The article considers the peculiarities of the personality of women sentenced to imprisonment, which should be taken into account when individualizing the execution of a sentence. Among the socio-demographic characteristics considerable attention is paid to age, level of education and family relations. It has been established that women of mature age mostly comply with the execution of punishment regime, do not initiate conflict situations and do not aspire to become leaders among the convicts. Frequent violations of the established order of serving the sentence should be expected from young people. Women with a high educational level are generally positively characterized. The presence of socially useful connections contributes to the law-abiding behavior and correction of the convicted woman. Considering some of the criminal law characteristics it is noted that people convicted of violent crimes can be expected to frequent violations of the established order of punishment. From mercenary criminals – more relaxed behavior, which, however, does not indicate their correction. The characteristic of women who first committed a crime and who had previously served a sentence is given. The question is raised about the resuscitation of the strict-security correctional institutions for re-convicted persons. It is concluded that the identified characteristics can predict the behavior of women in places of deprivation of liberty and should be taken into account when individualizing the execution of punishment and applying corrective measures.
Head of the Department of Penal Law and Organization of Educational Work with Convicts of the Vologda Institute of Law and Economics of the Federal Penal Service of Russia, PhD. in Law, Associate Professor
, e-mail firstname.lastname@example.org
1. Abasova S. A. Problemy ispolneniya nakazaniya v ispravitel’noj kolonii obshchego rezhima dlya osuzhdennyh k lisheniyu
svobody zhenshchin : dis. … kand. yurid. nauk [Problems of execution of punishment in a penal colony of the general
regime for women sentenced to imprisonment : the diss. ... PhD. in Law]. Makhachkala, 2003. 195 p. (In Russ.).
2. Antonyan YU. M. Prestupnost’ sredi zhenshchin [Crime among women]. Moscow, 1992. 256 p. (In Russ.).
3. Volkova T. N. Izuchenie lichnosti osuzhdennogo [Study of the convicted person]. Prestuplenie i nakazanie – Crime and
punishment. 2005. Iss. 12. P. 18–20. (In Russ.).
4. Kasterina N. V. ZHenshchiny s psihicheskimi otkloneniyami v mestah lisheniya svobody [Women with mental disabilities
in places of detention]. CHelovek – Human. 2007. Iss. 2. P. 115–120. (In Russ.).
5. Latysheva L. A. Osobennosti soderzhaniya i resocializacii zhenshchin, imeyushchih maloletnih detej, v penitenciarnyh
uchrezhdeniyah zarubezhnyh stran [Features of the content and re-socialization of women with young children in
penitentiary institutions of foreign countries]. Vestn. in-ta: prestuplenie, nakazanie, ispravlenie – Bulletin of the Institute:
crime, punishment, correction. 2018. Iss. 1. P. 69–75. (In Russ.).
6. Lombrozo CH. Genial’nost’ i pomeshatel’stvo. ZHenshchina prestupnica i prostitutka. Lyubov’ u pomeshannyh [Genius
and madness. A woman is a criminal and a prostitute. Mad’s love]. Minsk, 2004. 576 p. (In Russ.).
7. Malysheva O. A. Problema dezadaptacii zhenshchin molodezhnogo vozrasta, otbyvshih nakazanie v vide lisheniya
svobody (kriminologicheskie i psihologicheskie aspekty) : dis. … kand. yurid. nauk [The problem of disadaptation of young
women who have served a sentence of imprisonment (criminological and psychological aspects) : the diss. ... PhD. in Law].
Moscow, 1999. 282 p. (In Russ.).
8. Nakazanie i ispravlenie prestupnikov / pod red. prof. YU. M. Antonyana [The punishment and correction of criminals : ed.
by Yu. M. Antonyan]. Moscow, 1992. 392 p. (In Russ.).
9. Otryadnaya sistema ITU i kriterii ocenki ispravleniya osuzhdennyh : ucheb. рosobie / YU. A. Alferov i dr. [The squadron
system of ITU and the criteria for assessing the correction of convicts : tutorial : Yu. A. Alferov et al.]. Domodedovo, 1991.
107 p. (In Russ.).
10. Otchet o sostave osuzhdennyh, meste soversheniya prestupleniya za 12 mesyacev 2017 goda [Report on the composition
of convicts, the crime scene for 12 months of 2017]. Availabel at: http://www.cdep.ru/index.php?id=79&item=4572.
(accessed 12.09.2018). (In Russ.).
11. Popova S. A. K voprosu o lichnostnyh harakteristikah zhenshchin, sovershayushchih nasil’stvennye prestupleniya [On
the issue of personal characteristics of women who commit violent crimes]. Ros. sledovatel’ – Russian investigator. 2007.
Iss. 21. P. 24–26. (In Russ.).
12. Revin V. P., Kunc E. V. ZHenshchiny v ispravitel’nyh uchrezhdeniyah: problemy vospitatel’noj raboty [Women in
correctional institutions: problems of educational work]. Zakon i pravo – The law and the right. 2005. Iss. 10. P. 30–33. (In
13. Sovershenstvovanie ispolneniya nakazaniya v vide lisheniya svobody v otnoshenii zhenshchin / A. V. Brilliantov i dr.
[Improving the enforcement of the penalty of deprivation of liberty against women : A. V. Brilliantov et al.]. Moscow, 1994.
41 p. (In Russ.).
14. Sociologiya i psihologiya osuzhdennyh v mestah lisheniya svobody : ucheb.-metod. posobie / pod obshch. red.
O. G. Kovaleva [Sociology and psychology of the convicts in places of deprivation of freedom : study guide : ed. by
O. G. Kovalev]. Moscow, 2005. 120 p. (In Russ.).
15. Sushko V. A. Sovershenstvovanie uslovij i poryadka otbyvaniya nakazaniya v vide lisheniya svobody osuzhdennymi
zhenshchinami : avtoref. dis. … kand. yurid. nauk [Improvement of the conditions and procedure for serving the sentence
of deprivation of liberty by convicted women : the author’s abstract of the diss. ... PhD. in Law]. Moscow, 1994. 25 p. (In
16. Uvarov I. A. Prichiny prestupnogo povedeniya osuzhdennyh zhenshchin v penitenciarnyh uchrezhdeniyah [The causes
of the criminal behaviour of convicted women in penal institutions]. Penitenciarnyj opyt Anglii i vozmozhnosti ego realizacii
v ugolovno-ispolnitel’nom zakonodatel’stve Rossii i Belorussii – Penitentiary experience of England and the possibility of its
implementation in the penal legislation of Russia and Belarus. Ryazan, 2004. P. 189–194. (In Russ.).
17. Harakteristika lichnosti osuzhdennogo (social’no-psihologicheskij portret) : ucheb.-metod. posobie [Characteristics of
the personality of the convict (socio-psychological portrait) : study guide]. Moscow, 2004. 56 p. (In Russ.).
18. SHmaeva T. A. Otnoshenie osuzhdennyh zhenshchin k nakazaniyu v vide lisheniya svobody i meram ispravitel’notrudovogo vozdejstviya [The attitude of convicted women to punishment in the form of imprisonment and corrective-labor
measures]. Povyshenie ehffektivnosti ispolneniya ugolovnyh nakazanij v svete reshenij XXVII s»ezda KPSS – Improving the
efficiency of execution of criminal penalties in the light of the decisions of the XXVII Congress of the Communist party of the
Soviet Union. Ryazan, 1988. P. 77–82. (In Russ.).