The article analyzes the place of psychological work in the system of
means of corrective work with convicts sentenced to imprisonment, the role of the penal
psychologist in the study of the criminological characteristics of the personality of the
convicted offender. Psychological work, which has its own unique toolkit for determining
the personal and social characteristics of an individual, in correctional institutions de facto
plays a leading role in reducing recurrent behavior, addictions, clarifying, by psychological
and pathopsychological methods, the true, deep, in particular unconscious, motives of a
However de jure by the existing legislative structure, which describes the main means
of corrective influence on convicts, psychological work is actually not taken into account
as such a means. It is also noted that giving convicts the right to refuse psychological
work negatively affects the results of psychocorrectional influence on them. Especially
undesirable are such refusals on the part of those who are negatively characterized, socially
and pedagogically neglected, that is, convicts who are most in need of psychocorrection.
The conclusion is made about the need to legislatively consolidate psychological work
as an independent means of corrective action, the obligation of individual psychological
work with convicts, psychotherapeutic work with convicts during the first year after their
Keywords: personality of the convict; correction; educational work; psychological work; motivation
Postgraduate student of the Department of Criminal Law of the Moscow State Regional University, Moscow, Russian Federation.
, e-mail firstname.lastname@example.org
1. Antonyan YU. M. (red.) Lichnost’ prestupnika i profilaktika prestuplenij [The identity of the offender and crime
prevention]. Moscow, 2020. 224 p. (In Russ.).
2. Berezhnova N. D. Pravoohranitel’naya deyatel’nost’ psihologicheskih sluzhb ugolovno-ispolnitel’noj sistemy [Law
enforcement activity of psychological services of the penal system]. Administrativnoe i municipal’noe pravo – Administrative
and municipal law, 2011, no. 4, pp. 49–51. (In Russ.).
3. Debol’skij M. G. Vozmozhnosti psihologicheskoj sluzhby ugolovno-ispolnitel’noj sistemy v realizacii celej nakazaniya
[Opportunities of the psychological service of the penal system in realizing the goals of punishment]. Razvitie lichnosti –
Personal development, 2012, no. 3, pp. 230–241. (In Russ.).
4. Debol’skij M. G. Normativno-pravovoe obespechenie deyatel’nosti psihologicheskoj sluzhby ugolovno-ispolnitel’noj
sistemy na razlichnyh etapah ee razvitiya [Regulatory support for the activities of the psychological service of the penal system
at various stages of its development]. Ugolovno-ispolnitel’noe pravo – Penal law, 2018, vol. 13, no. 1, pp. 70–75. (In Russ.).
5. Debol’skij M. G. Psihologicheskaya sluzhba ugolovno-ispolnitel’noj sistemy kak tipovaya model’ vedomstvennoj
psihologicheskoj sluzhby [Psychological service of the penal system as a typical model of departmental psychological
service]. Psihologiya i pravo – Psychology and Law, 2011, no. 1. Available at: http://psyjournals.ru/files/39328/
psyandlaw_2011_1_Debolskii.pdf (accessed 11.08.2019). (In Russ.).
6. Kiseleva R. N. Organizaciya psihologicheskoj raboty v mestah lisheniya svobody po sokrashcheniyu recidiva
prestuplenij, sovershennyh licami, otbyvshimi nakazanie [Organization of psychological work in prisons to reduce the
recurrence of crimes committed by persons who have served their sentences]. Ugolovno-ispolnitel’noe pravo – Penal law,
2015, no. 4 (22), pp. 98–104. (In Russ.).
7. Kudryavcev V. N. Bor’ba motivov v prestupnom povedenii [Fight of motives in criminal behavior]. Moscow, 2007.
128 p. (In Russ.).
8. Lukichev O. V., Ras’kevich A. A. Vospitatel’noe vozdejstvie na osuzhdennyh v ispravitel’nyh uchrezhdeniyah i sem’e
[Educational impact on convicts in correctional institutions and families]. Vestnik Sankt-Peterburgskogo universiteta MVD Rossii –
Bulletin of the St. Petersburg University of the Ministry of Internal Affairs of Russia, 2008, no. 2 (38), pp. 116–124. (In Russ.).
9. Pozdnyakov V. M. Reforma ugolovno-ispolnitel’noj sistemy Rossii i novye zadachi penitenciarnoj psihologii [Reform of
the penal system in Russia and new tasks of penitentiary psychology]. Psihopedagogika v pravoohranitel’nyh organah –
Psychopedagogy in law enforcement, 2012, no. 2 (49), pp. 3–6. (In Russ.).
10. Soldatova E. L., Lavrova G. N. Psihologiya razvitiya i vozrastnaya psihologiya. Ontogenez i dizontogenez [Developmental
psychology and age-related psychology. Ontogenesis and dysontogenesis]. Rostov-on-Don, 2004. 384 p. (In Russ.).
11. CHernyshkova M. P., Cvetkova N. A., Lobacheva L. P., Debol’skij M. G., Dikopol’cev D. E. Suicidy sredi podozrevaemyh,
obvinyaemyh i osuzhdennyh [Suicides among suspects, accused and convicted persons]. Suicidologiya – Suicidology,
2017, vol. 8, no. 3 (28), pp. 62–70. (In Russ.).
12. SHCHerbakov G. V., CHerekhovich M. M. Metodika anketnogo izucheniya mneniya osuzhdennyh o vospitatel’noj
rabote s nimi [Methodology of questionnaire study of the opinion of convicts about educational work with them]. CHelovek:
prestuplenie i nakazanie – Human: crime and punishment, 2019, vol. 27, no. 4, pp. 543–553. doi: 10.33463/1999-
9917.2019.27(1-4).4.543-553. (In Russ.).