Modern penal policy is aimed at commutation of sentence and strengthening
educational measures of influence on convicts, creating a humane environment for
serving sentences. For the organization of effective correctional process as well as for the
prevention of offenses it is important to conduct educational work with convicts of conflict
behavior. Thus it is expedient to allocate such category as repeatedly convicted convicts.
The issue of recidivism of convicts is relevant in the context of measures taken by
the state to ensure law and order. In addition it is noted that over the past decade in
correctional institutions the number of positively characterized particularly dangerous
recidivists is constantly decreasing. At the same time the number of malicious violators of
the regime is increasing.
In this regard it is necessary to know and take into account the specific personality
traits of repeatedly convicted convicts, who differ from other categories of offenders
by wariness and distrust of others, the desire to hide their true thoughts and intentions.
Convicts of this category often experience a state of hostility to the outside world, can
become aggressive, attributing all their failures to blame other people. As a result they
may be parties to conflict situations.
Conflicts appear and inevitably exist in any social structure, as they seem to be a
necessary condition for the development of society. In the communities of convicts
conflicts are clashes of opposing views, opinions, interests and aspirations, which are
based on the aggravation of contradictions between them. Aggressive behavior in a
correctional institution is for many the main means of resolving conflicts that arise among
repeatedly convicted convicts.
The article presents recommendations for correctional officers on educational work
with repeatedly convicted convicts, prone to conflict communication in prison such as
the diagnosis of convicts to identify and describe the features of strategies of behavior
in a conflict situation; the use of predominantly individual forms of educational influence;
educational activities for the formation of life goals and preparation of convicts for release
and aimed at the development of skills of self-knowledge and change the self-concept
of convicts; teaching methods of self-regulation; educational work on the resolution and
prevention of conflicts among convicts; individual consultations with convicts experiencing
difficulties in everyday life; organization of preventive and explanatory conversations,
educational lectures, role-playing games and trainings on conflict-free communication.
The meaning and content of educational work with convicts of conflict behavior should
not be reduced to explaining the generally accepted norms and rules of behavior, but to
a radical reassessment of life lived, breaking the existing stereotypes of behavior and
changing their own inner world.
Keywords: places of imprisonment; educational work; repeatedly convicted
convicts; conflict behavior; measures of educational influence on convicts of conflict
Professor of the Department of Legal Psychology and
Pedagogics of the Vologda Institute of Law and Economics of the Federal Penal Service of Russia, Dsc. in Pedagogics, Professor, Member-correspondent of the
International Academy of Sciences of Pedagogical Education
, e-mail firstname.lastname@example.org
1. Anan’ev O., Kuznecov O. CHtoby izbezhat’ mezhetnicheskih konfliktov [To avoid interethnic conflicts]. Prestuplenie i
nakazanie – Crime and Punishment, 2015, no. 4, pp. 12–13. (In Russ.).
2. Vasil’ev N. N. Trening preodoleniya konfliktov [Conflict Overcoming Training]. St. Petersburg, 2002. 170 p. (In Russ.).
3. Detkov A. P. Dinamika penitenciarnoj konfliktnoj situacii [Penitentiary conflict dynamics]. Rossijskij yuridicheskij zhurnal
– Russian Law Journal, 2012, no. 1, pp. 96–100. (In Russ.).
4. Emel’yanov N. S. Kriminologicheskoe issledovanie konfliktov s uchastiem osuzhdennyh. Diss. kand. yurid. nauk
[Criminological study of conflicts involving convicts. Diss. PhD. in Law]. Ryazan, 2015. 171 p. (In Russ.).
5. Institut problem sovremennogo obshchestva: statisticheskie materialy [Institute for the Problems of Modern Society:
Statistical Materials]. Available at: http://i-pso.ru/2016/04/05/299/ (accessed 16.05.2019). (In Russ.).
6. Kolomytcev N. A. Osobo opasnyj recidiv prestuplenij i bor’ba s nim [Particularly dangerous recidivism and fight against
it]. Kirov, 2001. 221 p. (In Russ.).
7. Manyahin A. V. Strategiya i taktika kommunikativnogo povedeniya sotrudnikov ispravitel’nogo uchrezhdeniya vo
vzaimodejstvii s osuzhdennymi [Strategy and tactics of communicative behavior of correctional staff in cooperation
with convicts]. II Mezhdunarodnyj penitenciarnyj forum «Prestuplenie, nakazanie, ispravlenie». Tom 5 [II International
Penitentiary Forum “Crime, Punishment, Correction”. Vol. 5]. Ryazan, 2015, pp. 218–221. (In Russ.).
8. Nedyuk M., Dagaeva K. Recidivisty stali sovershat’ bol’she prestuplenij [Repeat offenders commit more crimes]. Izvestiya
– Tidings, 2017, October 13th. (In Russ.).
9. Smirnov A. M. Profilaktika konfliktnyh situacij v srede osuzhdennyh k lisheniyu svobody [Prevention of conflict situations
among prisoners sentenced to imprisonment]. Vedomosti ugolovno-ispolnitel’noj sistemy – Journal of the penal system,
2015, no. 4, pp. 34–37. (In Russ.).
10. Suhov A. N. Kriminogennoe obshchenie v srede osuzhdennyh [Criminogenic communication among convicts]. Ryazan,
1993. 133 p. (In Russ.).