In the process of executing imprisonment the discussion point is the relationship
between punitive and correctional components. This requires optimizing the mechanism
of educational influence, strengthening the role of motivation for the lawful behavior
of convicts and their personal interest in achieving a certain degree of correction.
The implementation of the indicated position is possible only with a comprehensive
and consistent transformation of such an institution of imprisonment as changing the
conditions for serving a sentence, which is an important element of a progressive system.
A retrospective analysis of the penal legislation shows the dynamics of expressing
the legal status of persons sentenced to imprisonment at the normative level in various
historical periods of Belarus. In particular he demonstrates how the legislator built into
the procedure for the execution of sentence the mechanism for changing the nature and
extent of legal restrictions on a person sentenced to imprisonment.
Despite the long history of the existence of prisons the institution of changing the
conditions of serving a sentence of imprisonment has been functioning in the penal
legislation and practice of Belarus relatively recently. Using the historical method allows
us to determine a number of stages in the formation and development of the institution in
During the study the following results were obtained:
– a retrospective analysis of the institution of changing the conditions of detention and
the type of correctional institution sentenced to imprisonment was carried out;
– the forms of implementation of the progressive system in various historical periods
– patterns of formation and stages of development of legislation in the field of
regulation of changes in the conditions of prisoners sentenced to imprisonment and type
of correctional institution were identified.
Keywords: imprisonment; conditions of serving a sentence; progressive system;
principle of differentiation and individualization
Professor of the Department of Philosophy and History of the Psychological Department of the Vologda Institute of Law and Economics of the Federal Penal Service of Russia, Vologda, Russian Federation, Dsc. in Philosophy, Associate Professor.
, e-mail firstname.lastname@example.org
1. Babayan S. L. Pravovoe regulirovanie pooshchritel’nyh institutov ugolovno-ispolnitel’nogo prava (istoricheskij aspekt)
[Legal regulation of incentive institutions of penal law (historical aspect)]. Istoriya gosudarstva i prava – History of State and
Law, 2012, no. 17, pp. 37–41. (In Russ.).
2. Kuleshova N. N., Rodionov A. I., Hristoforova E. I. Rezhim ispravitel’no-trudovyh lagerej (SSSR 1929–1941) kak
formaciya, zakreplyayushchaya ogranicheniya prav grazhdan [The regime of forced labor camps (USSR 1929–1941) as a
formation fixing the restrictions on the rights of citizens]. Ryazan, 2015. 103 p. (In Russ.).
3. Gorlov A. G. (red.) Organy i vojska MVD Rossii. Kratkij istoricheskij ocherk [Bodies and troops of the Ministry of Internal
Affairs of Russia. A brief historical outline]. Moscow, 1996. 464 p. (In Russ.).
4. Pertli L. F. Obshchaya tyuremnaya instrukciya 1915 goda kak istoriko-pravovaya osnova penitenciarnogo zakonodatel’stva
[The general prison instruction of 1915 as the historical and legal basis of penal legislation]. Vestnik Vladimirskogo
yuridicheskogo institute – Bulletin of the Vladimir Law Institute, 2012, no. 2, pp. 199–206. (In Russ.).
5. Sergeev A. I. Mezhparlamentskaya Assambleya SNG kak faktor ukrepleniya integracionnogo vzaimodejstviya [CIS
Interparliamentary Assembly as a factor in strengthening integration interaction]. Dialog: politika, pravo, ekonomika –
Dialogue: politics, law, economics, 2017, no. 1, pp. 12–25. (In Russ.).
6. SHarkov A. V. Ugolovno-ispolnitel’naya sistema Respubliki Belarus’: istoriya i sovremennost’ [The penal system of the
Republic of Belarus: history and modernity]. Minsk, 2010. 322 p. (In Russ.).