcija [State-legal status of persons
sentenced to imprisonment: lecture]. Ryazan, 1979. 40 р. (In Russ.).
5. Makovik R. S. Stadijnost’ izoljacii lichnosti : monogr. [Stages of isolation of the personality : monograph]. Ryazan, 2009.
156 р. (In Russ.).
6. Malikov B. Z. Lishenie svobody v Rossii (teoretiko-pravovye problemy sushhnosti i celej nakazanija) [Imprisonment in
Russia (theoretical and legal problems of the essence and purposes of punishment)]. Saratov, 2001. 192 р. (In Russ.).
7. Romashov R. A. Rezhim ispolnenija nakazanija kak pravovoj masshtab penitenciarnoj svobody [The regime of execution
of punishment as a legal scale of penitentiary freedom]. Problemy organizacii rezhima v IU, vyrabotka putej ih reshenija,
voprosy obuchenija kursantov po special’nosti «Оrganizacija rezhima v UIS» : materialy vseros. nauch.-prakt. konf.
(Novokuzneck, 14–15 maja 2014 g.) – Problems of the organization of the regime in the IU, the development of ways to
solve them, the issues of training cadets in the specialty «Оrganization of the regime in UIS» : materials of the all-Russian
scientific-practical conference (Novokuznetsk, 14–15 may’s 2014 g.). Novokuznetsk, 2014. Рр. 126–129. (In Russ.).
8. Ugolovno-ispolnitel’noe pravo: Osobennaja chast’ : ucheb. / pod obshh. red. G. A. Kornienko [Penal law: Special part :
studies / ed. by of G. A. Kornienko]. Ryazan, 2013. 822 р. (In Russ.).
9. Cvejg S. Marija Stjuart [Mary Stuart]. Moscow, 1991. 352 р. (In Russ.).