Introduction: the article examines the content of the international prohibition of propaganda for war, the procedure for fixing the prohibition in Russian law, as well as the imperfection of criminal legislation, including liability for public calls to unleash a war of aggression. Purpose: to analyze history of the formation of the international prohibition of war propaganda and its content, compare it with the regulation of this prohibition in Russian law, especially in criminal legislation, and suggest ways to improve the latter. Methods: historical and systematic methods, as well as comparative legal and formal legal methods, were used to solve the tasks. Results: the article shows the work of international conferences on the unification of criminal law, launched in the first half of the 20th century, and the activity of the League of Nations that adopted an important international document in the field of prohibition of propaganda for war in peacetime in 1936, namely, the International Convention Concerning the Use of Broadcasting in the Cause of Peace. After the establishment of the United Nations, the prohibition of war propaganda was finally fixed in the International Covenant on Civil and Political Rights of 1966, developed by the Human Rights Committee. The analysis of Russian legislation shows that such a prohibition is contained in various branches of law, for example, in constitutional law. Moreover, Article 354 of the Criminal Code contains crime elements of public calls for unleashing a war of aggression. Conclusion: despite this prohibition is present in various branches of Russian law, we have identified the imperfection of this criminal law ban. The domestic legislator has formulated crime elements of public calls for unleashing a war of aggression too narrowly; the author of the article suggests ways to eliminate this shortcoming through additional criminalization of propaganda for aggression against states.
Keywords: a war of aggression; propaganda for war; propaganda for aggression; public calls; unleashing a war of aggression; criminal liability; crime elements.
Lawyer at the Analytical Center of Criminal Law and Criminology, Moscow, Russia
1. Trainin A. Ugolovnaya otvetstvennost’ za propagandu agressii [Criminal liability for propaganda of aggression]. Moscow, 1947. 40 p.
2. Zmeevskii A.V. Problems of combating terrorism at international conferences on the unification of criminal legislation (1927– 1933). Moskovskii zhurnal mezhdunarodnogo prava = Moscow Journal of International Law, 1993, no. 4, pp. 63–88. (In Russ.).
3. Rappaport S. The problem of the inter-state criminal law. Transactions of the Grotius Society, 1923, vol. 18, pp. 41–64. (In Russ.).
4. Downey E.A Historical survey of the international regulation of propaganda. Michigan Journal of International law, 1984, vol. 5, pp. 341–360.
5. Tret’yakova O. Prohibition of propaganda for war in the media: international and Russian legal norms. Sotsial’nye igumanitarnye znaniya = Social and Humanitarian Knowledge, 2020, no. 4, pp. 212–228. (In Russ.).
6. Kearney M. The prohibition of propaganda for war in the International Covenant on civil and political rights. Netherlands Quarterly of Human Rights, 2005, vol. 23/4, pp. 551–570. DOI: https://doi.org/10.1177/01693441050230040.
7. Taylor P. A commentary on the International Covenant on Civil and Political Rights. The UN Human Rights Committee’s Monitoring of ICCRP Rights. Cambridge, 2020. 944 p.
8. UN Human Rights Committee General Comment No. 11 “Prohibition of propaganda for war and inciting national, racial or religious hatred (Art. 20)”. 29 July 1983. Available at: https://www.ohchr.org/sites/default/files/Documents/Issues/ Opinion/CCPRGeneralCommentNo11.pdf (accessed September 17, 2022).
9. Center for Civil and Political Rights. Simple guide on the International Covenant on Civil and Political Rights (ICCRP). An overview of the Articles 1–27. Available at: https://ccprcentre.org/files/media/Simple_guide_on_The_International_Covenant.pdf (accessed September 17, 2022).
10. McGonagle T. Minority rights, freedom of expression and of the media: dynamics and dilemmas. School of Human Rights Research Series. Cambridge, 2011. 688 p.
11. Rikhter A.G. Prohibition of propaganda of war in international law. In: Krivonosov A.D. (Ed.). Sovremennye SMI i Mediarynok: sb. nauch. tr. v chest’ prof. E.E. Kornilovoi [Modern mass media and media market: collection of scientific papers in honor of Professor E.E. Kornilova]. Saint Petersburg, 2019. Pp. 108–115. (In Russ.).
12. Kommentarii k Ugolovnomu kodeksu RSFSR [Commentary on the Criminal Code of the RSFSR]. Ed. by Severin Yu.D. Moscow, 1984. 528 p.
13. Kurs sovetskogo ugolovnogo prava. Osobennaya chast’. Tom 3 [The course of Soviet criminal law. Special part. Volume 3]. Ed. by Belyaev N.A., Shargorodskii M.D. Leningrad, 1973. 459 p.
14. Entsiklopediya ugolovnogo prava. T. 31 [The course of Soviet criminal law. Special part. Volume III]. Saint Petersburg, 2019. 423 p.
15. Ugolovnoe pravo Rossii. Osobennaya chast’: ucheb. [Criminal law of Russia. Special part: textbook]. Ed. by Esakov G.A. Moscow, 2021. 608 p.
16. Ryabchuk V.N. Criminal liability for public calls for violent actions against the Soviet state and social system. Pravovedenie = Jurisprudence, 1991, no. 2, pp. 89–95. (In Russ.).
17. Kabolov V.V. Prestupleniya protiv mira i bezopasnosti chelovechestva: dis. … kand. yurid. nauk [Crimes against the peace and security of mankind: Candidate of Sciences (Law) dissertation]. Rostov-on-Don, 2002. 202 p.
18. Ugolovnoe pravo. Osobennaya chast’: ucheb. dlya vuzov [Criminal law. Special Part: textbook for universities]. Ed. By Prozumentov L.M. Tomsk, 2019. 843 p.
19. Ugolovnoe pravo Rossii. Osobennaya chast’. Tom 2 [Criminal law of Russia. Special part. Volume 2]. Ed. by Kapinus O.S. Moscow, 2015. 639 p.
20. Lopashenko N.A. Rossiiskoe ugolovnoe pravo. Obshchaya i Osobennaya chasti: uchebnik. T. 3. Osobennaya chast’ [Russian criminal law. General and special parts: textbook. Vol. 3. Special part]. Ed. by Lopashenko N.A. Moscow, 2014. 576 p.
21. Lobach D.V. Prestupleniya protiv mira: ugolovno-pravovoe issledovanie: dis. … kand. yurid. nauk [Crimes against peace: criminal law research: Candidate of Sciences (Law) dissertation]. Saratov, 2013. 261 p.
22. Kunashev A. Public call to terrorist activities, public justification of terrorism or propaganda of terrorism: criminal law analysis and issues of classification. Ugolovnoe pravo = Criminal Law, 2018, no. 6, pp. 81–89. (In Russ.).
23. Moskalev G.L. Propaganda of terrorism (Article 205.2 of the Criminal Code of the Russian Federation). Natsional’naya bezopasnost’ = National Security, 2018, no. 6, pp. 79–87. (In Russ.).
24. Kommentarii k Ugolovnomu kodeksu RSFSR 1960 (po sost. na 1 iyulya 1962 g.) [Commentary to the 1960 Criminal Code of the RSFSR (as of July 1, 1962)]. Ed. by Tikhonova G.P., Bol’shakov A.A. Leningrad, 1962. 472 p.