The article investigates how the notion “execution of a sentence” was formed and analyzes the content of the stage of execution of a sentence as an independent part of criminal procedure, examines legal issues of criminal proceedings within the stage of execution of a sentence, and puts forward some ways to improve it. The fact that court activities aimed at considering and resolving issues related to the execution ofa sentence are defined as part of criminal procedure rather than as an independent stage is a subject for debate, because this activity may or may not take place. But we agree with those scholars who believe that the stage such as the presentation of a sentence for execution always emerges during sentencing, and the analogy with the stage of launching criminal investigation allows us to conclude that, that further criminal proceedings may occur several times or may not occur at all and thus form an independent stage of criminal procedure. We studied the opinions and statements of practitioners and scholars in the field of criminal procedure concerning the role and importance of criminal proceedings aimed at the execution of a sentence as an independent stage of criminal procedure, institution of criminal procedural law, a separate phase of criminal procedure and the theoretical arguments as to the essential nature and meaning of the execution of a sentence in criminal procedure. We conclude that criminal proceedings aimed at presenting the sentence for execution, consideration and resolution by the court of the issues related to its execution form the content of an independent stage of criminal procedure, which has all the necessary and characteristic features.
Keywords: execution of a sentence; stage of criminal procedure; subjects of execution of a sentence; criminal justice; criminal proceedings
Doctor of Sciences (Law), Professor, head of the Department of Criminalistics at the Legal Faculty, Belarusian State University, Minsk, Republic of Belarus.
, e-mail email@example.com
Candidate of Sciences (Law), senior lecturer at the Department of Organizing the Regime and Intelligence-Gathering Activities in the Penal System, Pskov Branch of the Academy of FSIN Russia, Pskov, Russian Federation
, e-mail firstname.lastname@example.org
Candidate of Sciences (Law), Associate Professor, associate professor of the Department of Criminal Procedure, Criminalistics and Legal Informatics at the Law Institute, Immanuel Kant Baltic Federal University, Kaliningrad, Russian Federation.
, e-mail email@example.com
1. Vandyshev V.V. Ugolovnyi protsess. Obshchaya i Osobennaya chasti [Criminal procedure. The General part and the
Special part]. Moscow: Volters Kluver, 2010. 720 p.
2. Volkolup O.V. Sistema ugolovnogo sudoproizvodstva i problemy ee sovershenstvovaniya: monografiya [Criminal justice
system and problems of its improvement: monograph]. Saint Petersburg: Yurid. tsentr press, 2003.265 p.
3. Gaponov E.N. Sovershenstvovanie pravovogo regulirovaniya sudoproizvodstva pri ispolnenii prigovora: avtoreferat
dissertatsii na soiskanie uchenoi stepeni kandidata yuridicheskikh nauk [Improvement of legal regulation of legal procedure
in the execution of the sentence: Candidate of Sciences (Law) dissertation abstract]. Moscow, 2009. 27 p.
4. Kutsova E.F. Ispolnenie prigovora: lektsii [Execution of a sentence: lectures]. Moscow: Yuridicheskaya literatura, 1960. 66 p.
5. Manova N.S. Ugolovnyi protsess: uchebnoe posobie dlya vuzov [Criminal procedure: textbook for universities]. Moscow:
Yurait, 2019. 221 p.
6. Nikolyuk V.V. Ispolnenie prigovora: lektsiya [Execution of a sentence: lecture]. Omsk: Yuridicheskii institut MVD Rossii,
1988. 35 p.
7. Perlov N.I. Ispolnenie prigovora v sovetskom ugolovnom protsesse: uchebnoe posobie [Execution of a sentence in the
Soviet criminal process: textbook]. Moscow: Yuridicheskaya literatura, 1963. 227 p.
8. Popov V.L. The sentence as a separate stage of criminal justice. Vestnik Kaliningradskogo filiala Sankt-Peterburgskogo
universiteta MVD Rossii = Bulletin of the Kaliningrad Branch of the SaintPetersburgUniversity of the Ministry of the Interior
of Russia, 2017, no. 4 (50), pp. 22–24. (In Russ.).
9. Rozin N.N. Ugolovnoe sudoproizvodstvo: posobie k lektsiyam [Criminal proceedings: a guide to lectures]. Saint
Petersburg: Pravo, 1914. 548 p.
10. Sluchevskii V. Uchebnik russkogo ugolovnogo protsessa. Sudoustroistvo – sudoproizvodstvo [Textbook of Russian
criminal procedure. Judicial system – legal proceedings]. Saint Petersburg: Tip. M.M. Stasyulevicha, 1913. 684 p.
11. Strogovich M.S. Kurs sovetskogo ugolovnogo protsessa. V 2 tomakh. Tom 2. Poryadok proizvodstva po ugolovnym
delam po sovetskomu ugolovno-protsessual’nomu pravu [A course in the Soviet criminal procedure. In 2 volumes. Volume
2. Procedure for criminal cases in the Soviet criminal procedure law]. Moscow: Nauka, 1970. 616 p.
12. LupinskayaP.A. (Ed.). Ugolovno-protsessual’noe pravo Rossiiskoi Federatsii: uchebnik [Criminal procedure law of the
Russian Federation: textbook]. Moscow: NORMA: INFRA M, 2011. 1088 p.
13. Foinitskii I.Ya. Kurs ugolovnogo sudoproizvodstva. V 2 tomakh [A course in criminal proceedings. In 2 volumes]. Volume
2. Saint Petersburg: Al’fa, 1996. 607 p.
14. Shabanov V.B.,Budanova L.Yu., Aleksandrova O.P. The concept and meaning of criminal procedure activities of bodies
executing punishments at the stage of execution of the sentence. Vestnik Samarskogo instituta FSIN Rossii = Bulletin of the
Samara Law Institute, 2019, no. 4, pp. 86–91. (In Russian).
15. Shcherbakov A.V., Mikhailova O.E., Uskacheva I.B., Bogdanov M.N., Shatov S.A. Foreign experience in ensuring the security
of the penitentiary system and the possibility of its use in domestic practice. Janus.net, 2018, vol. 9, no. 1, pp. 122–136.
16. Shcherbakov A.V., Smirnova I.N., Budanova L.Y., Shabanov V.B. International legal acts in the field of security and their
implementation in the penal system of Russia. Journal of Advanced Research in Dynamical and Control Systems, 2020,
vol. 12, no. 2 (Special Issue), pp. 387–390.