Introduction: the article is devoted to the specifics of psychological defense of convicts who are serving sentences in prison for crimes against the person. Psychological defense helps a person to maintain inner peace, create conditions for self-justification, thereby reducing the influence of social control. Purpose: on the basis of the study to determine features of psychological defense of convicts serving imprisonment for the first time and repeatedly for crimes against the person, to give recommendations on correctional and educational work with this category of convicts. Methods: theoretical analysis of literature; methods of synthesis and generalization; projective method: test “Drawing a non-existent animal”; method of statistical data processing: the Fisher transformation of the sample correlation coefficient. Results: the convicts serving imprisonment for recurrent crimes against the person differ from those serving sentence for the first time by using types of psychological defense, such as denial, displacement and projection. Recidivists try to protect themselves from all the reality surrounding them, cannot open up to natural communication due to constant fear for their emotional peace. They do not want to admit their antisocial actions, which are repressed into the unconscious or denied. With the recurrence of crimes, convicts again resort to these types of psychological defense to feel safe. The revealed features of psychological defense of persons serving sentences for crimes against the person for the first time and repeatedly have supplemented the characteristics of persons in this category and should be taken into account when organizing correctional and educational work with them in places of deprivation of liberty. Conclusions: when determining a direction of correctional and educational work with convicts of this category, it is important to take into account features of their psychological defense, identify whether convicts have overcome selfishness, stubbornness and individualistic attitude towards people, whether they have learned to analyze their actions and admit mistakes. It is crucial to encourage the ability to see positive traits and moral qualities in each person.
Keywords: Places of deprivation of liberty; correctional process; convicted for the first time; convicts serving imprisonment for recurrent crimes; crimes against the person; psychological defense; specifics of psychological defense; correctional and educational work.
Doctor of Sciences (Pedagogy), Professor, Corresponding Member of the International Academy of Sciences of Pedagogical Education, professor of the Department of Legal Psychology and Pedagogy of the Faculty of Psychology of the Vologda Institute of Law and Economics of the Federal Penitentiary Service of Russia, Vologda, Russia, Leading Researcher of the Research Institute of the Federal Penitentiary Service of Russia, Moscow, Russia
, e-mail email@example.com
Doctor of Sciences (Pedagogy), Professor, Chief Researcher of the Research Institute of the Federal Penitentiary Service of Russia, Moscow, Russia
, e-mail firstname.lastname@example.org
1. Bassin F.V., Burlakova M.K., Volkov V.M. Problem of phycological defense. Psikhologicheskii zhurnal=Psychological Journal, 1988, no. 3, pp. 30–41. (In Russ.).
2. Vasilyuk F.E. Psikhologiya perezhivaniya (analiz preodoleniya kriticheskikh situatsii) [Psychology of experience (analysis of overcoming critical situations)]. Moscow: Izd-vo Mosk. Un-ta, 1984. 200 p.
3. Granovskaya P.M., Nikol’skaya I.M. Zashchita lichnosti: psikhologicheskie mekhanizmy [Personal protection: psychological mechanisms]. Saint Petersburg: Znanie, 1999. 347p.
4. Grishina N.V. Psikhologiya konflikta [Psychology of conflict]. Saint Petersburg: Piter, 2008. 554 p.
5. Zhurbin V.I. Concept of psychological defense in the concepts of S. Freud and C. Rogers. Voprosy psikhologii=Issues of Psychology, 1990, no. 4, pp. 14–23. (In Russ.).
6. Zautorova E.V. Organizatsiya vospitatel’noi raboty s osuzhdennymi za razlichnye vidy prestuplenii: uchebnoe posobie [Organization of educational work with convicts sentenced for various types of crimes: textbook]. Moscow: NII FSIN Rossii, 2018. 80 p.
7. Zautorova E.V., Kevlya F.I. Osobennosti psikhologicheskikh zashchit u osuzhdennykh, otbyvayushchikh lishenie svobody za prestupleniya protiv lichnosti: monografiya [Features of psychological defenses of convicts serving imprisonment for crimes against the person: monograph]. Moscow, 2021. 120 p.
8. Kirshbaum E.I., Eremeeva A.I. Psikhologicheskaya zashchita [Psychological defense]. Moscow: Smysl, Saint Petersburg: Piter, 2005. 175 p.
9. Knopkin O.A. Mental self-regulation of voluntary human activity (structural and functional aspect). Voprosy psikhologii=Issues of Psychology, 1995, no. 1, pp. 5–12. (In Russ.).
10. Brief description of the state of crime in the Russian Federation for January–December 2020. Ministerstvo vnutrennikh del Rossiiskoi Federatsii: ofitsial’nyi sait [Ministry of the Interior of the Russian Federation: official website]. Available at: https://mvd.rf/reports/item/22678184/ (Accessed April 28, 2021).
11. Nikol’skaya I.M., Granovskaya P.M. Psikhologicheskaya zashchita u detei [Psychological defense of children]. Saint Petersburg: Rech’, 2006. 342 p.
12. Murashov V.N. Osobennosti sekretsii gormona rosta pri depressiyakh nepsikhoticheskogo urovnya: dis. ... kand. bilog. nauk [Features of growth hormone secretion in non-psychotic depression: Candidate of Sciences (Biology)]. Arkhangelsk, 2006. 132 p.
13. Romanova E.S. Psikhodiagnostika: uchebnoe posobie [Psychodiagnostics: textbook]. Moscow: KNORUS., 2011. 336 p.
14. Sidorenko E.V. Metody matematicheskoi obrabotki v psikhologii [Methods of mathematical processing in psychology]. Saint Petersburg: Rech’, 2000. 350 p.
15. Freud A. Teoriya i praktika detskogo psikhoanaliza. V 2 tomakh. Tom 1 [Psychoanalysis theory of child development. In 2 volumes. Vol. 1]. Moscow: Aprel’ press, 1999. 392 p.
16. Bandura A. Social foundations of thought and action: a social cognitive theory. Englewood Cliffs (N.J.): Prentice-Hall, 1986. 617 p.
17. Budner S. Intolerance of ambiguity as a personality variable. Journal of Personality, 1962, vol. 3, no. 1, pp. 29–50.
18. Deutsch M. Constuctive conflict resolution: principles, training, and research. Journal of Social Issues, 1994, vol. 50, no. 1, pp. 13–32.
19. Ignatov A.N. Biological factors of determination of violent crime. Criminological Journal of the Baikal State University of Economics and Law, 2015, vol. 9, no. 2, pp. 223–233.
20. Jarrett K. How prison changes a person’s identity. BBC news: Ukraine. Available at: https://www.bbc.com/ukrainian/features-russian-44083238 (In Russ.). (Accessed January 26, 2021).