The article analyzes the problems of motherhood and childhood in the conditions of correctional institutions of both Russia and foreign countries. The legal status of convicted women and their children is not clearly defined in the law. Convicts can not fully enjoy the right to communicate with the child, participate in its upbringing, and care for it. The conditions of correctional institutions in this area in some cases do not meet international standards. This concerns the creation of favorable conditions for the upbringing of the child, ensuring its health and the health of the mother. In most institutions there is no possibility for the convict to stay with the child, what adversely affects the woman, the physical, intellectual and moral development of children. In accordance with Part 2 of Art. 7 of the Constitution of the Russian Federation the state provides support for the family, motherhood, paternity and childhood. In Art. 38 of the Constitution of the Russian Federation states that motherhood and childhood are protected by the state. In accordance with Art. 66 of the Family Code of the Russian Federation parents who do not live with their children have the right to communicate with the child, participate in its upbringing and education. Particular attention in the article is focused on the problem of joint stay of a convicted mother with a child in prisons with the condition of breastfeeding. Based on the study of foreign experience of holding convicted women with children in prison, a number of recommendations were proposed to improve the current Russian criminal enforcement legislation and practice of its application. The results of the article can be used for further research in the field of content and resocialization of convicted women with young children in the penal institution.
Keywords: penal institutions; criminal punishment; convicted women; resocialization of convicted women; a child’s home in the penal institution.
Associate Professor of the Department of Penal Law and
Organization of Educational Work with Convicts of the Vologda Institute of Law
and Economics of the Federal Penal Service of Russia», PhD. in Law
, e-mail firstname.lastname@example.org
1. Al’pern L. Tjur’ma s chelovecheskim licom. O poseshhenii zhenskih penitenciarnyh uchrezhdenij v Pol’she [A prison
with a human face. About visiting women’s penal institutions in Poland]. Available at: http://l.index.org.ru/journal/18/18-
alpern-2.html (accessed 15.05.2017). (In Russ.).
2. Burt A. A., Davydova N. V. Ocenka jeffektivnosti sovmestnogo soderzhanija materi i rebenka v domah rebenka,
organizovannyh pri ispravitel’nyh uchrezhdenijah FSIN Rossii [Evaluation of the effectiveness of cohabitation of the mother
and the child in children’s homes organized by correctional institutions of the Federal Penal Service of Russia]. Problemy
ispolnenija nakazanija i resocializacii zhenshhin, osuzhdennyh k lisheniju svobody: sb. mezhregion. nauch.-prakt. konf.
(Vologda, 22–23 ijunja 2016 g.) – Problems of execution of punishment and resocialization of women sentenced to
imprisonment: collected interregional science-practice сonf. (Vologda, 22–23 June 2016). Vologda, 2016. Рр. 8–12. (In
3. Vetrova I. V., Vorobej S. V., Spasennikov B. A. Problemy medicinskoj ohrany materinstva i detstva v ugolovno-ispolnitel’noj
sisteme Rossii [The problems of health protection of motherhood and childhood in the Penal system of Russia]. Vestnik
instituta: prestuplenie, nakazanie, ispravlenie – Bulletin of the Institute: crime, punishment, correction. 2014. Iss. 3 (27).
Рр. 21–22. (In Russ.).
4. Vetrova I. V., Spasennikov B. A. Problemy ispolnenija nakazanija v otnoshenii zhenshhin, osuzhdennyh k lisheniju svobody
[Problems of execution of punishment of women sentenced toimprisonment]. Vestnik instituta: prestuplenie, nakazanie,
ispravlenie – Bulletin of the Institute: crime, punishment, correction. 2014. Iss. 2 (26). Рр. 22–25. (In Russ.).
5. Kratkaja harakteristika ugolovno-ispolnitel’noj sistemy [Brief description of the penal system]. Available at: http://fsin.rf/
structure/inspector/iao/statistika/Kratkaya%20har-ka%20UIS/ (accessed 19.06.2017). (In Russ.).
6. Podzigun A. V. Pravovoe regulirovanie otbyvanija nakazanija osuzhdennymi beremennymi zhenshhinami i zhenshhinami,
imejushhimi maloletnih detej, v ispravitel’nyh uchrezhdenijah na territorii Rossijskoj Federacii [Legal regulation of the
serving sentences of convicted pregnant women and women with young children in correctional institutions on the
territory of the Russian Federation]. Problemy ispolnenija nakazanija i resocializacii zhenshhin, osuzhdennyh k lisheniju
svobody : sb. mezhregion. nauch.-prakt. konf. (Vologda, 22–23 ijunja 2016 g.) – Problems of execution of punishment and
resocialization of women sentenced to imprisonment : collected interregional science-practice сonf. (Vologda, 22–23 June
2016). Vologda, 2016. Рр. 46–50. (In Russ.).
7. Stenichkin G. Social’no-pravovoe znachenie otsrochki otbyvanija nakazanija beremennym zhenshhinam i zhenshhinam,
imejushhim maloletnih detej [Social and legal significance of postponement of punishment for pregnant women and women
with young children]. Vedomosti ugolovno-ispolnitel’noj sistemy – Statements of the penal system. 2003. Iss. 4. Р. 50. (In
8. Tjur’ma i zhizn’ za reshetkoj. Tjur’ma v Kanade [Prison and life behind bars. Prison in Canada]. Available at: http://www.
tyurma.com/tyurma-za-rubezhom/tyurma-v-kanade (accessed 26.06.2017). (In Russ.).
9. Shmid M., Ogrohina E. A. Ob osobennostjah ispolnenija nakazanija v vide lishenija svobody i prinuditel’nyh mer ugolovnopravovogo haraktera v otnoshenii zhenshhin v Shvejcarii [About features of execution of punishment in the form of
imprisonment and coercive measures of criminal and legal character concerning women in Switzerland]. Vestnik instituta:
prestuplenie, nakazanie, ispravlenie – Bulletin of the Institute: crime, punishment, correction. 2015. Iss. 1 (29). Р. 87–91.
10. Justizvollzugsanstalt für Frauen in Vechta. Mutter-Kind-Haus der JVA für Frauen in Vechta [Penitentiary for women
in Vechta. Mother-child house of the JVA for women in Vechta]. Available at: http://www.jva-fuer-frauen.niedersachsen.
19.06.2017). (In Germ.).