The article discusses the features of absenteeism in the field of suffrage as a social
phenomenon in society. At the same time its types and categories of absenteeists are
distinguished. The author comes to the conclusion that forced absenteeists, that is,
persons who do not take part in the election process for reasons beyond their control, can
include citizens convicted of imprisonment. The legal grounds for restricting the electoral
rights of convicts are analyzed, including special attention to the relationship between
constitutional norms and the provisions of international legal acts. The case-law of the
European Court of Human Rights also seems interesting. The content of the judgments
of this court regarding the restriction of the electoral rights of prisoners indicates an
unequivocal position regarding the inadmissibility of excessive restriction of these rights.
Conclusions are formulated that the issue of restricting the electoral rights of convicts
must be resolved consistently, taking into account the category of the crime committed,
its type, depending on the object of encroachment (political rights), the form of guilt
(intent). A measure in the form of restriction of suffrage should be applied as an additional
punishment. To implement this provision appropriate changes to the constitutional and
criminal legislation are necessary.
Keywords: penal system; absenteeism; suffrage; restriction of suffrage; international legal acts; convicts
Associate Professor of the Department of Administrative
and Legal Disciplines of the Vologda Institute of Law and Economics of the Federal
Penal Service of Russia, PhD. in Law, Associate Professor
, e-mail firstname.lastname@example.org
3rd year cadet of the Law Faculty of the Vologda Institute of Law and Economics of the Federal Penal Service of Russia.
, e-mail email@example.com
1. Belomestnyh L. L. Ogranichenie prav i svobod cheloveka i grazhdanina (teoreticheskij aspekt). Diss. kand. yurid. nauk
[Restriction of the rights and freedoms of man and citizen (theoretical aspect). Diss. PhD. in Law]. Moscow, 2003. 180 p.
2. Biryukov S. V., Kislyakov M. M. Elektoral’nyj absenteizm v kontekste sovremennyh social’no-politicheskih transformacij
[Electoral absenteeism in the context of modern socio-political transformations]. Vestnik Tomskogo gosudarstvennogo
universiteta. Filosofiya. Sociologiya. Politologiya – Bulletin of Tomsk State University. Philosophy. Sociology. Political
science, 2018, no. 43, pp. 171–180. (In Russ.).
3. Busheneva YU. I. Absenteizm kak faktor izbiratel’nogo processa v sovremennoj Rossii. Avtoref. diss. kand. yurid.
nauk [Absenteeism as a factor in the electoral process in modern Russia. Author’s abstract of the diss. PhD. in Law]. St.
Petersburg, 2007. 24 p. (In Russ.).
4. Velieva D. S., Presnyakov M. V. Passivnye izbiratel’nye prava: zakonodatel’noe ogranichenie ili yuridicheskaya
stigmatizaciya [Passive suffrage: legislative restriction or legal stigma]. Konstitucionnoe i municipal’noe pravo –
Constitutional and municipal law, 2019, no. 2, pp. 38–41. (In Russ.).
5. Vybory – 2018: rezul’taty golosovaniya i yavka [2018 Election: Voting Results and Turnout]. Available at: https://www.rbc.
ru/politics/18/03/2018/5aa652d49a79470accef8c29 (accessed 18.06.2019). (In Russ.).
6. Korolev R. V., Bakiev D. A. Nekotorye voprosy o politicheskih pravah osuzhdennyh k lisheniyu svobody [Some questions
about the political rights of prisoners]. Evrazijskij yuridicheskij zhurnal – Eurasian Law Journal, 2017, no. 8 (111), pp. 288–
289. (In Russ.).
7. Kuznecova A. V. Prichiny absenteizma v politike [Reasons for absenteeism in politics]. Simvol nauki – Symbol of science,
2016, 11-4 (23), pp. 196–198. (In Russ.).
8. Lafitskij V. I. Vybory v evropejskij parlament [European Parliament Elections]. ZHurnal rossijskogo prava – Journal of
Russian Law, 2005, no. 4, pp. 136–152. (In Russ.).
9. Prezidentskie vybory v Rossii s 1991 po 2012 god: cifry i fakty [Presidential elections in Russia from 1991 to 2012: figures
and facts]. Available at: http://antimaidan.ru/infographics/10154 (accessed 18.06.2019). (In Russ.).
10. Silant’ev K. S. Absenteizm kak sociologicheskaya problema [Absenteeism as a sociological problem]. Available at:
http://do.gendocs.ru/docs/index-356804.html?page=2 (accessed 18.06.2019). (In Russ.).