Enhancing the Penal Legislation in Modern Conditions: Key Factors and Directions
Seliverstov V.I. Enhancing the penal legislation in modern conditions: key factors and directions. Penitentiary Science, 2023, vol. 17, no. 1 (61), pp. 19–29. doi: 10.46741/2686-9764.2023.61.1.003
The modern Russian reality has changed correlation between the factors determining the penal legislation improvement. In the period from the adoption of the Penal Code of the Russian Federation until the beginning of 2022, this process was carried out under the priority influence of foreign policy factors, consisting in the need to maintain interstate cooperation at the proper level and comply with international, primarily European standards for the treatment of convicts. The termination of Russia’s membership in the Council of Europe has led to the leveling of the influence of international standards for treating convicts on the penal legislation. With the weakening of the foreign policy factor in modern conditions, the importance of economic factors that hinder full-scale codification of the penal legislation and adoption of the new Penal Code of the Russian Federation increases. The purpose of this article is to determine relevant directions for the penal legislation enhancement in modern conditions in Russia. Methods: a factual analysis helps consider political, economic, social and spiritual conditions or factors prevailing in the state and society. Conclusions: taking into account the changed influence of various factors, the author contemplates directions for improving the penal legislation, including regulation of public relations related to the adopted Probation law in the Russian Federation, convicts’ fulfillment of the constitutional duty to protect the Fatherland, establishment of additional guarantees for protecting the rights and legitimate interests of convicts. The task of eliminating gaps, contradictions and errors in the penal legislation is also discussed.
Keywords: Convict; codification; factors; penal legislation; international standards; guarantees of the rights of convicts; probation; lawyer; visits to institutions and bodies executing sentences; participation of convicts in the special military operation
2. Grushin F.V. Vliyanie sistemy faktorov na razvitie ugolovno-ispolnitel’noi politiki i ugolovno-ispolnitel’nogo zakonodatel’stva Rossiiskoi Federatsii: monogr. [Influence of the system of factors on the development of penal policy and penal legislation of the Russian Federation: monograph]. Ed. by Seliverstov V.I. Moscow, 2017. 208 p.
3. Ugolovno-ispolnitel’noe pravo Rossii: teoriya, zakonodatel’stvo, mezhdunarodnye standarty, otechestvennaya praktika kontsa 19 – nachala 21 veka : ucheb. dlya vuzov [Penal law of Russia: theory, legislation, international standards, domestic practice of the late 19th – early 21st century: textbook for universities]. Ed. by Zubkov A.I. Moscow, 2006. 720 p.
4. Natashev A.E. The main factors of the development of correctional labor legislation. K novoi zhizni = To a New Life, 1972, no. 4, pp. 35–41. (In Russ.).
5. Grushin F.V. Sistema faktorov, opredelyayushchikh razvitie ugolovno-ispolnitel’noi politiki i ugolovno-ispolnitel’nogo zakonodatel’stva: dis. … d-ra yurid. nauk [System of factors determining development of penal policy and penal legislation: Doctor of Sciences (Law) dissertation]. Ekaterinburg, 2019. 652 p.
6. Utkin V.A. Ugolovno-ispolnitel’noe pravo: ucheb.-metod. kompleks [Penal law: educational and methodological complex]. Tomsk, 2015. 120 p.
7. Grushin F.V., Seliverstov V.I. Penal policy. In: Maksimov S.V., Shul’ts V.L. (Eds.). Ugolovnaya politika Rossiiskoi Federatsii: problemy i perspektivy: monogr. [Criminal policy of the Russian Federation: problems and prospects: monograph]. Moscow, 2021. Pp. 717–741. (In Russ.).
8. On the launch of the procedure for withdrawal from the Council of Europe: Statement of the Ministry of Foreign Affairs of the Russian Federation of March 15, 2022. Available at: https://www.mid.ru/ru/foreign_policy/news/1804379/?ysclid=lee02rb88t76885926 (In Russ.). (Accessed November 22, 2022).
9. Seliverstov V.I. The concept for developing the General Part of the new Penal Code of the Russian Federation. In: Seliverstov V.I. (Ed.). Obshchaya chast’ novogo Ugolovno-ispolnitel’nogo kodeksa Rossiiskoi Federatsii: itogi i obosnovaniya teoreticheskogo modelirovaniya [The General Part of the new Penal Code of the Russian Federation: results and conditions of theoretical modeling]. Moscow, 2017. Pp. 20–36. (In Russ.).
10. Shchedrin N.V. On the issue of coordinated preparation of new criminal and penal codes: “a horse ahead of a cart or a cart ahead of a horse”. In: Seliverstov V.I. (Ed.). Obshchaya chast’ novogo Ugolovno-ispolnitel’nogo kodeksa Rossiiskoi Federatsii: itogi i obosnovaniya teoreticheskogo modelirovaniya [The General Part of the new Penal Code of the Russian Federation: results and conditions of theoretical modeling]. Moscow, 2017. Pp. 279–298. (In Russ.).
11. Grushin F.V. New Penal Code of the Russian Federation: subject of legal regulation and structure. Ugolovnaya yustitsiya = Russian Journal of Criminal Law, 2019, no. 14, pp. 82–85. (In Russ.).
12. Golovastova Yu.A. Prospects and main directions of the codification of the criminal-executive legislation. Zhurnal rossiiskogo prava = Journal of Russian Law, 2019, no. 5, pp. 107–118. (In Russ.).
13. Golovastova Yu.A. Ugolovno-ispolnitel’noe pravo kak otrasl’ ros-siiskogo prava: predmet, metod, istochniki i sistema: monogr. [Penal law as a branch of Russian law: subject, method, sources and system: monograph]. Ed. by Seliverstov V.I. Moscow, 2019. 560 p. (In Russ.).
14. Seliverstov V.I. Convicted as a subject of state management. In: Ugolovnoe pravo kak sredstvo upravleniya obshchestvom: materialy vseros. nauch.-prakt. konf. (Moskva, 17 marta 2022 g.). Ch. 2. [Criminal law as a means of managing society: proceedings of the All-Russian scientific and practical conference (Moscow, March 17, 2022). Part 2]. Moscow, 2022. Pp. 97–106. (In Russ.).
15. Zhukova A. Is it necessary to attract prisoners to participate in the special military operation? Available at: https://www.gazetametro.ru/articles/spornyj-vopros-nado-li-privlekat-zakljuchennyh-dlja-uchastija-v-svo-03-10-2022 (In Russ.). (Accessed November 22, 2022).
16. Obshchaya chast’ novogo Ugolovno-ispolnitel’nogo kodeksa Rossiiskoi Federatsii: itogi i obosnovaniya teoreticheskogo modelirovaniya [The General Part of the new Penal Code of the Russian Federation: results and justifications of theoretical modeling]. Ed. by Seliverstov V.I. Moscow, 2017. 328 p.
17. Khramov A.A. Probely v ugolovno-ispolnitel’nom zakonodatel’stve Rossii: dis. … kand. yurid. nauk [Gaps in the penal legislation of Russia: Candidate of Sciences dissertation]. Ryazan, 2022. 230 p.