Among crimes committed by convicts serving criminal sentences in places of
imprisonment grievous bodily injury poses an increased danger, since it primarily infringes
on the constitutional rights of a person and a citizen.
The disclosure and investigation of these crimes as well as the development of certain
measures to prevent them in a timely manner are more effective in identifying and using
basic data on the personality characteristics of the offender, which are manifested in the
process of preparation, commission and concealment of an unlawful act as well as in the
course of its disclosure and investigation.
Among the personality characteristics of the offender who committed the grievous
bodily injury in the correctional institution information of a socio-demographic, industrial,
social, legal, socio-role character as well as moral and psychological characteristics of
the personality are of primary interest.
The study of these properties allows employees of preliminary investigation bodies
and operative officers to put forward the most optimal versions, to search for traces and
instruments of crime, to plan the process of its investigation as well as to select certain
techniques, combinations in the course of individual investigative actions, operational
search measures, etc. Thus they contribute to high-quality and timely crime detection and
Keywords: personality traits of the offender; convict; correctional institution; crime; grievous bodily injury; crime investigation; crime detection
Lecturer of the Department of Criminal Procedure, Criminalistics and Investigation of the Law Faculty of the Vologda Institute of Law and Economics of the Federal Penal Service of Russia.
, e-mail olegD4105@mail.ru
1. Anfinogenov V. A. Subkul’tura osuzhdennyh i ee vliyanie na ih povedenie v usloviyah izolyacii. Diss. kand. yurid. nauk
[Subculture of convicts and its influence on their behavior in isolation. Diss. PhD. in Law]. Saratov, 2016. 215 p. (In Russ.).
2. Barabanov N. P. Kriminologicheskaya i psihologicheskaya harakteristika kriminal’noj subkul’tury osuzhdennyh [Criminological and psychological characteristics of the criminal subculture of convicts]. CHelovek: prestuplenie i nakazanie – Man:
crime and punishment, 2017, vol. 25, no. 2, pp. 28–36. (In Russ.).
3. Vedernikov N. T. Lichnost’ prestupnika kak element kriminalisticheskoj harakteristiki [The identity of the offender as an
element of the forensic characteristics]. Sbornik nauchnyh trudov “Kriminalisticheskaya harakteristika prestuplenij” [Collection of scientific works “Forensic characteristics of crimes”]. Moscow, 1984, pp. 74–77. (In Russ.).
4. Gavlo V. K. Teoreticheskie problemy i praktika primeneniya metodiki rassledovaniya otdel’nyh vidov prestuplenij [Theoretical problems and the practice of applying methods of investigation of certain types of crimes]. Tomsk, 1985. 197 p. (In
5. Glazyrin F. V. Izuchenie lichnosti obvinyaemogo i taktika sledstvennyh dejstvij [Study of the identity of the accused and
tactics of investigative actions]. Sverdlovsk, 1973. 156 p. (In Russ.).
6. ZHvankov V. A. CHelovek kak nositel’ kriminalisticheski znachimoj informacii [Man as a carrier of forensic information].
Moscow, 1993. 35 p. (In Russ.).
7. Obrazcov V. A. (red.) Kriminalistika [Forensics]. Moscow, 1995. 592 p. (In Russ.).
8. Malyhina N. I. Klassifikacii svojstv i sostoyanij lica, sovershivshego prestuplenie, i formy ih otrazheniya v okruzhayushchej
dejstvitel’nosti [Classifications of the properties and conditions of the person who committed the crime, and the forms of their reflection in the surrounding reality]. Aktual’nye problemy rossijskogo prava – Actual problems of Russian law, 2008,
no. 4 (9), pp. 297–302. (In Russ.).
9. Osnovnye pokazateli deyatel’nosti ugolovno-ispolnitel’noj sistemy Rossijskoj Federacii (yanvar’–dekabr’ 2018 gg.) [Key
performance indicators of the penal system of the Russian Federation (January–December 2018)]. Tver, 2019. 328 p. (In
10. SHuruhnov N. G. Kriminalistika [Forensics]. Moscow, 2008. 720 p. (In Russ.).