Introduction: the article analyzes problems of falsification of historical facts and history of the Great Patriotic War. Nowadays, the international public debate is devoted to the role of the USSR, its army in World War II, their contribution to the victory over fascism, and significance of the results of the Great Patriotic War. Attempts to rewrite the history of the war, diminishing the importance of the Soviet army, are connected with the desire of certain Western countries to discredit the Russian Federation in the international arena. Russia, as the successor of the USSR, is obliged to preserve historical truth about events of the Second World War; therefore, the policy of protecting it is being carried out at the state level. In 2014, the Criminal Code of the Russian Federation introduced liability for “falsification of historical information established by the verdict of the International Military Tribunal”, but the norm is limited only to the facts established by the International Military Tribunal in Nuremberg. In this regard, the study of criminal-legal aspects of protecting historical memory is relevant from the point of view of criminal legislation development. Purpose: to substantiate the expansion of criminal liability for falsification of historical information about events of the Second World War and the Great Patriotic War. Research results: in order to consider the proposed issue, the authors conducted a sociological study to identify respondents’ opinion on establishment of criminal protection of historical memory of the events of the Second World War and determined a vector of legislative initiatives afterwards. Conclusions: the ways to protect history of the Great Patriotic War require improvement of criminal law norms providing for liability for encroachments on historical heritage of the Russian Federation, in particular, by including in the Criminal Code of the Russian Federation a new special norm capable of protecting not only the facts established by the International Military Tribunal, but also a number of others confirmed by official historical sources.
Keywords: criminal liability; World War II; Great Patriotic War; falsification of history; historical memory.
Doctor of Sciences (Law), Professor, Chief Specialist of Center for Providing Educational Work of the Federal Penitentiary Service of Russia, Moscow, Russia
, e-mail firstname.lastname@example.org
Doctor of Sciences (Law), Professor, Head of the Department for Scientific Support of Prosecutorial Supervision and Strengthening the Rule of Law in the Field of Federal Security, Interethnic Relations, Countering Extremism of the University of the Prosecutor’s Office of the Russian Federation, Moscow, Russia
, e-mail email@example.com
Doctor of Sciences (Law), professor of the Department of Legal Support of National Security of the MIREA – Russian Technological University, Moscow, Russia
ORCID 0000- 0003-1836-153
, e-mail firstname.lastname@example.org
Doctor of Sciences (Pedagogy), Candidate of Sciences (Law), Professor, Chief Researcher of the Research Institute of the Federal Penitentiary Service of Russia, Moscow, Russia
, e-mail email@example.com
Candidate of Sciences (Law), associate professor of the Department of Legal Support of National Security of the MIREA – Russian Technological University, Moscow, Russia
, e-mail firstname.lastname@example.org
Lecturer of the Department for Legal Support of National Security of the MIREA – Russian Technological University, Moscow, Russia
, e-mail email@example.com
1. Anderson B. Voobrazhaemye soobshchestva. Razmyshleniya ob istokakh i rasprostranenii natsionalizma [Imaginary communities. Reflections on the origins and spread of nationalism]. Translated from English by Nikolaev V.G. Moscow: Kanon-Press-Ts: Kuchkovo pole, 2001. 286 p. ISBN 5-93354-017-3.
2. Barg M.A. Epokhi i idei: (Stanovlenie istorizma) [Epochs and ideas: (The formation of historicism)]. Moscow: Mysl’, 1987. 354 p.
3. Bogdashkin A.A., Teplukhin V.V. The debates of political scientists on right-wing radical nationalism in contemporary Ukraine. Vlast’=Power, 2014, no. 10, pp. 214–220. Available at: https://cyberleninka.ru/article/n/politologi-opravoradikalnom-natsionalizme-v-sovremennoy-ukraine. (In Russ.). (Accessed March 16, 2022).)
4. Buslovskii V.N. The victory that no one can take away from Russia (dedicated to the 75th anniversary of the Soviet people’s Victory in the Great Patriotic War over Nazism). Voennaya mysl’=Military Thought, 2020, no. 5, pp. 77–88. (In Russ.).
5. Tel’pukhovskii B.S., Bulycheva G.I., Burlyai A.A. et al. Velikaya Otechestvennaya voina Sovetskogo Soyuza 1941–1945: Kratkaya istoriya [The Great Patriotic War of the Soviet Union 1941–1945: brief history]. Moscow: Voenizdat, 1984. 560 p.
6. Vetoshkina E.D. Holocaust denial: social conditionality and comparative analysis of the criminal law prohibition. Lex russica=Russian Law, 2020, vol. 73, no. 11 (168), pp. 129–138. (In Russ.).
7. Gaganov A.A. Responsibility for actions insulting memory of the Great Patriotic War. Tsentr Sulakshina (Tsentr nauchnoi politicheskoi mysli i ideologii): sait [Sulakshin Center (Center for Scientific Political Thought and Ideology): website]. Available at: https://rusrand.ru/analytics/otvetstvennost-za-deystviya-oskorblyayuschie pamyat-o-velikoy-otechestvennoy-voyne (In Russ.). (Accessed March 16, 2022).
8. Goidenko V.G. European legislation against the revival of Nazism and rehabilitation of collaborators. Materik: informatsionno-analiticheskii portal postsovetskogo prostranstva: sait [Mainland: information and analytical portal of the post-Soviet space: website]. Available at: http://www.materik.ru/rubric/detail.php?ID=17049 (In Russ.). (Accessed March 16, 2022).
9. Georgia imposes fines for the use of symbols of communism and fascism. RIA Novosti=RIA News. Available at: https:// ria.ru/20131129/980607526.html (In Russ.). (Accessed March 16, 2022).
10. Gryzun V. Kak Viktor Suvorov sochinyal istoriyu [How Viktor Suvorov composed history]. Moscow: OLMA-PRESS, 2004. 608 p.
11. Ivanov named the prerequisites for falsifying the history of the Second World War. RIA Novosti=RIA News. Available at: https://ria.ru/20190916/1558732714.html (In Russ.). (Accessed March 16, 2022).
12. Isaev A.V. Antisuvorov. Desyat’ mifov Vtoroi mirovoi [Antisuvorov. Ten myths of the Second World War]. Moscow: Yauza, Eksmo, 2004. 416 p. ISBN 5-699-07634-4.
13. Karpitskaya D. Stolen victory: Why the world believes that the fascists were defeated by the Americans. Komsomol’skaya pravda: sait [Komsomol’skaya pravda: website]. Available at: https://www.kp.ru/daily/26973/4031442/ (In Russ.). (Accessed March 16, 2022).
14. Korneev V.V. Falsification of History as a Way of Destroying Soviet Identity in Modern Russia. Vestnik Moskovskogo gosudarstvennogo lingvisticheskogo universiteta. Obshchestvennye nauki=Vestnik of Moscow State Linguistic University. Humanities, 2019, no. 1 (834), pp. 223–234. (In Russ.).
15. Kosachenko N.A., Berezovskii I.E., Starodubtsev D.M. On the issue of falsification of the history of the Great Patriotic War in the Western media. In: Nauchnoe soobshchestvo studentov 21 stoletiya. Obshchestvennye nauki: elektronnyi sbornik statei po materialam 26 studencheskoi mezhdunarodnoi nauchno-prakticheskoi konferentsii. No. 11 (25) [Scientific community of students of the 21st century. Social sciences: electronic collection of articles based on the materials of the 26th student international scientific and practical conference. No. 11 (25)]. Novosibirsk: SibAK, 2014. Pp. 28–36]. Available at: http://sibac.info/16411 (In Russ.). (Accessed March 16, 2022).
16. Lavrov S.V. The Great Victory is the source of our national pride. Mezhdunarodnaya zhizn’=International Affairs, 2015, no. 5, pp. 1–4. (In Russ.).
17. Liberals, KV tank and collaborators. Baiki o voine. Velikaya Otechestvennaya – istoriya, pravda i mify: sait [Tales of war. The Great Patriotic War – history, truth and myths: website]. Available at: http://fablewar.ru/2012/06/kv/ (In Russ.). (Accessed March 16, 2022).
18. Mead G.H. Filosofiya nastoyashchego [The Philosophy of the Present]. Translated from English by Nikolaev V., Kuz’minov V. Moscow: Izdat. dom NIU VShE, 2014. 272 p. ISBN 978-5-7598-1099-5.
19. The response of the official representative of the Russian Foreign Ministry M.V. Zakharova to the question of the RIA Novosti agency in connection with the adoption by the European Parliament of the resolution “On the importance of preserving historical memory for the future of Europe”. Ministerstvo inostrannykh del Rossiiskoi Federatsii: ofitsial’nyi sait [Ministry of Foreign Affairs of the Russian Federation: official website]. Available at: https://archive.mid.ru/ru/foreign_ policy/news/-/asset_publisher/cKNonkJE02Bw/content/id/3793247(In Russ.). (Accessed March 16, 2022).
20. Ponomareva E.G. Falsification of the history of the Great Patriotic War — technology of transformation of consciousness. Obozrevatel’=Observer, 2016, no. 5, pp. 5–20. (In Russ.).
21. Repina L.P., Zvereva V.V., Paramonova M.Yu. Istoriya istoricheskogo znaniya: posobie dlya vuzov [History of historical knowledge: handbook for universities]. Moscow: Drofa, 2004. 258 p. ISBN 5-7107-7438-3.
22. Romanova A.P., Fedorova M.M. Generational gap and historical memory of the digital era generation. Istoriya=History, 2020, vol. 11, no. 9 (95), p. 23. Available at: https://history.jes.su/s207987840012223-4-1/ (In Russ.). (Accessed March 16, 2022).
23. Russians support the fight against falsification of history. Global’nyi informatsionno-analiticheskii tsentr: sait [Global Information and Analytical Center: website]. Available at: http://www.giac.ru/NewsAM/NewsAMShow.asp?ID= 336189 (In Russ.). (Accessed March 16, 2022). 24. Joint statement of the Presidents of Poland, Latvia, Lithuania and Estonia. Prezident Latviiskoi Respubliki: ofitsial’nyi sait [President of the Republic of Latvia: official website] Available at: https://www.president.lv/ru/novosti/zayavlenieprezidentov-baltiyskikh-stran (In Russ.). (Accessed March 16, 2022).
25. Sokolova M.L., Mil’chakova N.E., Zhigunova A.I. The concept of responsibility as the modern outlook of the designer. Rossiiskii tekhnologicheskii zhurnal=Russian Technological Journal, 2020, vol. 8, no. 2, pp. 109–121. (In Russ.).
26. Transcript of the meeting of the Russian Organizational Committee “Victory” of July 2, 2020. Prezident Rossii: sait [President of Russia: website]. Available at: http://prezident.org/tekst/stenogramma-zasedanija-rossiiskogoorganizacionnogo-komiteta-pobeda-02-07-2020.html (In Russ.). (Accessed March 16, 2022).
27. Ustinkin S.V., Rudakov A.V. On approaches to the formation of a system of measures to counteract the falsification of history and protect the historical consciousness of the peoples of Russia. Vlast’=Power, 2017, no. 7, pp. 113–119. (In Russ.).
28. Falsification of history in Ukraine. Rukspert: sait [Rukspert: website]. Available at: https://ruxpert.ru/%D0%A4%D0%B 0%D0%BB%D1%8C%D1%81%D0%B8%D1%84%D0%B8%D0%BA%D0%B0%D1%86%D0%B8%D1%8F_%D0%B8%D 1%81%D1%82%D0%BE%D1%80%D0%B8%D0%B8_%D0%BD%D0%B0_%D0%A3%D0%BA%D1%80%D0%B0%D0% B8%D0%BD%D0%B5#cite_note-.D0.A3.D0.BA.D1.80-.D0.BC.D0.B5.D1.82.D0.BE.D0.B4.D0.B8.D1.87.D0.BA.D0.B056 (In Russ.). (Accessed March 16, 2022).
29. Fuks A.N., Kovrigin V.V. Problems of falsification of the history of the Great Patriotic War and the content of school textbooks on national history. Vestnik Omskogo universiteta. Seriya “Istoricheskie nauki=Herald of Omsk University Series “Historical Studies”, 2017, no. 2, pp. 66–70. (In Russ.).
30. Churakov D.O. Modern falsifications of the history of the Great Patriotic War. Vsemirnaya istoriya: internet-entsiklopediya [World History: online encyclopedia]. Available at: https://w.histrf.ru/articles/article/show/sovriemiennyie_falsifikatsii_ istorii_vielikoi_otiechiestviennoi_voiny (In Russ.). (Accessed March 16, 2022).
31. Baldwin N. Battles lost and won. Great campaigns of World War II. New York, Harper & Row, 1966. 532 р.
32. Hayes C.J. H. The novelty of totalitarianism in the history of Western civilization. Proceedings of the American Philosophical Society, vol. 82, no. 1, pp. 91–102.