The article discusses the development history of the institution grant of parole in Russia as an important incentive for law-abiding behavior of convicts, describes its occurrence and development at different periods of Russian history. Various legal acts are analyzed that directly or indirectly affect the basis and procedure for the application grant of parole at different stages of its existence. The periodization of the establishment of the institution grant of parole is given, taking into account the political, economic, social factors of the country’s development. The material and formal grounds for the application grant of parole are disclosed, the advantages and disadvantages of the functioning of this institution in different periods are reflected. The historical experience of the creation in 1909 in the Russian Empire of the provincial Special Meeting as a specialized body for the preliminary consideration of issues on parole of convicts is presented. Ways are proposed to improve the modern criminal and penal legislation, taking into account the historical experience of applying the institution grant of parole and the principles of the gradual and sequence of providing incentive effects on prisoners for their successful social adaptation. The necessity of creating a specialized independent public-state body in Russia endowed with the authority to participate in resolving the issue of conditionally early release of convicts is substantiated. It is advisable to vest penal inspections with the appropriate increase in their staffing powers to control persons released on parole. In general a conclusion is drawn on the significance and relevance of this incentive institution.
Professor of the Department of Penal Law and Organization of Educational Work with Convicts of the Vologda Institute of Law and Economics of the Federal Penal Service of Russia, Senior Researcher of the Research Center-2 of the Scientific Research Institute of the Federal Penal Service of Russia, Dsc. in Law, Associate Professor
, e-mail email@example.com
Undergraduate student of the Russian State University for the Humanities, Inspector of the Information-analytical Group of the Penal Inspection of the Federal Penal Service of Russia Moscow.
, e-mail firstname.lastname@example.org
1. Aleksandrovskij YU. V. Zakon ob uslovnom dosrochnom osvobozhdenii, vysochajshe utverzhdennyj 22 iyunya 1909 g.,
odobrennyj Gosudarstvennym sovetom i Gosudarstvennom dumoj: zakonodatel’nye motivy i postatejnye ob”yasneniya
[Parole Act, supremely approved on June 22, 1909, approved by the State Council and the State Duma: legislative motives
and itemized explanations]. St. Petersburg, 1909. 208 p. (In Russ.).
2. Babayan S. L. Pooshchritel’nye instituty ugolovno-ispolnitel’nogo prava (teoriya i praktika primeneniya). Diss. dokt.
yurid. nauk [Incentive institutions of penal law (theory and practice of application). Diss. Dsc. in Law]. Moscow, 2014.
592 p. (In Russ.).
3. Koptev D. A. (red.) Zakon ob uslovnom dosrochnom osvobozhdenii s izlozheniem rassuzhdenij, na koih on osnovan
[Parole Act setting out the reasoning on which it is based]. St. Petersburg, 1909. 374 p. (In Russ.).
4. Kidyaev V. V. Istoriya razvitiya instituta uslovno-dosrochnogo osvobozhdeniya ot otbyvaniya nakazaniya v rossijskom
zakonodatel’stve [The history of the development of the institution of parole from serving a sentence in Russian law].
Vestnik Tomskogo gosudarstvennogo universiteta – Bulletin of Tomsk State University, 2014, no. 5 (133), pp. 110–115. (In
5. Myahanova A. N. K voprosu ob uslovno-dosrochnom osvobozhdenii nesovershennoletnih [On the issue of parole of
minors]. Vestnik Buryatskogo gosudarstvennogo universiteta – Bulletin of the Buryat State University, 2010, no. 2,
pp. 130–132. (In Russ.).
6. Petrenko N. I., Nikiforova I. A. Vliyanie obshchestva popechitel’nogo o tyur’mah na otechestvennuyu penitenciarnuyu
sistemu v pervoj polovine XIX v. [The influence of a society of custodians of prisons on the domestic prison system in the first
half of the 19th century]. Probely v rossijskom zakonodatel’stve – Gaps in Russian law, 2011, no. 4, pp. 200–203. (In Russ.).
7. Pilipenko O. A. Uslovno-dosrochnoe osvobozhdenie ot nakazaniya: problemy teorii i praktiki. Diss. kand. yurid. nauk
[Parole: problems of theory and practice. Diss. PhD. in Law]. Rostov-on-Don, 2009. 207 p. (In Russ.).
8. Piontkovskij A. A. Uslovnoe osvobozhdenie. Ugolovno-politicheskoe issledovanie [Conditional release. Criminal
Political Investigation]. Kazan, 1900. 251 p. (In Russ.).