One of the main tasks of the territorial operational units of the Federal Penal Service of Russia is the disclosure of crimes committed by convicts prior to arrival in correctional facilities. This activity is carried out by operative officers both in the framework of daily activities, and on behalf of within the framework of the implementation of Clause 4, Part 2 of Art. 38 Code of Criminal Procedure of the Russian Federation. The main ways to obtain operationally relevant information for the disclosure of this category of crimes will be information obtained during the implementation of such operational-search measures as interrogation, inquiry, monitoring and operational implementation, as well as the use of the undercover method. The information received should help induce a person to give a confession and write a confession. A confession can act as a circumstance mitigating punishment as well as a source of evidence, as it is perceived by most of the employees of the territorial operational units of the FPS of Russia. As a rule a confession is recorded by the detectives in the scope of a brief description of the act committed in the words of the person giving the appearance. The second fixation option is a statement of information by a detective after a conversation with a person who has filed a confession. The third option is the most detailed recording of information, almost in the volume of a full interrogation. The most optimal option for obtaining a confession is the situation when the confession was written by the convict on his own after discussing with the operative the most significant circumstances in terms of qualification and proving.
Keywords: confession; operational investigative activities; crime of past years; operative officer; disclosure of crimes; investigation of crimes; preliminary investigation
Senior Lecturer of the Department of Criminal Procedure, Criminalistics and the Investigation of the Law Faculty of the Vologda Institute of Law and Economics of the Federal Penal Service of Russia, Vologda, Russian Federation.
, e-mail email@example.com
1. Abramov I. A. Otdel’nye aspekty organizacii raboty operativnyh podrazdelenij po yavke s povinnoj v ispravitel’nyh
uchrezhdeniyah UIS [Certain aspects of the organization of work of operational units for confession in correctional facilities
of the penal system]. Vestnik Tomskogo instituta povysheniya kvalifikacii rabotnikov FSIN Rossii – Bulletin of the Tomsk
Institute for Advanced Studies of Employees of the Federal Penal Service of Russia, 2019, no. 1, pp. 9–16. (In Russ.).
2. Arsenova N. V. K voprosu o processual’nom oformlenii yavki s povinnoj [On the issue of procedural registration of
confession]. Vestnik Barnaul’skogo yuridicheskogo instituta MVD Rossii – Bulletin of the Barnaul Law Institute of the
Ministry of Internal Affairs of Russia, 2013, no. 1 (30), pp. 6–8. (In Russ.).
3. Arsenova N. V. Priznanie viny, poluchennoe pri proverke soobshcheniya o prestuplenii, kak dokazatel’stvo po ugolovnomu
delu [Confession of guilt obtained during verification of a crime report as evidence in a criminal case]. Altajskij yuridicheskij
vestnik – Altai Legal Bulletin, 2018, no. 4, pp. 105–110. (In Russ.).
4. Biryukov A. V. Sushchnost’, processual’nye formy i pravovye posledstviya yavki s povinnoj. Diss. kand. yurid. nauk [The
essence, procedural forms and legal consequences of confession. Diss. PhD. in Law]. Moscow, 2000. 192 p. (In Russ.).
5. Vasyukov V. F. YAvka s povinnoj kak povod dlya vozbuzhdeniya ugolovnogo dela [Confession as a reason to institute
criminal proceedings]. Nauka i praktika – Science and practice, 2015, no. 3, pp. 19–22. (In Russ.).
6. Gel’dibaev M. H., Moldavskij M. V., Prokof’eva S. M. Ispol’zovanie rezul’tatov operativno-razysknogo dokumentirovaniya s
oformleniem ih v kachestve yavki s povinnoj [Using the results of operational search documentation with their registration as
a confession]. Vestnik Kaliningradskogo filiala Sankt-Peterburgskogo universiteta MVD Rossii – Bulletin of the Kaliningrad
branch of the St. Petersburg University of the Ministry of Internal Affairs of Russia, 2012, no. 3 (29), pp. 17–21. (In Russ.).
7. Lugovik V. F., Vazhenin V. V., Sofronov V. N., Bazhenov S. V. Sklonenie podozrevaemyh k dache pravdivyh pokazanij
[Inclusion of suspects for truthful testimony]. Psihopedagogika v pravoohranitel’nyh organah – Psychopedagogy in law
enforcement, 2013, iss. 14, pp. 13–19. (In Russ.).
8. Orlov P. Neyavka s povinnoj [Non confession]. Rossijskaya gazeta – Russian newspaper, 2011, 26 April. (In Russ.).