Introduction: the need for effective psychocorrective work with persons convicted of terrorismrelated crimes, focused on the correction of these persons, does not raise any doubt. Even greater relevance to the problematic issues considered in the publication is given by the fact that we are talking about females. A not so significant number of convicts in this category, as well as gender psychological characteristics, determine the relevance and significance of aspects of psychological work with women convicted of terrorism-related crimes. Purpose: to determine roles and psychological motives of women in the commission of terrorism-related crimes and disclose methods of their recruitment. The study (83 women convicted of terrorism-related crimes) was conducted in the period from 2014 to 2022 with the help of the following methods: survey and analytical, providing a theoretical analysis of literary sources; empirical, involving the use of psychodiagnostic techniques, author’s questionnaires and questionnaires designed to determine general and sociopsychological characteristics of persons convicted of terrorism. The study covered 83 women convicted of terrorism-related crimes. The analysis of empirical material and scientific sources helps identify key trends of female terrorism, the role, psychological motives of behavior and methods of recruiting potential terrorists. Recommendations for conducting psychocorrective work with the appropriate category of persons are developed. Conclusion: the experience of psychocorrective work of correctional psychologists with women convicted of terrorism-related crimes has not been sufficiently studied due to the small number of this category in correctional institutions; the analysis of scientific data makes it possible to determine key reasons for women’s involvement in terrorismrelated crimes, as well as the roles and motives for which they were involved. Understanding mechanisms and motives of women’s involvement in terrorism-related crimes, psychologists of correctional institutions can conduct psychocorrection with this category of convicts.
Keywords: convicted women; gender aspect; socio-psychological characteristics; terrorism; psycho-correctional work; correction; penal system.
Candidate of Sciences (Psychology), Leading Researcher of Department 3 of the Research Center-2 of the Research Institute of the Federal Penal Service of Russia, Moscow, Russia
, e-mail firstname.lastname@example.org
1. Kazberov P.N., Bovin B.G. General characteristics of persons convicted of extremist and terrorist crimes. Psikhologiya i pravo = Psychology and Law, 2019, vol. 9, no. 1, pp. 36–53. (In Russ.).
2. Bovin B.G., Kazberov P.N., Bovina I.B. Mechanisms of psychological defense and dominant defense behavior of convicts for terrorist and extremist activities. Psikhologiya i pravo = = Psychology and Law, 2021, vol. 11, no. 2, pp. 86–105. (In Russ.).
3. Kazberov P.N., Novikov A.V., Slabkaya D.N. Sotsializatsiya i resotsializatsiya v penitentsiarnoi sfere [Socialization and resocialization in the penitentiary sphere]. Moscow, 2019. 144 p.
4. Kazberov P.N., Kulakova S.V., Novikov A.V. Osnovy psikhologicheskogo prognozirovaniya i korrektsii destruktivnoagressivnogo povedeniya osuzhdennykh lits za ekstremistskuyu i terroristicheskuyu deyatel’nost’ [Fundamentals of psychological forecasting and correction of destructive and aggressive behavior of convicted persons for extremist and terrorist activities]. Moscow, 2018. 96 p.
5. Kletsina I.S. Gendernaya sotsializatsiya [Gender socialization]. Saint Petersburg, 1998. 92 p.
6. Kulakova S.V. The main typological characteristics of women convicted of terrorist and extremist activities. Probely v rossiiskom zakonodatel’stve = Gaps in Russian Legislation, 2018, no. 6, pp. 214–225. (In Russ.).
7. Kazberov P.N., Spasennikov B.A., Tyun’kov V.V. Specific personality characteristics of prisoners convicted for terrorism and extremism crimes. Vserossiiskii kriminologicheskii zhurnal = Russian Journal of Criminology, 2019, vol. 13, no. 6, pp. 921–931. (In Russ.).
8. Hogg M. Uncertainty-identity theory: extreme groups, radical behavior, and authoritarian leadership. Journal of Social Issues, 2013, vol. 69, no. 3, pp. 436–454.
9. Kim I.V. Gender inequality in Islam: women’s terrorism. Analitika kul’turologi = Analytics of Cultural Studies, 2006, no. 2, pp. 66–71. (In Russ.).
10. Stefanyuk M.V. Phenomenon of female terrorism: psychology of motives and gender factor in crime. Molodoi uchenyi =Young Scientist, 2021, no. 19 (361), pp. 254–258.
11. Moghaddam F.M. The staircase to terrorism: a psychological. American Psychologist, 2005, no. 60, pp. 161–169.
12. Doosje B., Loseman A., Van den Bos K. Determinants of radicalisation of islamic youth in the netherlands: personal unicertainty, perceived injustice, and perceived group threat. Journal of Social Issues, 2013, vol. 69, no. 3, pp. 39–64.
13. Novikov V.V., Kulakova S.V., Polyakova Ya.N. The diversity of extremism. On the question of the framework of definitions. In: Religii i ekstremizm. Sposoby i metody protivodeistviya religioznomu ekstremizmu v mestakh lisheniya svobody: sb. materialov mezhvedomstv. mezhvuz. kruglogo stola s mezhdunar. uchastiem [Religion and extremism. Methods and methods of countering religious extremism in places of deprivation of liberty: collection of materials of the interdepartmental interuniversity round table with international participation]. Moscow, 2017. PP. 121–123. (In Russ.).
14. Oganesyan S.S., Gabaraev A.Sh., Ushkov F.I., Godovanets O.G. Problemy protivodeistviya religioznomu ekstremizmu i puti formirovaniya veroterpimosti v mestakh lisheniya svobody [Problems of countering religious extremism and ways of forming religious tolerance in places of deprivation of liberty]. Moscow, 2017. 64 p.
15. Sosnin V.A., Nestik T.A. Sovremennyi terrorizm: sotsial’no-psikhologicheskii analiz [Modern terrorism: sociopsychological analysis]. Moscow, 2008. 240 p.
16. Oganesyan S.S. The main problems of countering religious extremism in the penal system of Russia and the directions of their solution. In: Prestuplenie, nakazanie, ispravlenie (k 20-letiyu vstupleniya v silu Ugolovno-ispolnitel’nogo kodeksa Rossiiskoi Federatsii): sb. tez. vystuplenii i dokladov uchastnikov [Crime, punishment, correction (to the 20th anniversary of the entry into force of the Penal Code of the Russian Federation): collection of abstracts of speeches and reports of participants]. Ryazan, 2017. Pp. 96–102. (In Russ.).
17. Knight A. Female terrorists in the Russian Socialist Revolutionary Party. The Russian Review, 1979, vol. 38, no. 2, pp. 139–159.
18. Enikolopov S.N., Mkrchyan A.A. Psychological consequences of terrorism and the role of the media in the process of their formation. Prikladnaya psikhologiya = Applied Psychology, 2010, no. 4, pp. 41–46.
19. Kulakova S.V. Consideration of gender aspects of female juvenile convicts. Voprosy yuvenal’noi yustitsii = Issues of Juvenile Justice, 2021, no. 1, pp. 10–13. (In Russ.).
20. Zlokazov K.V., Karayani A.G. Radicalization of youth vision of the role of religion in society by methods of cognitive warfare. Psikhopedagogika v pravookhranitel’nykh organakh = Psychopedagogy in Law Enforcement, 2022, vol. 27, no. 3(90), pp. 246–251. (In Russ.).