Introduction: studying issues of qualitative public control over activities of places of forced detention is very relevant for the modern state, since it contributes to ensuring the rights and freedoms of an individual as the highest value, effective functioning of the penal enforcement system, reducing corruption, developing an open state and increasing the level of trust in the law enforcement system. Method: dogmatic analysis of scientific categories, formal legal analysis of existing regulations. Results: traditional approaches to assessing performance of certain subjects are not quite suitable for public control, including over activities of the penal enforcement system. It is proposed to evaluate functionality of public supervisory commissions, that is, assess indicators of their activities in the performance of their functions. Attention is also drawn to the fact that the functions of public supervisory commissions stem from the purpose of their existence and tasks of their activities. The formulations of the goals and objectives contained in the current law “On public control over ensuring human rights in places of forced detention and on assistance to persons in places of forced detention” do not correspond to the social purpose of public supervisory commissions and require improvement. Conclusions: the author proposes to evaluate performance of public supervisory commissions through the prism of their functionality, assessing not only quantitative characteristics of their activities, but also qualitative performance indicators, including characteristics of their composition, complexity and systematic work, involvement of members of public supervisory commissions in the activities carried out, flexibility of the public control system and availability of information about it. The choice of criteria and specific evaluation indicators requires further discussion. It is also suggested to improve regulation of the goalsetting activities of public supervisory commissions as subjects of public control.
Keywords: Public control, public control over activities of the penal enforcement system, public supervisory commissions, penal enforcement system, efficiency of public control.
Associate Professor of the Department of State Legal
Disciplines of the Vologda Institute of Law and Economics of the Federal Penal
Service of Russia, PhD. in Law, Associate Professor
, e-mail email@example.com
1. Beleshev N.A. Public control over activities of public authorities as an attribute of legitimacy of the public government. Konstitutsionnoe i munitsipal’noe pravo=Constitutional and Municipal Law, 2021, no. 3, pp 12–13. (In Russ.).
2. Berezhnaya T.V. Right to information as a guarantee of realization of human rights. Konstitutsionnoe i munitsipal’noe pravo=Constitutional and Municipal Law, 2009, no. 22, pp. 14–17. (In Russ.).
3. Biryukova E.R. The concept of “efficiency” in the field of public administration. Uchenye zapiski Krymskogo federal’nogo universiteta imeni V. I. Vernadskogo. Yuridicheskie nauki=Scientific Notes of V. I. Vernadsky Crimean Federal University. Juridical Science, 2020, no. 1, pp. 419–422. (In Russ.).
4. Bryantsev I.I., Evstifeev R.V. Problems of evaluating the effectiveness of the institutions of state and society interaction (the cases of regional public chambers of the Vladimir and Saratov regions). Voprosy gosudarstvennogo i munitsipal’nogo upravleniya=Public Administration Issues, 2020, no. 1, pp. 115–136. (In Russ.).
5. Report on the state of civil society in the Russian Federation for 2019. Obshchestvennaya palata Rossiiskoi Federatsii: sait [Public Chamber of the Russian Federation: website]. Available at: https://report2019.oprf.ru/index.html (In Russ.). (Accessed September 8, 2021).
6. Report of the Public Chamber of the Russian Federation on the activities of public supervisory commissions in the subjects of the Russian Federation. Obshchestvennaya palata Rossiiskoi Federatsii: sait [Public Chamber of the Russian Federation: website]. Available at: https://www.oprf.ru/files/1_2019dok/doklad_onk_28022019_1.pdf (In Russ.). (Accessed August 22, 2021).
7. Drozdova K.V. Efficiency of public control in the consumer market. Kommunikologiya=Communicology, 2013, no. 2, pp. 185–190. (In Russ.).
8. Zakharova O.S. Evaluation of the effectiveness of non-profit organizations: regional rating and directions of development. Kant=Kant, 2020, no. 4 (37), pp. 81–86. (In Russ.).
9. Maloletkina N.S., Kameneva I.M. Public control over activities of institutions of the penal system: some issues. Ugolovno-ispolnitel’noe pravo=Penal Enforcement Law, 2020, vol. 15 (1-4), no 4, pp. 403–406. (In Russ.).
10. Maloletkina N.S. Effectiveness of public monitoring commissions in the context of the epidemic: some legal and technical aspects. Vestnik Samarskogo yuridicheskogo instituta=Bulletin of the Samara Law Institute, 2021, no. 2 (43), pp. 52–56. (In Russ.).
11. Methodology for assessing and criteria of performance of public councils under federal executive authorities. Minfin Rossii: ofitsial’nyi sait [Ministry of Finance of Russia: official website]. Available at: https://minfin.gov.ru/ru/document/?id_4=125993-metodika_otsenki_i_kriterii_effektivnosti_dyeyat elnosti_obshchestvennykh_sovetov_pri_federalnykh_organakh_ispolnitelnoi_vlasti (In Russ.). (Accessed August 22, 2021).
12. On the state and development of civil society institutions in the Moscow Oblast in 2020: annual report of the Public Commission of the Moscow Oblast. Obshchestvennaya palata Moskovskoi oblasti: sait [Public Chamber of the Moscow Oblast: website]. Available at: https://opmosreg.ru/upload/iblock/06a/06ae6bac9616a4e8aaa80e30b7175331.pdf (In Russ.). (Accessed September 8, 2021).
13. Plotnikov A.A. Public control and its potential in combating corruption. Vestnik Severnogo (Arkticheskogo) federal’nogo universiteta. Seriya: Gumanitarnye i sotsial’nye nauki=Vestnik of Northern (Arctic) Federal University. Series: Humanitarian and Social Sciences, 2013, no. 2, pp 105–111. (In Russ.).
14. Reent Ya.Yu. Some problems of legal regulation of the activities of public supervisory commissions. Chelovek: prestuplenie i nakazanie=Man: Crime and Punishment, 2014, no. 1 (84), pp. 55–58. (In Russ.).
15. Svinin E. V., Kubyshkin A.N. Legal policy, legal order and civic oversight in the penal system. Penitentsiarnaya nauka=Penitentiary Science, 2021, vol. 15 (53), no. 1, pp. 20–32.
16. Denedo M., Thomson I., Yonekura A. Ecological damage, human rights and oil: local advocacy NGOs dialogic action and alternative accounting practices. Accounting Forum, 2019, vol. 43, no. 1, pp. 85–112
17. Gryshchenko I. M., Denysova A. V., Ovsiannikova O. O., Buha H.S., Kiselyova E.I. Means for control over the activities of public authorities by civic democratic institutions: the conceptual framework analysis. Cuestiones Politicas, 2021, no. 39 (69), pp. 796–813.