Introduction: the article deals with problematic procedural aspects of registration and verification of crime allegations carried out by officials of territorial bodies of the Federal Penitentiary Service of Russia in institutions of the penal system. Analysis of published statistical data shows that, despite a significant reduction in the number of convicts in correctional institutions subordinate to the Federal Penitentiary Service of Russia, there is a steady increase in the number of crimes. In addition, due to specifics of initiating cases of private and private-public prosecution and criminal subculture it may be difficult to conduct investigation in procedural and tactical terms. Having analyzed departmental statistical data, regulatory legal acts, scientific research on the subject under consideration, the authors formulate and discuss topical problems of the application of the departmental order approving the instructions regulating reception, registration and verification of crime reports in penitentiary bodies and institutions. The authors come to the conclusion that numerous changes in the norms of criminal procedural legislation are not properly fixed in the departmental normative act, undermining effectiveness of activities of officials who register and verify crime allegations in penitentiaries. Thus, these gaps lead to contradictory regional law enforcement practice, which is reflected in their different interpretation by both law enforcement agencies and prosecutor’s offices. As a result, this leads to acts of prosecutorial response and bringing employees of the Federal Penitentiary Service of Russia to disciplinary and other responsibility. Purpose: on the basis of generalization and analysis of normative legal acts, scientific sources, opinions of penitentiary scientists and official statistical data, to disclose prospects for improving the institution of registration and verification of crime reports in institutions of the penal enforcement system of Russia. Methods: dialectical cognition method, general scientific methods of analysis and generalization, empirical methods of description, interpretation, theoretical methods of formal and dialectical logic. Results: the conducted research reveals a number of urgent problems, in particular: absence of forms of procedural documents in the Criminal Procedural Code of the Russian Federation, the instructions refer to; uncertainty of the content of emergency response measures and other verification actions and their relationship with legislation norms and other departmental regulations; inconsistency of the subjects of urgent investigative actions specified in the instructions; unsettled list and powers of officials authorized to investigate crimes and incidents; absence of timing, medical or other special studies in the instructions; gap in the procedure for obtaining an explanation from convicts during verification of statements and reports of crimes and lack of the form of the specified procedural document; legal and organizational problems of issuing a registration document to the convicted applicant. Conclusions: for all the problems considered, the authors propose solutions implying amendments to the Criminal Procedural Code of the Russian Federation, departmental instructions and other regulations.
Keywords: Penal enforcement system; reception and registration of reports; initial inquiry body; convicts; urgent investigative actions; verification actions; explanations; register document.
Candidate of Sciences (Law), Associate Professor, associate professor of the Department of Criminal Procedure, Criminalistics and Operational Investigative Activities of the Faculty of Law of the Vologda Institute of Law and Economics of the Federal Penitentiary Service of Russia, Vologda, Russia
, e-mail firstname.lastname@example.org
Candidate of Sciences (Law), Associate Professor, associate professor of the Department of Criminal Procedure and Criminalistics of the North-Western Institute of the Kutafin Moscow State Law University (MSAL), Vologda, Russia
, e-mail email@example.com
1. Bednyakov I.L. Problems of registration and verification of reports of crimes and incidents in correctional institutions. In: Kriminalisticheskoe i protsessual’noe obespechenie rassledovaniya prestuplenii v ugolovno-ispolnitel’noi sisteme: materialy mezhvuzovskoi nauchno-prakticheskoi konferentsii (g. Vladimir, 1 marta 2017 g.) [Forensic and procedural support for investigation of crimes in the penal system: materials of the interuniversity scientific and practice conference (Vladimir, March 1, 2017)]. Vladimir: Vladimirskii yuridicheskii institut Federal’noi sluzhby ispolneniya nakazanii, 2017. Pp. 28– 32. (In Russ.).
2. Brylyakov S.P. Regulation of the procedure for receiving, registering and resolving reports of crimes in institutions executing sentences in the form of imprisonment needs improvement. In: Antonov A.G. (Ed.). Ugolovno-ispolnitel’naya sistema segodnya: vzaimodeistvie nauki i praktiki: materialy nauchno-prakticheskoi konferentsii (g. Novokuznetsk, 15-16 noyabrya 2012) [Penal enforcement system today: interaction of science and practice: materials of the scientific and practical conference (Novokuznetsk, November 15–16, 2012)]. Novokuznetsk, 2013. P. 92. (In Russ.).
3. Gavrilov B.Ya. Criminal Procedural Code of the Russian Federation: evaluation of effectiveness and measures for its improvement. Penitentsiarnaya nauka=Pentitentiary Science, 2021, vol. 15, no. 4 (56), pp. 753–765. DOI 10.46741/2686-9764-2021-15-4-753-765. (In Russ.).
4. Gir’ko S.I., Dolgopolov A.A. Penitentiary crime: current state and trends. Nauchnyi portal MVD Rossii=Scientific Portal of the Russia Ministry of the Interior, 2021, no. 1 (53), pp. 18–24. (In Russ.).
5. The head of the FSIN complained about a lack of employees and high loads. RIA Novosti: ofitsial’nyi sait [RIA News: official website]. Available at: https://ria.ru/20210312/fsin-1600960376.html (In Russ.). (Accessed October 21, 2021).
6. Gryazeva N.V., Kabanen E.S. Special aspects of acceptance, booking and controling of crime reports and incidents within the penal institutions. Vestnik Samarskogo yuridicheskogo instituta=Bulletin of the Samara Law Institute, 2021, no. 3 (44), pp. 122–127. (In Russ.).
7. Klyuchnikova M.A., Koval’kova K.Yu. Peculiarities of registration of reports on crimes in the penal system. Penitentsiarnoe pravo: yuridicheskaya teoriya i pravoprimenitel’naya praktika=Penal Law: Legal Theory and Law Enforcement Practices, 2017, no. 2 (12), pp. 31–33. (In Russ.).
8. Malysheva O.A. Features of receiving and registering reports of crimes in institutions of the penal enforcement system. Trudy Akademii MVD Rossii=Proceedings of Management Academy of the Ministry of the Interior of Russia, 2013, no. 1. (25), pp. 47–50. (In Russ.).
9. Ogryzkov A.V., Suleimanov T.A. Practice of considering the issue of receiving and registering reports of crimes in the activities of duty shifts of correctional institutions. Chelovek: prestuplenie i nakazanie=Man: Crime and Punishment, 2019, vol. 27(1–4), no. 1, pp. 59–65. (In Russ.).
10. Pudakov E.R. Ugolovno-protsessual’naya deyatel’nost’ organov i uchrezhdenii ugolovno-ispolnitel’noi sistemy Rossii: dis. ... kand. yurid. nauk [Criminal procedural activity of bodies and institutions of the penal enforcement system of Russia: Candidate of Sciences (Law) dissertation]. Vladimir, 2008. 191 p.
11. Sautiev A.M. Priem, registratsiya i rassmotrenie zayavlenii i soobshchenii o prestupleniyakh i proisshestviyakh v ispravitel’nykh uchrezhdeniyakh FSIN Rossii (sravnitel’no-pravovoe issledovanie na osnove zakonodatel’stva Rossiiskoi Federatsii i stran SNG): dis. ... kand. yurid. nauk [Reception, registration and consideration of applications and reports on crimes and incidents in correctional institutions of the Federal Penitentiary Service of Russia (comparative legal research based on the legislation of the Russian Federation and CIS countries): Candidate of Sciences (Law) dissertation]. Ryazan, 2017. 230 p.
12. Shatalov A.S., Akchurin A.V. On the need to develop professional competences in criminal procedure and criminalistics in corrections officers of the Federal Penitentiary Service of Russia. Penitentsiarnaya nauka=Penitentiary Science, 2020, vol. 14, no. 4 (52), pp. 499–506. (In Russ.). DOI 10.46741/2686-9764-2020-14-4-499-506.
13. Shatalov A.S. Verification of reports on prison-related crimes in the context of ensuring the rights and legitimate interests of convicts. Penitentsiarnaya nauka=Penitentiary Science, 2021, vol. 15, no. 3 (55), pp. 512–520. (In Russ.). DOI 10.46741/2686-9764-2021-15-3-512-520.