The article deals with one of the most controversial phenomena in criminal law – administrative prejudice. The author conducts a deep systematic and comparative legal analysis of this concept, gives its legal characteristic, explores its theoretical foundations, historical origins and evolution, including the pre-revolutionary, Soviet and post-Soviet periods. Purpose: based on the study of the legal nature, social conditionality of administrative prejudice, to identify problems of compliance of its application with the goals and objectives of modern criminal policy in Russia. Methods: the research is based on a dialectical approach to the study of social processes and phenomena. It uses methods traditional for the sciences of criminal law and criminology, such as analysis and synthesis; comparative legal; retrospective; formal legal; logical; comparative. The following private scientific methods are also used: a legal-dogmatic method and interpretation of legal norms. Results: the article reveals doctrinal origins of the administrative prejudice concept, better called as the theory of punitive progression, based on the repetition of homogeneous actions with an increasing level of illegality and progressive repression. In this regard, the works of C. Lombroso, E. Ferry, and R. Garofalo are studied. The article examines in detail the modern scientific controversy on the constitutional and doctrinal validity of the inclusion of norms with administrative prejudice in the criminal law. By conducting a comparative legal analysis of the meaning of the term “administrative prejudice” in other branches of law, in particular civil and criminal proceedings, the author establishes that the original (genuine) essence of this concept is expressed in the legal force (prejudice) of a court decision or other jurisdictional body, eliminating the need for its revision in the future. It has nothing to do with the concept of the so-called administrative prejudice in criminal law. It is noted that the criminal law terminology, reflecting the concepts used in other branches of law, is often filled with its own, narrowly sectoral meaning, different from the original one. The author considers intersectoral divergence and doctrinal inconsistency of this legal phenomenon and presents his point of view on possible negative consequences of the existence of norms with administrative prejudice in criminal law. He studies connection with and distinction between administrative prejudice and blank and predicate crimes, as well as recidivism of crimes, criminal and executive prejudice. In this regard, a new term “sectoral prejudice” is proposed. Conclusion: a number of conclusions are formulated about the meaning and prospects for the application of administrative prejudice in criminal law, theoretical and practical arguments for its exclusion from the criminal law.
Keywords: Administrative prejudice; complex (sectoral) prejudice; theory of punitive progression; repetition of homogeneous actions with an increasing Kolevel of illegality and progressive repression; recidivism of crimes; intersectoral recidivism; blank and predicate crimes
Doctor of Sciences (Law), Professor, Chief Researcher at the Department for the Development of Methodology for the Execution of Criminal Penalties without Deprivation of Liberty of the Center for the Study of the Problems of the Execution of Criminal Penalties and Psychological Support for Professional Activities of Employees of the Penal System of the Research Institute of the Federal Penitentiary Service of Russia, Russia, Moscow, Russia, professor at the Department of Penal Law and Organization of Educational Work with Convicts of the Vologda Institute of Law and Economics of the Federal Penitentiary Service, Vologda, Russia
, e-mail email@example.com
1. Yunusov A.A., Serkova T.V. Administrative prejudice in Russian criminal law. Aktual’nye problemy ekonomiki i prava = Russian Journal of Economics and Law, 2015, no. 1, pp. 278–282. (In Russ.).
2. Kolosova V.I. Administrative prejudice as a means of preventing crimes. Vestnik Nizhegorodskogo universiteta im. N.I. Lobachevskogo = Vestnik of Lobachevsky University of Nizhni Novgorod, 2011, no. 5 (1), pp. 246–253. (In Russ.).
3. Goshaev I.M. Regulation of administrative prejudice in the criminal legislation of Russia: historical and legal analysis. Yurist-Pravoved = Lawyer-Legal Expert, 2017, no. 3 (82), pp. 130–135. (In Russ.).
4. Bezverkhov A.G. Administrative prejudice in the criminal legislation of Russia: origins, realities, prospects. Vestnik Samarskoi gumanitarnoi akademii. Seriya: Pravo = Bulletin of the Samara Academy of Humanities. Series: Law, 2010, no. 2 (10), pp. 39–43. (In Russ.).
5. Shcheglovitov I.G. Civil jurisdiction in criminal cases. In: Zhurnal grazhdanskogo i ugolovnogo prava. Kn. V [Journal of Civil and Criminal Law. Book 5]. 1892. Pp. 65–117. (In Russ.).
6. Foinitskii I.Ya. Kurs ugolovnogo sudoproizvodstva: v 2 t. T. 2 [Course of criminal proceedings. In 2 volumes]. Saint Petersburg, 1996. 607 p.
7. Vas’kovskii E.V. Uchebnik grazhdanskogo protsessa [Textbook of civil procedure]. Ed. by Tomsinov V.A. Moscow, 2003. 441 p.
8. Prakticheskoe rukovodstvo dlya sudebnykh sledovatelei, sostoyashchikh pri okruzhnykh sudakh: in 2 ch. Ch. 1 [Practical guide for judicial investigators – district court members: in 2 parts. Part 1]. Comp. by Makalinskii P.V. Petrograd, 1915. 456 p.
9. Raison A.K. On the 27th article of the Statute of Criminal Proceedings. In: Zhurnal grazhdanskogo i ugolovnogo prava. Kn. V [Journal of Civil and Criminal Law. Book 5]. 1890. Pp. 1–72 (In Russ.).
10. Raison A.K. On the 29th article of the Statute of Criminal Proceedings. In: Zhurnal grazhdanskogo i ugolovnogo prava. Kn. IV [Journal of Civil and Criminal Law. Book 4]. 1892. Pp. 1–72 (In Russ.).
11. Nemirovskii E. Prejudicial issues in criminal proceedings under Russian law. In: Zhurnal yuridicheskogo obshchestva. Kn. 3 [Journal of the Law Society. Book 3]. 1897. Pp. 1–72. (In
12. Pletneva O.E. Vzaimnaya obyazannost’ sudebnykh reshenii i aktov organov gosudarstvennogo upravleniya: avtoref. dis. … kand. yurid. nauk [Mutual obligation of judicial decisions and acts of public administration bodies: Candidate of Sciences (Law) dissertation abstract]. Sverdlovsk, 1989. 13 p.
13. Tarbagaeva E.B. Truthfulness, prejudice and legal force of a court decision. In: Problemy dokazyvaniya po ugolovnym delam: mezhvuz. sb. nauchn. tr. [Problems of proof in criminal cases: collection of scientific works]. Krasnoyarsk, 1988. Pp. 52–60. (In Russ.).
14. Iskanderov R. On the prejudicial meaning of the sentence. Sovetskaya yustitsiya = Soviet Justice, 1990, no. 22, pp. 22–23. (In Russ.).
15. Korshunov N. M., Mareev Yu. L. Grazhdanskii protsess [Civil process]. Moscow, 2010. 928 p.
16. Dvoryanskov I.V. Ugolovno-pravovaya okhrana interesov sudebnoi vlasti: monogr. [Criminal and legal protection of the interests of the judiciary: monograph]. Moscow, 2013. 377 p.
17. Yamasheva E.V. On the restoration of the institution of administrative prejudice in the criminal law of Russia. Rossiiskoe pravo = Russian Law, 2009, no. 10, pp. 69–79. (In Russ.).
18. Pikurov N.I. Administrative prejudice in criminal law: possible is it rehabilitation? In: Ugolovnoe pravo: strategiya razvitiya v 21 veke: mater. 4-i Mezhdunar. nauch.-prakt. konf. [Criminal law: development strategy in the 21st century: proceedings of 4th International scientific and practical conference]. Moscow, 2002. Pp. 88–93. (In Russ.).
19. Ovechkina E.V. Return to administrative prejudice: “for” and “against”. Zakon i pravo = Law and Legislation, 2008, no. 2, pp. 52–53. (In Russ.).
20. Bavsun M.I., Bavsun I.G., Tikhon I.A. Administrative prejudice and prospects of its application at the present stage. Administrativnoe pravo i protsess = Administrative Law and Process, 2008, no. 6, pp. 6–9. (In Russ.).
21. Ivanov N. Bible and criminal law. Sovetskaya yustitsiya = Soviet Justice, 1992, no. 7-8, pp. 23–26. (In Russ.).
22. Esakov G.A. On the issue of general and criminal wrongfulness. In: Rarog A.I. (Ed.). Ugolovnoe pravo: strategiya razvitiya v 21 veke: materialy 6-i Mezhdunar.i nauch.-prakt. konf., 29-30 yanvarya 2009 g. [Criminal law: development strategy in the 21st century: materials of the 6th International scientific and practical conference on January 29–30, 2009]. Moscow, 2009. Pp. 168–172. (In Russ.).
23. Pikurov N.I. System properties of the subject of criminal law. In: Razgil’diev B.T. (Ed.). Predmet ugolovnogo prava i ego rol’ v formirovanii ugolovnogo zakonodatel’stva Rossiiskoi Federatsii: nauch.-prakt. konf. posvyashchennaya pamyati A.N. Krasikova (25‒26 aprelya 2002 g.) [The subject of criminal law and its role in the formation of criminal legislation of the Russian Federation: scientific and practical conference dedicated to the memory of A.N. Krasikov (April 25–26, 2002)]. Saratov, 2002. Pp. 20–22. (In Russ.).
24. Kurs ugolovnogo prava: v 5 t. T. 1. Obshchaya chast’. Uchenie o prestuplenii [The course of criminal law: in 5 volumes. Volume 1. General part. Doctrine of crime]. Ed. by Kuznetsova N.F., Tyazhkova I.M. Moscow, 2002. 611 p.
25. Kelina S.G. Modern trend in the development of criminal legislation and criminal law theory. Gosudarstvo i pravo = State and Law, 1994, no. 6, pp. 42–43. (In Russ.).
26. Bakhrakh D.N. Administrativnaya otvetstvennost’ grazhdan v SSSR: ucheb. posobie [Administrative liability of citizens in the USSR: textbook]. Sverdlovsk, 1989. 201 p.
27. Zuev V.L. Dokazyvanie po delam o prestupleniyakh s administrativnoi preyuditsiei: dis. … kand. yurid. nauk [Proving in cases of crimes with administrative prejudice: Candidate of Sciences (Law) dissertation]. Moscow, 1991. 190 p.
28. Tarbagaev A.N. Administrative liability in criminal law Pravovedenie = Law Science, 1992, no. 2, pp. 62–68. (In Russ.).
29. Lombroso C. Grafologia. Milano, 1895. 245 p.
30. Lombroso C. Pazzi ed annomali. Città di Castello, 1890. 366 p.
31. Lombrozo C. Moe poseshchenie Tolstogo [My visit to Tolstoy]. Zheneva, 1902. 13 p.
32. Inshakov S.M. Zarubezhnaya kriminologiya: ucheb. posobie dlya vuzov [Foreign criminology: textbook for universities]. Moscow, 2003. 383 p.
33. Ferri E. Ugolovnaya sotsiologiya [Criminal sociology]. Ed. by Poznyshev S.V. Moscow, 1908. 591 p.
34. Dvoryanskov I.V. Ispolnenie nakazanii i inykh ugolovno-pravovykh mer bez izolyatsii osuzhdennykh ot obshchestva v istorii Rossii [Execution of punishments and other criminal legal measures without isolation of convicts from society in the history of Russia]. Saint Petersburg, 2017. 111 p.
35. Ugolovno-ispolnitel’noe pravo Rossii: uchebnik dlya yuridicheskikh vuzov i fakul’tetov [Penal law of Russia: textbook for law schools and faculties]. Ed. by Zubkov A.I. Moscow, 1997. 614 p.
36. Dvoryanskov I.V. Conceptual issues of the goals of punishment. Penitentsiarnaya nauka = Penitentiary Science, 2021, vol. 15, no. 2 (54), pp. 247–259. (In Russ.).
37. Dvoryanskov I.V. Pravovye osnovy ispolneniya nakazanii, inykh ugolovno-pravovykh i ugolovno-protsessual’nykh mer, ne svyazannykh s izolyatsiei ot obshchestva: monogr. [Legal bases of execution of punishments, other criminal-legal and criminal-procedural measures not related to isolation from society: monograph]. Moscow, 2023. 136 p.