Introduction: the article describes features of meaningfulness of life of convicts serving long-term sentences in places of deprivation of liberty. An attitude to life should be considered as a universal subjective formation that ensures selforganization of human activity in the process of their life. Purpose: to determine features of meaningfulness of life of convicts serving long-term sentences, give recommendations on correctional and educational work with this category of offenders. Methods: theoretical analysis of literature; methods of synthesis and generalization; life orientations test by D.A. Leont’ev. Results: convicts who have been in social isolation for more than 10 years demonstrate a lower interest in life and less emotional intensity and lack life aspirations and goals; the time perspective is not indicated. They perceive life as uninteresting and insufficiently filled with meaning. At the same time, the time passed is not fully comprehended, they cannot realize themselves, they are dissatisfied with their life and do not feel that they can manage it. The revealed features of meaningfulness of life of convicts serving long-term sentences supplement characteristics of persons in this category and this should be taken into account when organizing correctional and educational work with them in places of deprivation of liberty. Conclusions: when determining the direction of correctional and educational work with convicts of this category, it is important to take into account the specifics of their attitude to life and direct them to correction, preventing aggression in their behavior. At the same time, it is important for convicts to realize their guilt, focus on their own spiritual and moral problems, and develop a desire to compensate for the harm they have caused. To do this, it is necessary to establish cooperation with convicts based on the in-depth study of life, personality and needs.
Keywords: Places of deprivation of liberty; correctional process; convicts; long-term sentences; sense of purpose; correctional and educational work
Doctor of Sciences (Pedagogy), Professor, Corresponding Member of the International Academy of Sciences of Pedagogical Education, professor of the Department of Legal Psychology and Pedagogy of the Faculty of Psychology of the Vologda Institute of Law and Economics of the Federal Penitentiary Service of Russia, Vologda, Russia, Leading Researcher of the Research Institute of the Federal Penitentiary Service of Russia, Moscow, Russia
, e-mail email@example.com
Candidate of Sciences (Psychology), Associate Professor, Senior Researcher at the Research Institute of the Federal Penitentiary Service of Russia, Moscow, Russia
, e-mail firstname.lastname@example.org
1. Abdulgalimova S.A. The concept of the meaning of life and the meaning of life paradigms. Vestnik Sotsial’no-pedagogicheskogo instituta=Bulletin of the Socio-Pedagogical Institute, 2011, no. 2, pp. 83–92. (In Russ.).
2. Abul’khanova-Slavskaya K.A. Psikhologiya i soznanie lichnosti (Problemy metodologii, teorii i issledovaniya real’noi lichnosti): izbrannye psikhologicheskie trudy [Psychology and consciousness of personality (Problems of methodology, theory and research of real personality): selected psychological works]. Moscow: Moskovskii psikhologo-sotsial’nyi institut. Voronezh: MODEK, 1999. 224 p. ISBN 5-89502-067-4.
3. Adler A. Individual’naya psikhologiya [Individual psychology]. Saint Petersburg: Piter, 2017. 165 p. ISBN 978-5-88230-458-3.
4. Il’ina I.S. Specificity of the concepts of attitude to life and death, to health and illness in studies of persons who had experience of suicidal attempts. Lichnost’ v ekstremal’nykh
usloviyakh i krizisnykh situatsiyakh zhiznedeyatel’nosti=Personality in Extreme Conditions and Crisis Situations of Life, 2011, no. 1, pp. 339–343. (In Russ.).
5. Zautorova E. V. Osobennosti agressivnogo povedeniya osuzhdennykh, otbyvayushchikh nakazanie v ispravitel’noi kolonii strogogo rezhima: monografiya [Features of aggressive behavior of convicts serving sentences in the correctional facility of strict regime: monograph]. Moscow: NII FSIN Rossii, 2020. 120 p. ISBN 978-5-6042382-3-3.
6. Zautorova E.V., Kevlya F.I. Prevention of illegal behavior of convicts in places of deprivation of liberty. Vestnik Ufimskogo yuridicheskogo instituta MVD Rossii=Bulletin of Ufa Law
Institute of the Ministry of Internal Affairs of Russia, 2021, no. 2 (92), pp. 188–194. (In Russ.).
7. Zobkov V.A. Personality’s attitude to the life activity. Ekonomika obrazovaniya=Economics of Education, 2015, no. 2, pp. 91–94. (In Russ.).
8. Brief description of the penal system. Federal’naya sluzhba ispolneniya nakazanii: ofitsial’nyi sait [Federal Penitentiary Service of the Russian Federation: official website]. Available at: https://fsin.gov.ru/structure/inspector/iao/statistika/Kratkaya%20harka%20UIS/ (In Russ.). (Accessed February 3, 2022).
9. Leont’ev D.A. Test of life-meaning orientations (the LMO method). Psikhologiya schastlivoi zhizni: sait psikhologicheskoi pomoshchi [Psychology of a happy life: psychological help website]. Available at: https://psycabi.net/testy/256-test-smyslozhiznennye-orientatsii-metodika-szho-d-a-leontev (In Russ.). (Accessed February 3, 2022).
10. Maslow A. Motivatsiya i lichnost’ [Motivation and personality]. Saint Petersburg: Piter, 2011. 351 p. ISBN 978-5-459-00494-7.
11. Myasishchev V.N. Psikhologiya otnoshenii [Psychology of relations]. Moscow: MPSI, 2011. 398 p. ISBN 978-5-89502-790-5.
12. Nedlyakova I.M. Individual features of the convict’s personality (results of a psychological research). Penitentsiarnaya nauka=Penitentiary Science, 2021, no. 2 (54), pp. 321–327. (In Russ.).
13. Rubinshtein S.L. Bytie i soznanie [Being and consciousness]. Saint Petersburg: Piter, 2017. 287 p. ISBN 978-5-496-02943-8.
14. Frankl V. Chelovek v poiskakh smysla: sbornik [Man in search of meaning: collection]. Ed. by L.Ya. Gozman, D.A. Leont’ev. Moscow: Progress, 1990. 366 p. ISBN 5-01-001606-0.
15. Yung C.G. Arkhetipy i kollektivnoe bessoznatel’noe [Archetypes and the Collective Unconscious]. Moscow: AST, 2019. 224 p. ISBN 978-5-17-117179-7.
16. Buss A.H. Physical aggression in relation to different frustrations. Journal of Abnormal and Social Psychology, 1963, vol. 67, pp. 1–7. (In Russ.).
17. Kohlberg L. Essays on moral development. Volume 2: the psychology of moral development. San-Francisco: Harper & Row, 1984. 580 p.
18. Moscovici S. The phenomenon of social representations. In: Fair R., Moscovici S. (Eds.). Social representations. Cambridge: Cambridge University Press, 1984. Pp. 3–69.
19. Rath T., Harter J. Wellbeing: the five essential elements. New York: Gallup Press, 2010. 229 p.
20. Zaleski Z., Chlewinski Z., Lens W. Importance of and optimism- pessimism in predicting solution to world problems: an intercultural study. In: Zaleski Z. (Ed.). Psychology of
Future Orientation. Lublin: Towarzystwo Naukowe KUL, 1994, Pp. 207–228.