Prejudice against Psychology as a Factor in Increasing Extremity of the Service and Maladaptation of Penal System Employees
Suslov Yu.E., Kulakova S.V. Prejudice against psychology as a factor in increasing extremity of the service and maladaptation of penal system employees. Penitentiary Science, 2023, vol. 17, no. 1 (61), pp. 98–104. doi: 10.46741/2686-9764.2023.61.1.011
In the article, the authors consider the problem of prejudice against psychology and its creative possibilities on the part of the staff of penitentiary institutions. Purpose: based on the generalization of theoretical materials and analysis of the practice of activity in penitentiary institutions to show that in conditions of constant impact of quantitative and qualitative factors of penitentiary activity on the personality of employees, they should be ready for aggressive actions of inmates. Without professional psychological assistance, employees’ adaptation process and behavior in extreme situations can be affected and risks of developing professional destructions can be created. Results: the attitude to uncertainty is considered by the authors as a personality trait underlying adaptation processes and processes to perceive extreme conditions of work. Having considered specific professional activity of penitentiary system employees, the authors show how the problem of prejudice against psychology increases extremity of service and what subsequent negative consequences can be, in particular in the adaptation period. Conclusions: the similarity of the processes of adapting to service activities and extreme conditions is shown, and the emphasis is also placed on the need to work with prejudice against psychological support of employees’ activities.
Keywords: Adaptation; readiness; penal system; extremity; extreme situations; psychological support; attitude to uncertainty
2. Lukovitskaya E.G. Sotsial’nopsikhologicheskoe znachenie tolerant-nosti k neopredelennosti: avtoref. dis. ... kand. psikhol. nauk [Socio-psychological significance of tolerance to uncertainty: Candidate of Sciences (Psychology) dissertation]. Saint Petersburg, 1998. 18 p.
3. Baranovskii N.N., Demin V.M., Sobolev N.G. Professional’naya adaptatsiya molodykh sotrudnikov, prinyatykh na sluzhbu v UIS: metod. rekomendatsii [Professional adaptation of young employees employed in the UIS: methodological recommendations]. Tver, 2007. 48 p.
4. Yurina O.I., Kaplina S.V. Conditions of success adaptation of young employees to performance in Federal penal system. Uchenye zapiski universiteta Lesgafta = Scientific Notes of Lesgaft University, 2020, no. 2 (180), pp. 541–544. (In Russ.).
5. Brief description of the state of crime in the Russian Federation for January–December 2022. Available at: https://mvd.rf/reports/item/35396677/ (In Russ.). (Accessed May 31, 2022).
6. Brief description of the criminal executive system of the Russian Federation of the year. Available at: https://fsin.gov.ru/structure/inspector/iao/statistika/Kratkaya%20harka%20UIS// (In Russ.). (Accessed February 7, 2023).
7. Pervozvanskii V.B. Structure of the prison population as the system distraction factor. Vedomosti ugolovnoispolnitel’noi sistemy = Vedomosti of the Penal System, 2015, no. 9 (160), pp. 19–23. (In Russ.).
8. Suslov Yu.E., Kulakova S.V., Makarenko T.D. et al. Criminological characteristics of minors in penitentiary institutions according to the 2019 census. Vserossiiskii kriminologicheskii zhurnal = Russian Journal of Criminology, 2020, vol. 14, no. 2, pp. 290–297. (In Russ.).
9. Harvey J. Perceived physical health, psychological distress, and social support among prison officers. The Prison Journal, 2014, vol. 94, no. 2, pp. 242–259.
10. Shamporova O.V. Psychological support of convicts with disabilities in a correctional facility. Vedomosti ugolovnoispolnitel’noi sistemy = Vedomosti of the Penal System, 2020, no. 2 (213), pp. 52–57. (In Russ.).
11. Bovin B.G., Moskvitina M.M. Quantitative and qualitative changes in the composition of convicts at the present stage of development of the criminal justice system. Prikladnaya yuridicheskaya psikhologiya = Applied Legal Psychology, 2015, no. 1, pp. 154–163. (In Russ.).
12. Vasil’ev V.A. Actual problems in the sphere of the use of snipers in the conduct of a special operation for the release of persons taken hostage at the facilities of the Criminal code. Agrarnoe i zemel’noe pravo = Agrarian and Land Law, 2020, no. 11 (191), pp. 142–144. (In Russ.).
13. Kiselev A.M. On the issue of the organization within the framework of service training of the adaptation of employees of the UIS to actions in extreme situations. In: Prestuplenie, nakazanie, ispravlenie (k 20letiyu Konstitutsii Rossiiskoi Federatsii): sb. tez. vystuplenii uchastnikov mezhdunar. penitentsiar. foruma (g. Ryazan’) [Crime, punishment, correction
(to the 20th anniversary of the Constitution of the Russian Federation): collection of theses of speeches of participants of the International penitentiary forum (Ryazan)]. Ryazan, 2013. Рp. 136–139. (In Russ.).
14. Kornilova T.V. The principle of uncertainty in psychology of choice and risk. Psikhologicheskie issledovaniya = Psychological Studies, 2015, vol. 8, no. 40, pp. 3–8. (In Russ.).
15. Kagan A.R., Levi L. Health and environment – psychological stimuli: a review. Society, Science and Medicine, 1974, vol. 8, no. 5, pp. 225–241.
16. Suslov Yu.E., Novikov A.V., Kulakova S.V. Prejudices of the staff of the penal system against psychological activities. Voprosy rossiiskogo i mezhdunarodnogo prava = Matters of Russian and International Law, 2018, vol. 8, no. 7A, pp. 166–173. (In Russ.).
17. Kulakova S.V., Tsvetkova N.A. Problems of functioning and prospects of development of the Institute of mentoring in the executive system of the Russian Federation. In: Teoreticheskie i prakticheskie aspekty organizatsii professional’nogo soprovozhdeniya sotrudnikov UIS: sb. tr. konf. [Theoretical and practical aspects of the organization of professional support of UIS employees: collected works]. Tver, 2021, pp. 17–23. (In Russ.).
18. Tsvetkova N.A., Kulakova S.V. Study of stress tolerance and resilience of employees of penal system. Psikhologiya i pravo = Psychology and Law, 2019, vol. 9, no. 2, pp. 112–129. (In Russ.).
19. Samygin S.I. Do we need psychologists in modern Russia? Gumanitarnye, sotsial’noekonomicheskie i obshchestvennye nauki = Humanities, Social-Economic and Social Sciences, 2014, no. 122, pp. 226–231. (in Russ.).
20. Allport G.W. The nature of prejudice. Cambridge, 1994. 121 p.
21. Shcherbakov G.V., Molostov A.V. Psychological support for the formation of a personnel reserve in the territorial bodies of the Federal Penitentiary Service of Russia at the present stage of the penal system development. Vedomosti ugolovnoispolnitel’noi sistemy = Vedomosti of the Penal System, 2011, no. 8 (11), pp. 5–8. (In Russ.).
22. Trukhanovich D.S. Adaptation of civil service personnel: organizational and legal analysis. Gosudarstvennaya sluzhba = State Service, 2021, no. 232 (130), pp. 28–33. (In Russ.).
23. Hartley D.J., Davila M.A., Marquart J.W. et al. Fear is a disease: the impact of fear and exposure to infectious disease on correctional officer job stress and satisfaction. American Journal of Criminal Justice, 2013, vol. 38, no. 2, pp. 323–340.
24. Sleptsova E.V., Saprunova D. S. Features of person adaptation in the state service system. Ekonomika i biznes: teoriya i praktika = Economy and Business: Theory and Practice, 2019, no. 8, pp. 151–154. (In Russ.).
25. Tschiedel R.M., Monteiro J.K. Prazer e sofrimento no trabalho das agentes de segurançapenitenciária. Estudos de Psicologia (Natal), 2013. Vol. 18, no. 3. Рp. 527–535.