The subject of consideration of this paper is the study of the purposes of punishment enshrined in article 43 of the Criminal Code of the Russian Federation. Attention is drawn to the similarities and differences in the approaches used to determining the purpose of criminal punishment in the laws of different countries and historical periods, the need for a critical assessment of the existing legislative decision. In the course of a comparative analysis the conclusion is formulated that the current version of the purposes of punishment in criminal law is overly broad, which creates the illusion of its achievement and in some cases the competition of its parts among themselves. So the first of those mentioned in article 43 of the Criminal Code of the Russian Federation the purpose of restoring social justice is a quality that should be inherent in punishment. The second of the purposes stated in the law – the correction of the convict – is one of several ways to achieve it. However the very purpose of the punishment is not to correct the convict. The third of these purposes – the prevention of crimes – is most consistent with the purpose of punishment, but it is quite lengthy and requires clarification. In addition it does not contain a clear focus on a person who can or has committed a crime. According to the results of the analysis it is proposed to carry out an adjustment of the purposes of criminal punishment in the law. The purpose of punishment should be one and have a common focus. In this regard it is proposed to define as the purpose of punishment – retention persons from committing crimes. The single and understandable purpose of punishment on the one hand will be a clear guideline in constructing the type and size of both the main and additional punishments in the sanctions of the articles of the Special Part, and on the other will allow the courts to choose the punishment that most corresponds to the intended result.
Keywords: crime, punishment; purpose of punishment; restoration of social justice;
correction of a convict; prevention of crimes; retention of a person.
Associate Professor of the Department of Criminal Law and
Criminology of the Vologda Institute of Law and Economics of the Federal Penal
Service of Russia, PhD in Law, Associate Professor;
, e-mail email@example.com
1. Belyaev N. A. Celi nakazaniya i sredstva ih dostizheniya v ispravitel’no-trudovyh uchrezhdeniyah [Purposes of punishment
and means of achieving them in correctional labour institutions]. Leningrad, 1963. 186 p. (In Russ.).
2. Gilinskij I. YA. Nakazanie: kriminologicheskij podhod [Punishment: criminological approach]. Vremya novostej – News
time. June 30. Availabel at: http://www.vremya.ru/2008/114/13/207255.html (accessed 01.08.2018). (In Russ.).
3. Golovnenkov P. V. Ugolovnoe ulozhenie (Ugolovnyj kodeks) Federativnoj Respubliki Germaniya: nauchno-prakticheskij
kommentarij i perevod teksta zakona [Criminal code (criminal code) of the Federal Republic of Germany: scientific and
practical commentary and translation of the text of the law]. Moscow, 2017. 312 p. (In Russ.).
4. Dikaev S. U. Krizis lisheniya svobody v kontekste problemy social’noj adaptacii lic, otbyvshih i otbyvayushchih nakazanie
v vide lisheniya svobody [The crisis of deprivation of liberty in the context of the problem of social adaptation of persons who
have served and are serving a sentence of imprisoment]. Ros. kriminolog. vzglyad – Russian criminological view. 2007. Iss.
2. P. 197–203. (In Russ.).
5. Duyunov V. K. Problemy ugolovnogo nakazaniya v teorii, zakonodatel’stve i sudebnoj praktike [Problems of criminal
punishment in theory, legislation and judicial practice]. Kursk, 2000. 504 p. (In Russ.).
6. Kryukov V. V. Celi ugolovnogo nakazaniya: ponyatie, vidy, mekhanizmy dostizheniya : dis. … kand. yurid. nauk [Objectives
of criminal punishment: concept, types, mechanisms of achievement : the diss. ... PhD. in Law]. Saratov, 2017. 251 p. (In
7. Minimal’nye standartnye pravila Organizacii Ob»edinennyh Nacij v otnoshenii mer, ne svyazannyh s tyuremnym
zaklyucheniem (Tokijskie pravila) Prinyaty 14.12.1990 Rezolyuciej 45/110 General’noj Assamblei OON [Standard minimum
rules United Nations in respect of measures not connected with imprisonment (Tokyo rules) : adopted on 14.12.1990 by
Resolution 45/110 of the UN General Assembly]. Access from the legal reference system «ConsultantPlus». (In Russ.).
8. Ob osnovah sistemy profilaktiki pravonarushenij v Rossijskoj Federacii : feder. zakon ot 23.06.2016 № 182-FZ [About
bases of system of prevention of offenses in the Russian Federation : Federal Law from 23.06.2016 No. 182-FL]. Sobr.
zakonodatel’stva Ros. Federacii – Collection of legislation of the Russian Federation. 2016. Iss. 26 (Part I). Art. 3851. (In
9. Platon. Zakony [Laws]. Moscow, 1999. (In Russ.).
10. Poznyshev S. V. Osnovnye nachala nauki ugolovnogo prava [Basic principles of the science of criminal law]. Moscow,
1907. 129 p. (In Russ.).
11. Polnyj kurs ugolovnogo prava : v 5 t. / pod red. A. I. Korobeeva. [A full course of criminal law in 5 vol. : ed. by
A. I. Korobeev.]. St. Petersburg, 2008. Vol. 1. Crime and punishment. 1133 p.(In Russ.).
12. Smertnaya kazn’: infografika [The death penalty: the infographic]. Availablе at: https://amnesty.org.ru/ru/2016-04-06-
smertnaja-kazn-infografika/ (accessed 23.06.2018). (In Russ.).