An analysis of the results of an empirical study of the relationship between mental
states and personal qualities of persons under investigation under conditions of detention
in a detention facility revealed correlations between stress tolerance and neuropsychic
stress (the higher the stress resistance, the higher the level of neuropsychic stress of the
persons under investigation), emotional lability and neuropsychological stress (the more
pronounced the instability of the emotional state of the suspect and the less developed
his ability to control himself, t m below the level of neuropsychic tension), personality type
and neuropsychic tension (the level of psychological tension in those under investigation
extraverts is higher than that of introverts), the type of personality and the dominant
state (those under investigation extraverts are not prone to manifestation of unmotivated
anxiety, and introverts are prone to the experience of unmotivated anxiety), emotional
lability and dominant state (the more pronounced the instability of the emotional state
of the suspects, the higher the level of relaxed spine), the type of interaction with people
around them and the dominant state (people under investigation with a pronounced desire
for trustingly frank interaction with people around them more clearly demonstrate the
relaxedness of behavior), masculinity-femininity and the dominant state (people under
investigation, whose mental activity proceeds mainly male-type, heavier transfer the
situation of restriction of freedom. The stronger the degree of masculinity in such persons,
the more critical their self-esteem is, the spontaneous aggression and the dominant state
(the higher the level of psychopathisation of the introspective type in suspects, the higher
the degree of satisfaction with their lives in general), depression and dominant state (in
those under investigation). dissatisfied with their lives, the severity of depressive states
is higher), reactive aggressiveness and depression (those under investigation with an
aggressive attitude towards social circling and a pronounced desire to dominate is not
prone to depressive states).
The study of the mental states of a person deprived of liberty is important for the
organization of the correction process and the development of recommendations for the
prevention of the destructive behavior of persons under investigation due to their mental
Keywords: suspects; personality competences; mental states; criminal identity
Associate Professor of the Department of Psychology of the G. I. Nosov Magnitogorsk State Technical University, PhD. in Pedagogics, Associate Professor.
, e-mail email@example.com
1. Antonyan YU. M. Obshchaya psihologicheskaya harakteristika lic, otbyvayushchih pozhiznennoe lishenie svobody
[General psychological characteristics of persons serving imprisoment life]. Problemy ostrova pomilovannyh ubijc –
Problems of Island of pardoned killers. Vologda, 1996. Pp. 29–30. (In Russ.).
2. Antonyan YU. M., Еnikeev M. I., Eminov V. Е. Psihologiya prestupnika i rassledovaniya prestuplenij [Psychology of the
criminal and the crime investigation]. Moscow, 1996. 172 p. (In Russ.).
3. Anfinogenov A. I. Psihologicheskij portret prestupnika, ego razrabotka v processe rassledovaniya prestupleniya : dis. ...
kand. psihol. nauk [Psychological portrait of a criminal, his development in the process of investigating a crime : the diss. …
PhD. in Psychology]. Moscow, 1997. 183 p. (In Russ.).
4. Asatryan H. A., Hristyuk A. A. Harakteristika lichnosti prestupnika, zanimayushchegosya organizovannoj prestupnoj
deyatel’nost’yu [Characteristics of the offender engaged in organized criminal activity]. Kriminol. zhurn. Bajkal. gos. un-ta
ekonomiki i prava – Criminological Journal of the Baikal State University of Economics and Law. 2014. Iss. 3. Pp. 40–48.
5. Vavilova L. V., Kiryuhina Е. L. Osobennosti lichnosti osuzhdennyh, otbyvayushchih nakazanie v vide pozhiznennogo
lisheniya svobody [Personality characteristics of convicts serving sentences of life imprisonment]. Ros. sledovatel’ –
Russian investigator. 2005. Iss. 6. Pp. 44–47. (In Russ.).
6. Karpec I. I. Ugolovnoe pravo i etika [Criminal law and ethics]. Moscow, 1985. 256 p. (In Russ.).
7. Konysheva L. P. Psihologicheskij analiz serijnyh prestuplenij [Psychological analysis of serial crimes]. YUridicheskaya
psihologiya : sb. nauch. tr. / pod red. G. H. Еfremovoj, O. D. Sitkovskoj. Vyp. 3. – Legal psychology : a collection of scientific
papers : ed. by G. Kh. Efremova, O. D. Sitkovskaya. Iss. 3. Moscow, 2005. Part I. Pp. 39–54. (In Russ.).
8. Kudryavcev V. N. Prestupnost’ i nravy perekhodnogo obshchestva [Crime and morals of a transitional society]. Moscow,
2002. 238 p. (In Russ.).
9. Manhaeva O. M., Kadyrov R. V. CHuvstvo viny i stili mezhlichnostnogo povedeniya u zaklyuchennyh, otbyvayushchih
nakazanie v ispravitel’nyh uchrezhdeniyah [Guilt and styles of interpersonal behavior among prisoners serving sentences in
correctional institutions]. Priklad. yurid. psihologiya – Applied legal psychology. 2011. Iss. 4 . Pp. 68–75. (In Russ.).
10. Mironenko L. F. Psihologicheskoe sostoyanie arestovannyh, zaklyuchennyh i ih rodstvennikov i psihologicheskoe
sostoyanie osvobodivshihsya iz mest zaklyucheniya i ih rodnyh [The psychological state of arrested persons, prisoners
and their relatives, and the psychological state of those released from places of detention and their relatives]. Krizisnye
sostoyaniya i poststressovye rasstrojstva – Crisis states and post-stress disorders. Available at: http://www.psyinst.ru/
library (accessed 16.04.2018). (In Russ.).
11. Mironov D. V. Psihologicheskoe obespechenie raskrytiya serijnyh ubijstv : avtoref. dis. ... kand. psihol. nauk [Psychological
support of serial murder disclosures : author’s abstract of the diss. … PhD. in Psychology]. Moscow, 2001. 19 p. (In Russ.).
12. Muhina B. C. Otchuzhdennye: Absolyut otchuzhdeniya [Alienated: Absolute alienation]. Moscow, 2009. 704 p. (In
13. Ratinov A. R. K yadru lichnosti prestupnika [To the core of the identity of the offender]. Aktual’nye problemy ugolovnogo
prava i kriminologii : sb. nauch. tr. – Actual problems of criminal law and criminology : a collection of scientific papers.
Moscow, 1981. Pp. 67–86. (In Russ.).
14. Slavinskaya YU. V., Bovin B. G. Lichnost’ osuzhdennogo, otbyvayushchego pozhiznennoe lishenie svobody: social’nodemograficheskie i kriminologicheskie aspekty [Personality of the convict serving life imprisoment : socio-demographic
and criminological aspects]. Kochenovskie chteniya «Psihologiya i pravo v sovremennoj Rossii» : sb. tez. uchastnikov
vseros. konf. po yurid. psihologii s mezhdunar. uchastiem – Kochenov readings «Psychology and law in modern Russia»: a collection of abstracts of participants of the All-Russian conference on legal psychology with international participation.
Moscow, 2010. Pp. 188–192. (In Russ.).
15. Uzlov N. D., Sajdali Е. A. Ot podavlennoj k akkumulirovannoj agressii: kak osuzhdennye k pozhiznennomu lisheniyu
svobody ocenivayut svoyu agressivnost’ [From repressed to accumulated aggression: how people sentenced to life
imprisonment assess their aggression]. Tyumen. med. zhurn. – Tyumen Medical Journal. 2014. Vol. 16. Iss. 1. Pp. 47–49.
16. Agnew R., DeLisi M. General strain theory, the criminal justice system and beyond: Introduction to the special issue //
Journal of Criminal Justice. 2012. Vol. 40. Iss. 3. Pp. 174–175. (In Eng.).
17. Brooke D, Taylor C, Gunn J, Maden A. Point preval ence of mental disorder in unconvicted male prisoners in England //
BMJ. 1996. Vol. 313. Рp. 1524–1527. (In Eng.).
18. Cochran J., Mears D. Social isolation and inmate behavior: a conceptual framework for theorizing prison visitation and
guiding and assessing research // Journal of Criminal Justice. 2013. Vol. 41. Iss. 4. Pp. 252–261. (In Eng.).
19. Morris R. G., Carriaga M. L., Diamond B., Piquero N. L., Piquero A. R. Does prison strain lead to prison misbehavior? An
application of general strain theory to inmate misconduct // Journal of Criminal Justice. 2012. Vol. 40. Iss. 3. Pp. 194–201.