The article analyzes the place and role of fines in the system of criminal penalties and looks intosome trends in its establishing by the legislator and application by the court. We investigate property protection issues that have always been in the focus of attention of legislators and legal science and that have never lost their relevance, because they relate to the inviolable vital interests of an individual, society and the state. In the framework of the topic under consideration, we undertake to explain our viewpoint on three basic terms: “fine”, “property” and “punishment effectiveness”. We conclude that property should be considered (among other things in the establishment ofthe elements of a crime) as a complex multifaceted phenomenon associated with ensuring the security of individuals, society and the state from various threats, including those of an intangible nature. We analyze fine as a penalty and fine imposed by the court as a criminal law measure in the aspect of legal regulation and application practice.We carry out comparative analysis of the rules on the protection of property and the application of penalties in the form of a fine for encroachment upon it on the example of the criminal legislation of the Republic of Belarus.As a result, we conclude that the importance of fine in the structure of penal sanctions is increasing; we note that there is a trend to increase the use of a court imposed fine as an exemption from penal sanctions. At the same time,we point outthat this approach used bylegal professionals does not fully fit in with the legally established principle of social justice as the goal of punishment.Crimes against property should be considered as a threat not only to property, but also to the life and health of people (Article 162 of the Criminal Code of the Russian Federation), moral, spiritual and other values of an individual and society. We believe this approach should be used both in legislative and law enforcement practice, including cases of applying a court imposed fine.
Keywords: property; fine; court imposed fine; punishment goals; punishment effectiveness
Senior Lecturer of the Department of Civil Law and Economic Disciplines, Voronezh Institute of the Ministry of Internal Affairs of the Russian Federation, Voronezh, Russian Federation.
, e-mail firstname.lastname@example.org
Chief Researcher, Doctor of Sciences (Law), Professor, Research Institute of the Federal Penitentiary Service of Russia, Moscow, Russian Federation.
, e-mail email@example.com
1. Bezverkhov A.G.Imushchestvennye prestupleniya: avtoreferat dissertatsii na soiskanie uchenoi stepeni doktora
yuridicheskikh nauk [Property crimes: Doctor of Sciences (Law) dissertation abstract]. Izhevsk, 2002. 42 p.
2. Bochkarev S.A. Ugolovno-pravovaya okhrana sobstvennosti: teoretiko-instrumental’nyi analiz: avtoreferat dissertatsii
na soiskanie uchenoi stepeni kandidata yuridicheskikh nauk [Criminal-legal protection of property: theoretical and
instrumental analysis: Candidate of Sciences (Law) dissertation abstract]. Moscow, 2010. 26 p.
3. Ershov V.V. Pravovoe i individual’noe regulirovanie obshchestvennykh otnoshenii: monografiya [Legal and individual
regulation of public relations: monograph]. Moscow: RGUP, 2018. 627 p.
4. Luneev V.V. Prestupnost’ XX veka: mirovye, regional’nye i rossiiskie tendentsii [Crime of the twentieth century: world,
regional and Russian trends]. Moscow: Volters Kluver, 2005. 912 p.
5. Ozhegov S.I., ShvedovaN.Yu.Tolkovyi slovar’ russkogo yazyka: 80 000 slov i frazeologicheskikh vyrazhenii [Explanatory
dictionary of the Russian language: 80,000 words and phraseological expressions]. Moscow: Azbukovnik, 1999. 944 p.
6. Otchet o chisle osuzhdennykh po vsem sostavam UK RF za 2018 i 2019 gg. [Report on the number of convicts under
all parts of the Criminal Code of the Russian Federation for 2018 and 2019]. Available at: http://www.cdep.ru/index.
php?id=79&item=5259 (accessed April 12, 2020).
7. Sostoyanie prestupnosti v Rossii za yanvar’ – oktyabr’ 2018 g. [Crime situation in Russia in January–October 2018].
Available at: https://genproc.gov.ru/upload/iblock/ddb/sbornik_10_2018.pdf (accessed April 12, 2020).
8. Khatuaev V.U., ShaimovaE.S.Problems of the effectiveness of punishments in the works of Soviet scientists of the
second half of the 20th century. In: Sudebnaya vlast’ i formy ee realizatsii v Rossii: sbornik materialov Vserossiiskoi nauchnoprakticheskoi konferentsii [Judicial power and forms of its implementation in Russia: proceedings of an all-Russian scientific
and practical conference]. Voronezh: Istoki: Tsentr. fil. Ros. akad. pravosudiya, 2011. Pp. 133–141. (In Russ.).
9. Chernikov V.V. Sovremennaya gosudarstvennaya sistema okhrany sobstvennosti v Rossii [Modern state system of
property protection in Russia]. Moscow: Infra-M, 1995. 224 p.
10. Shul’ga A.V. Ob»ekt i predmet prestuplenii protiv sobstvennosti v usloviyakh rynochnykh otnoshenii i informatsionnogo
obshchestva: monografiya [Object and subject of crimes against property in the conditions of market relations and
information society: monograph]. Moscow: Yurlitinform, 2007. 376 p.
11. SukharevA.Ya. (Ed.). Yuridicheskii entsiklopedicheskii slovar’ [Encyclopedic dictionary of law]. Moscow: Sovetskaya
entsiklopediya, 1987. 528 p.