Introduction: recently, development of the Russian penal system is based on the conceptual provisions enshrined in legal documents that are the result of strategic planning. The conceptual provisions are being developed in order to achieve the desired state of the penal system in the future and represent a system of views aimed at improving activities of its institutions and bodies. Planning documents set up the final result, as well as priority development directions, as a rule, for a ten-year period according to the national legislation with regard to international norms and standards. Purpose: to conduct a comparative analysis of individual conceptual provisions in the terminated and newly adopted planning document aimed at improving the management system; taking into account results of the study, unresolved issues identified during implementation of the conceptual provisions, and positions of scientists and practitioners, to formulate theoretical and practical recommendations for the developers of a new legal document focused on developing the entire system of penal institutions and bodies. Methods: the methodological basis of the study is made up of general scientific methods, such as generalization, analysis, synthesis, deduction and induction, a system-structural method of comparison, as well as private scientific means of analyzing normative documents. Conclusions: the conceptual documents introduced in recent decades reflecting the leading ideas to optimize activities of the penal system and the chosen direction to execute criminal penalties predetermined the vector of its development. Moreover, the considered system of views has had a significant positive impact on the functioning of the institutions and bodies executing criminal punishment, as well as law enforcement practice. Results: the authors have identified unresolved problematic and debatable aspects of conceptual documents related to the implementation of departmental provisions, the form, methods and subjects that put into effect the legal acts under study. Based on the results of the analysis, the researchers made a theoretical conclusion and proposed doctrinal and practical recommendations that can form the basis for working out a new conceptual document occupying a higher position in the hierarchy of legal acts aimed at developing the entire system of institutions and bodies executing punishments.
Keywords: Document; planning; form; method; concept; system
Candidate of Sciences (Law), Associate Professor, Head of the Department of Criminal Law Disciplines of the Vladimir State University Named After Alexander and Nikolay Stoletovs, Vladimir, Russia
, e-mail firstname.lastname@example.org
Candidate of Sciences (Law), Associate Professor, associate professor at the Department of Constitutional and Municipal Law of the Vladimir Branch of the Russian Presidential Academy of National Economy and Public Administration, Vladimir, Russia
, e-mail email@example.com
1. Antipov A.N. The Concept of the development of the penal system of the Russian Federation till 2030: the project drafting methodology. Ugolovno-ispolnitel’naya sistema:
pravo, ekonomika, upravlenie=Criminal-Executory System: Law, Economy, Management, 2020, no. 2, pp. 15–17. (In Russ.).
2. Erkina T.N. Concept of the development of the penal system of the Russian Federation up to 2020: goal, main development directions, current state. Sovremennoe obshchestvo i vlast’=Modern Society and Government, 2016, no. 4 (10), pp. 132–135. (In Russ.).
3. Zakarzhevskii N.N. Concept of the development of the penal system for the period up to 2030: on some issues of detention of persons sentenced to imprisonment. In:
Nauchnoe nasledie irkutskikh uchenykh ugolovno-pravovoi nauki: materialy natsional’noi nauchno-issledovatel’skoi konferentsii, posvyashchennoi 90-letiyu so dnya rozhdeniya zasluzhennogo yurista Rossiiskoi Federatsii, doktora yuridicheskikh nauk, professora G.S. Gaverova i doktora yuridicheskikh nauk, professora V.Ya. Rybal’skoi [Scientific heritage of Irkutsk scientists of criminal law science: materials of the national research conference dedicated to the 90th anniversary of the birth of the Honored Lawyer of the Russian Federation, Doctor of Sciences (Law), Professor G.S. Gaverov and Doctor of Sciences Law, Professor V.Ya. Rybalskaya]. Irkutsk: Baikal’skii gosudarstvennyi universitet, 2021. Pp. 29–31. (In Russ.).
4. Ivanova M.N. The problem of selecting target indicators when forming expected results of the Concept of development of the penal system of the Russian Federation up to 2030. In: Prestuplenie, nakazanie, ispravlenie: sbornik tezisov vystuplenii i dokladov uchastnikov 4 mezhdunarodnogo penitentsiarnogo foruma: (k 140-letiyu ugolovnoispolnitel’noi sistemy Rossii i 85-letiyu Akademii FSIN Rossii): v 10 tomakh. Tom 2 [Crime, punishment, correction: collection of abstracts of speeches and reports of participants of the 4th International penitentiary forum: (to the 140th anniversary of the penal system of Russia and the 85th anniversary of the Academy of the Federal Penitentiary Service of Russia): in 10 volumes. Tom 2]. Ryazan: Akademiya prava i upravleniya Federal’noi sluzhby ispolneniya nakazanii, 2019. Pp. 84–87. (In Russ.).
5. Kvashis V.E. About a new concept for the development of the penal system. Obshchestvo i pravo=Society and Law, 2021, no. 2 (76), pp. 8–12. (In Russ.).
6. Malinin V.B. Critical remarks on the implementation of the concept of the development of the penal system of the Russian Federation. In: Luchshaya nauchno-issledovatel’skaya rabota 2017: sbornik statei pobeditelei 6 mezhdunarodnogo nauchno-prakticheskogo konkursa [The best research work of 2017: collection of articles by the winners of the 6th International scientific and practical contest]. Penza: Nauka i Prosveshchenie, 2017. Pp. 115–119. (In Russ.).
7. Reent Yu.A. The nature of the domestic penitentiary system transformations from 2010 to 2020 and the trends of its development for the next decade. Chelovek: prestuplenie i nakazanie=Man: Crime and Punishment, 2021, vol. 29, no. 3, pp. 314–326. (In Russ.).
8. Repin A. “The year will be difficult”: the head of the Ministry of Justice Konstantin Chuichenko – about the work of the department in the international arena and within the country. RT na russkom: sait [RT in Russian: website]. Available at: https:// russian.rt.com/russia/article/815459-minyust-chuichenko-intervyu (In Russ.). (Accessed May 20, 2022).
9. Seliverstov V.I. On the future concept of the development of the penal policy of the Russian Federation in the light of the views of Professor A. I. Zubkov. In: Organizatsionnopravovoe obespechenie deyatel’nosti uchrezhdenii i organov FSIN Rossii: problemy i perspektivy razvitiya: materialy mezhvuzovskoi nauchnoi prakticheskoi konferentsii posvyashchennoi pamyati zasluzhennogo deyatelya nauki RSFSR, doktora yuridicheskikh nauk, professora A. I. Zubkova, Dnyu rossiiskoi nauki, 140-letiyu UIS i 85-letiyu Akademii FSIN Rossii [Organizational and legal support of the activities of institutions and bodies of the Federal Penitentiary Service of Russia: problems and prospects of development: proceedings of the interuniversity scientific practical conference dedicated to the memory of the Honored Scientist of the RSFSR, Doctor of Sciences (Law), Professor A.I. Zubkov, the Day of Russian Science, the 140th anniversary of the UIS and the 85th anniversary of the Academy of the Federal Penitentiary Service of Russia]. Ryazan: Akademiya FSIN Rossii, 2019. Pp. 259–266. (In Russ.).
10. Seliverstov V.I. On the directions of changing conceptual provisions of the penal policy of the Russian Federation. In: Penitentsiarnaya bezopasnost’: natsional’nye traditsii i zarubezhnyi opyt: materialy vserossiiskoi nauchnoi prakticheskoi konferentsii. V 2 chastyakh. Chast’ 1 [Penitentiary security: national traditions and foreign experience: materials of the All-Russian scientific practical conference. In 2 parts. Part 1]. In: Samara: Samarskii yuridicheskii institut FSIN Rossii, 2019. Pp. 200–203. (In Russ.).
11. Teplyashin P.V. Concept of the development of the Russian penitentiary system in light of interpreted principles of European penitentiary practice. Vestnik Sankt-Peterburgskogo universiteta. Pravo= Vestnik of Saint Petersburg University. Law, 2020, vol. 11, no. 1, pp. 129–139. (In Russ.).
12. Useev R.Z. Fundamentals of the concept of the establishment of a unified penal system (hypothesis): spatial development, legislation, enforcement. Vestnik Samarskogo yuridicheskogo instituta=Bulletin of the Samara Law Institute, 2021, no. 4 (45), pp. 71–78. (In Russ.).
13. Useev R.Z. Draft concept for the development of the penal system until 2030: issues of form, content and comparison with the concept for the development of the penal system until 2020. Vestnik Samarskogo yuridicheskogo instituta=Bulletin of the Samara Law Institute, 2020, no. 2 (38), pp. 77–86. (In Russ.).
14. Utkin V.A. The penitentiary system modernization concept as a doctrinal political and legal act. Vestnik Tomskogo gosudarstvennogo universiteta=Tomsk State University Journal, 2018, no. 431, pp. 210–214. (In Russ.). doi: 10.17223/15617793/431/29.
15. Mirić F. Criminogenic influence of penitentiary institutions. Facta universitatis. Series: Law and Politics, 2017, vol. 15, no. 1, pp. 37–44. Available at: https://www.academia. edu/37489417/CRIMINOGENIC_INFLUENCE_OF_PENITENTIARY_INSTITUTIONS (accessed May 27, 2022). doi: 10.22190/FULP1701037M.
16. Salaev N.S. Paradigm of forming a liberal penitentiary system – origins, trends and prospects. Review of Law Sciences, 2020, no. 1, pp. 151–162. Available at: https://www.researchgate.net/publication/347913810_PARADIGM_OF_FORMING_A_LIBERAL_PENITENTIARY_SYSTEM_-ORIGINS_TRENDS_AND_PROSPECTS (accessed May 20, 2022). doi: 10.34920/rls.1.2020.151-162.