Introduction: deprivation of liberty in the domestic criminal and penal law is the most severe form of punishment for persons who have committed crimes. Institutions of the Federal Penitentiary Service face the task to correct convicts. Formation of law-abiding behavior and respect for generally recognized norms and rules of human community in convicts, restoration and maintenance of social ties is impossible without implementation of state policy aimed at ensuring the rights and legitimate interests of citizens, including in places of forced detention. Pre-trial detention centers perform functions of a correctional institution in relation to a number of convicts. The special mode of functioning of pre-trial detention centers imposes certain difficulties on the process of serving and executing sentences. The article considers factors affecting the security of convicts serving sentences in pre-trial detention facilities of the penal system. Purpose: to study various theoretical approaches to classifying factors and their impact on the process of execution and serving of punishment, as well as identify key threats to convicts’ vital interests. Methods: the methodological basis of this study is a set of methods of scientific cognition, among which the main place is occupied by questionnaires and statistical analysis. Results: based on the analysis carried out, the author makes a conclusion about crucial factors affecting safe conditions of serving sentences by convicts of the economic maintenance unit of pre-trial detention centers of the penal system. Conclusions: the author emphasizes the need for constant state control over the penal policy implementation in the field of ensuring safety of persons deprived of liberty, as well as continuation of scientific and law enforcement activities to protect the vital interests of those sentenced to imprisonment.
Keywords: Safety factors; convicts’ safety; serving of sentence; sociopsychological climate
Postgraduate Student of the Kazan (Volga Region) Federal University, Kazan, Russia
, e-mail GolubcovVA@mail.ru
1. Gromov M.A. Organizatsiya bezopasnosti v ispravitel’nykh uchrezhdeniyakh: uchebnoe posobie [Organization of security in correctional institutions: textbook]. Ryazan: Akademiya prava i upravleniya Minyusta Rossii, 2004. 252 p.
2. Golubtsova A.I. Features of the socio-psychological climate among convicts serving sentences in the maintenance units in the pre-trial detention centers of the Russian penitentiary system (on the example of pre-trial detention centers of the Main Directorate of the Federal Penitentiary Service of Russia in the Perm Region).Vestnik Permskogo instituta Federal’noi sluzhby ispolneniya nakazanii=Journal of the Perm Institute of the FPS of Russia, 2022, no. 1 (44), pp. 30–42. (In Russ.).
3. Zhuravlev A.N. Classification of factors complicating the operational situation in a correctional institution. Ugolovno-ispolnitel’noe parvo=Penal Law, 2006, no. 1, pp. 88–89. (In Russ.).
4. Zvyagina A.V. Labor adaptation of convicts as one of the factors of ensuring economic security of the penitentiary system. In: IV Mezhdunarodnyi penitentsiarnyi forum “Prestuplenie, nakazanie, ispravlenie”: sbornik tezisov vystuplenii i dokladov uchastnikov: v 10 tomakh. Tom 9 [IV International Penitentiary Forum “Crime, punishment, correction”: collection of abstracts of speeches and reports of participants: in 10 volumes. Volume 9]. Ryazan: Akademiya FSIN Rossii, 2019. Pp. 80–83. (In Russ.). ISBN 978-5-7743-0937-5.
5. Kazak B.B., Shcherbakov A.V. Certain threats and factors influencing the security of the penal enforcement system. In: IV Mezhdunarodnyi penitentsiarnyi forum “Prestuplenie, nakazanie, ispravlenie”: sbornik tezisov vystuplenii i dokladov uchastnikov: v 10 tomakh. Tom 9 [IV International Penitentiary Forum “Crime, punishment, correction”: collection of abstracts of speeches and reports of participants: in 10 volumes. Volume 9]. Ryazan:
Akademiya FSIN Rossii, 2019. Pp. 295–300. (In Russ.). ISBN 978-5-7743-0937-5.
6. Korsakov K.V., Zhilko I.A. Criminological characteristics of the convicted who work detention facilities upkeeping service. Kriminologicheskii zhurnal Baikal’skogo gosudarstvennogo universiteta ekonomiki i prava=Criminology Journal of Baikal National University of Economics and Law, 2013, no. 3, pp. 72–79. (In Russ.).
7. Kuz’mina N.V., Skub T.A. Factors determining security in places of deprivation of liberty. In: Bril’ G.G., Gruzdev V.V. (Eds.). Modernizatsiya rossiiskogo zakonodatel’stva v usloviyakh konstitutsionnoi reformy: sbornik trudov 17 Vserossiiskikh dekabr’skikh yuridicheskikh chtenii v Kostrome. Vserossiiskaya nauchno-prakticheskaya konferentsiya (9–10 dekabrya 2020 g., g. Kostroma) [Modernization of Russian legislation in the context of the constitutional reform: proceedings of the 17th All-Russian December legal readings in Kostroma. All-Russian Scientific and Practical Conference (December 9–10, 2020, Kostroma)]. Kostroma: KGU im. N. A. Nekrasova, 2021, pp. 322–325. (In Russ.). ISBN 978-5-8285-1141-9.
8. Kulakova S.V. Factors and mechanisms to develop the personnel readiness to ensure security in penitentiary institutions. Global’nyi nauchnyi potentsial: psikhologiya i pedagogika= Global Scientific Potential: Psychology and Pedagogy, 2018, no. 10 (91), pp. 27–28. (In Russ.).
9. Lozhkina L.V., Chugunov A.V. Safety in penitentiary institutions and factors which have a negatively effect on safety. Vestnik Udmurtskogo universiteta, seriya Ekonomika i parvo=Bulletin of Udmurt University. Series Economics and Law, 2013, no. 3, pp. 161–167. (In Russ.).
10. Martynova E.V. The factors influencing the state of personal security of prisoners in the course of detective activities. Chelovek: prestuplenie i nakazanie=Man: Crime and Punishment, 2016, no. 4, pp. 104–109. (In Russ.).
11. Panasenko E.K. Kriminologicheskaya bezopasnost’ osuzhdennykh v mestakh lisheniya svobody: avtoreferat dissertatsii na soiskanie uchenoi stepeni kandidata yuridicheskikh nauk [Criminological safety of convicts in places of deprivation of liberty: Candidate of Sciences (Law) dissertation abstract]. Ryazan: Akademiya FSIN Rossii, 2007. 29 p.
12. The Code of rules SP 247.1325800.2016 “Pre-trial detention facilities of the penal system. Design rules”. Elektronnyi fond pravovykh i normativno-tekhnicheskikh dokumentov: sait [Electronic fund of legal and regulatory documents: website]. Available at: https://docs.cntd.ru/document/1200137143?ysclid=l7ivllxosd806058710 (accessed May 25, 2022).
13. Smirnov A.M. Victimological safety of persons sentenced to imprisonment: conceptual aspects. Vserossiiskii kriminologicheskii zhurnal=All-Russian Journal of Criminology, 2020, vol. 14, no. 2, pp. 277–289. (In Russ.).
14. Sysoev A.M. Operational-regime support of the organization of counteraction to radicalization of persons sentenced to imprisonment. Vedomosti ugolovno-ispolnitel’noi sistemy=Vedomosti of the Penitentiary System, 2012, no. 4, pp. 11–21. (In Russ.).
15. Uglitskikh D.V. Factors affecting safety and means of ensuring it in correctional institutions executing life imprisonment. Vestnik Moskovskogo gosudarstvennogo oblastnogo universiteta. Seriya: yurisprudentsiya=Bulletin of the Moscow State Regional University. Series: Jurisprudence, 2007, no. 1–2, pp. 108–109. (In Russ.).
16. Useev R.Z. Obespechenie bezopasnosti ispravitel’nykh uchrezhdenii: uchebnoe posobie [Ensuring safety of correctional institutions: textbook]. Samara: Samarskii yuridicheskii institut FSIN Rossii, 2015. 135 p. ISBN 978-5-91612-100-1.
17. Shabanov V.B., Santashov A.L., Luk’yanovich A.L. Factors determining the security of convicts in detention facilities. Vestnik Sibirskogo yuridicheskogo instituta MVD Rossii=Vestnik of Siberian Law Institute of the MIA of Russia, 2017, no. 2 (27), pp. 55–60. (In Russ.).
18. Shcherbakov A.V. Theoretical and legal aspects of safety precau- tions of the penal system. Chelovek: prestuplenie i nakazanie=Man: Crime and Punishment, 2018, vol. 26, no. 2, pp. 187–192. (In Russ.).
19. Amali S.E., Sibanyoni E.K., Tshivhase T. Incarceration for reformation or deformation? International Journal of Criminology and Sociology, 2021, vol. 10, pp. 562–571.