The article analyzes the current problems of monitoring the activities of institutions and
bodies that execute criminal sentences.
In accordance with the Conception of the penal system of the Russian Federation
development until 2020 one of the most important activities of the penal system is to
create the necessary conditions for monitoring the activities of institutions and bodies that
execute sentences. For this purpose it is required to ensure transparency in the activities
of the penal system on the basis of wide involvement of civil society institutions in the
process of execution of criminal sentences.
The need for public control is also indicated by international regulations on the treatment
of prisoners, primarily the Standard Minimum Rules for the Treatment of Prisoners and the
European Prison Rules.
At the same time at present the problems of public control are not sufficiently
developed, in particular, the limits of the controlling influence on the penitentiary system
by the public are not defined, there is no specific list of subjects of public control in this
area, their powers are not defined.
Based on the analysis of international regulatory legal acts Russian legislation, the
activities of correctional institutions in the field of public control over the activities of
institutions and bodies that execute sentences, the authors have prepared a number of
recommendations to improve the current legislation and practice of its application.
The article focuses on the need to carry out inspections by organizations that are not
dependent on the prison system. For this purpose it is proposed to involve various public
organizations, including non-governmental, as well as ombudsmen for human rights, for
the rights of the child. It is important to expand cooperation with the media.
The results of the article can be used in the educational process in the study of legal
disciplines as well as for further researches in this area.
Keywords: social impact; social control; public council; public monitoring commission; public association; ombudsman
Senior Lecturer of the Department of Penal Law and the Organization of Educational Work with Convicts of the Vologda Institute of Law and Economics of the Federal Penal Service of Russia, PhD. in Law.
, e-mail firstname.lastname@example.org
5th Year Cadet of the Law Faculty of the Vologda Institute of Law and Economics of the Federal Penal Service of Russia.
, e-mail email@example.com
1. Lyubarskij A. F. Obshchestvennoe mnenie i ego vliyanie na pravovoe regulirovanie ispolneniya nakazaniya v vide lisheniya
svobody i deyatel’nost’ ispravitel’nyh uchrezhdenij : avtoref. dis. … kand. yurid. nauk [Public Opinion and its Impact on
the Legal Regulation of the Enforcement of Sentences in the Form of Imprisonment and the Activities of Correctional
Institutions : the author’s abstract of the diss. ... PhD. in Law]. Moscow, 1996. 25 p. (In Russ.).
2. Ob uchrezhdeniyah i organah, ispolnyayushchih ugolovnye nakazaniya v vide lisheniya svobody : zakon Ros. Federacii
ot 21.07.1993 № 5473-1 (red. ot 19.07.2018) [On institutions and bodies that execute criminal penalties in the form
imprisonment : law of the Russian Federation from 07.21.1993 No. 5473-1 (in red. on 19.07.2018)]. Sobr. zakonodatel’stva
Ros. Federacii – Collection of Legislation of the Russian Federation. 2018. Iss. 30. Art. 4532. (In Russ.).
3. Pavlov A. A. Uchastie obshchestvennosti v deyatel’nosti ugolovno-ispolnitel’noj sistemy na sovremennom ehtape :
avtoref. dis … kand. yurid. nauk [Public participation in the penal system at the present stage : the author’s abstract of the
diss. ... PhD. in Law]. Tambov, 2009. 29 p. (In Russ.).
4. Podpisano soglashenie o zashchite prav podozrevaemyh, obvinyaemyh i osuzhdennyh, soderzhashchihsya v
penitenciarnyh uchrezhdeniyah oblasti [An agreement on the protection of the rights of suspected, accused and convicted
persons detained in penal institutions of the region was signed]. Availablе at: http://up35.ru/?p=4102 (accessed
28.12.2018). (In Russ.).
5. Prava cheloveka i penitenciarnye uchrezhdeniya : ucheb. posobie po pravam cheloveka dlya personala penitenciarnyh
uchrezhdenij [Human rights and penal institutions : human rights training manual for prison staff]. Geneva, 2000. 205 p. (In
6. Sostav Obshchestvennogo soveta pri UFSIN Rossii po Respublike Buryatiya [The composition of the Public Council at the
Office of the Federal Penitentiary Service of Russia in the Republic of Buryatia] . Availablе at: http://www.03.fsin.su/osovet/
(accessed 28.12.2018). (In Russ.).
7. Sostav Obshchestvennogo soveta pri UFSIN Rossii po Respublike Tatarstan po problemam deyatel’nosti ugolovnoispolnitel’noj sistemy [The composition of the Public Council at the Office of the Federal Penitentiary Service of Russia in the
Republic of Tatarstan on the problems of the penal system]. Availablе at: http://16.xn--h1akkl.xn--p1ai/obshchestvennyeorganizatsii/obshchestvennyy-sovet-ufsin-po-rt/sostav-obshchestvennogo-soveta-ufsin-rossii-po-respublike-tatarstan/
(accessed 28.12.2018). (In Russ.).
8. Territoriya partnerstva : prakt. posobie dlya chlenov obshchestv. sovetov pri territor. organah FSIN Rossii /
E. O. Luk’yanchuk i dr. [The territory of the partnership : a practical guide for members of public councils at the territorial
bodies of the Federal Penal Service of Russia / E. O. Lukyanchuk et al.]. Vologda, 2008. 144 p. (In Russ.).
9. Upolnomochennyj posetil ispravitel’nuyu koloniyu № 5 [The Ombudsman visited correctional colony № 5]. Availablе at:
http://up35.ru/?p=4102 (accessed 15.01.2019). (In Russ.).
10. EHminov V. E. Ugolovno-ispolnitel’noe pravo Rossii. Obshchaya i osobennaya chasti : v 2 t. [The Russian Federation
Criminal Law. General and special parts : in 2 vol.]. Moscow, 2014. Vol. 1. 803 p. (In Russ.).