The penal system cannot be characterized as the evidence that does not require
explanations and justifications. Like any other open system it is influenced by many external
and internal factors. The degree and nature of this influence cannot always be known and
explained by means of analytics of a theoretical level. Not all problematic issues can be
presented in a practical way. A large heuristic potential lies in the methodological tools of
the philosophical level, which according to the authors of the article did not receive wide
use in understanding the essence of phenomena and processes reflecting the activities
of the penal system. The philosophy of the penitentiary law is the metaphenomenal basis
for activities in the penal sphere.
The article discusses the traditional problems of the penal system, which can be
investigated using philosophical and legal tools. Attention is drawn to the need to form
the criminal-legal outlook of the Russian Federal Penal Service staff and an integrated
legal thinking that is impossible without mastering the philosophical level of knowledge of
law. No science can do without philosophical grounds since their role consists in shaping
the interpretative schemes necessary for understanding the essence of knowable
The purpose of the article is to substantiate the need to introduce into the educational
process the discipline “Philosophy of penal law” or to consider questions of the philosophy
of penal law in the framework of other disciplines traditionally included in the curricula
of higher educational institutions of the Federal Penal Service of Russia. Among the
problematic issues that accompany the activities of the penal system, which can be most
fully considered in the framework of philosophical and legal approaches, should be called
the transition from the punitive function of the penal policy to protective and humanitarian;
the necessity of moralizing penal law; dual penal legal policy; penal security; the limits of
liberalization of penal policy, etc.
Professor of the Department of Personality Psychology and
Special Pedagogy of the Vladimir State A. G. and N. G. Stoletov University,
Professor of the Department of Psychology and Pedagogy of Professional
Activities of the Vladimir Institute of Law of the Federal Penal Service of Russia,
Dsc. in Pedagogics, PhD. in Law, Associate Professor
, e-mail email@example.com
Associate Professor of the Department of Theory and
History of State and Law of the Vladimir Branch of the Russian Academy of
National Economy and Public Administration under the President of the Russian
Federation, Associate Professor of the Department of Public Law at the Faculty of
Law and Administration of the Vladimir Law Institute of the Federal Penal Service
of Russia, PhD. in Law
, e-mail firstname.lastname@example.org
1. Alekseev S. S. Filosofiya prava [Philosophy of law]. Moscow, 1999. 336 p. (In Russ.).
2. Bajteeva M. V. Filosofsko-pravovye aspekty nakazaniya [Philosophical and legal aspects of punishment]. Vestn. Vladimir.
yurid. in-ta – Bulletin of the Vladimir Law Institute. 2006. Iss. 1. P. 23–27. (In Russ.).
3. Grunina V. A. Sinergeticheskie osnovy pravovogo regulirovaniya : avtoref. dis. … kand. yurid. nauk [Synergetic foundations
of legal regulation : the author’s abstract of the diss. ... PhD. in Law]. Vladimir, 2006. 22 p. (In Russ.).
4. Lapshin V. E., SHahanov V. V. Pravovoe vospitanie osuzhdennyh: poisk novyh podhodov [Legal education of convicts: the
search for new approaches]. Vestn. in-ta: prestuplenie, nakazanie, ispravlenie – Bulletin of the Institute: crime, punishment,
correction. 2018. Iss. 1 (41). P. 13–18. (In Russ.).
5. Lejst O. EH. Sushchnost’ prava. Problemy teorii i filosofii prava [The essence of law. Problems of the theory and philosophy
of law]. Moscow, 2002. 288 p. (In Russ.).
6. Malahov V. P. Filosofiya prava : ucheb. posobie [Philosophy of Law : tutorial]. Moscow, 2002. 448 p. (In Russ.).
7. Mal’ko A. V., Romashov R. A., Timofeeva E. A. Penitenciarno-pravovaya politika Rossii: konstitucionnye osnovy : obzor
materialov vseros. kruglogo stola (Samara, 12 dekabrya 2013 g.) [Penal-legal policy of Russia: constitutional bases :
review of materials of the All-Russian round table (Samara, December 12, 2013)]. Gos-vo i pravo – State and law. 2014.
Iss. 12. P. 106–114. (In Russ.).
8. Martyshin O. V. Obshcheteoreticheskie yuridicheskie nauki i ih sootnoshenie [General theoretical legal sciences and their
relationship]. Gos-vo i pravo – State and law. 2004. Iss. 7. P. 5–11. (In Russ.).
9. Martyshin O. V. Filosofiya prava : ucheb. dlya magistrov [Philosophy of Law : textbook for masters]. Moscow, 2017.
352 p. (In Russ.).
10. Pokrovskij I. A. Osnovnye problemy grazhdanskogo prava [The main problems of civil law]. Moscow, 2001. 354 p. (In
11. Rudakov A. A. Parnye yuridicheskie kategorii: teoriya prav i obyazannostej : monogr. [Paired legal categories: theory of
rights and obligations : monograph]. Moscow, 2017. 232 p. (In Russ.).
12. Svinin E. V. Neobhodimost’ i sluchajnost’ kak vyrazhenie zakonomernostej pravovoj dejstvitel’nosti : avtoref. dis. …
kand. yurid. nauk [Necessity and chance as an expression of the laws of legal reality : the author’s abstract of the diss. ...
PhD. in Law]. Vladimir, 2006. 26 p. (In Russ.).
13. Filosofiya prava. Kurs lekcij : ucheb. posobie : v 2 t. / otv. red. M. N. Marchenko [Philosophy of law. Course of lectures :
study guide : in 2 vol. : ed. by M. N. Marchenko]. Moscow, 2018. Vol. 1. 552 p. (In Russ.).
14. Filosofiya ugolovnogo prava / sost. d-r yurid. nauk, prof. YU. V. Golik, A. YU. Golik ; red. i vst. st. d-rа yurid. nauk, prof.
YU. V. Golika [The philosophy of criminal law / comp. Dsc. in Law, Prof. Yu. V. Golik, A. Yu. Golik; ed. by Dsc. in Law, Prof.
Yu. V. Golik]. St. Petersburg, 2004. 348 p. (In Russ.).
15. CHicherin B. N. Filosofiya prava. 2-e izd., ispr. [Philosophy of law. 2nd ed., rev.]. Moscow, 2011. 344 p. (In Russ.).
16. SHvydkij V. G. Kara – kachestvo ugolovnogo nakazaniya [Scourge – the property of criminal punishment]. Gos-vo i
pravo – State and law. 2006. Iss. 4. P. 21–28. (In Russ.).