Introduction: the article analyzes the content and typical methods and ways that convicts, suspects, and defendants held in correctional institutions and pre-trial detention centers use to counter the investigation of penitentiary crimes. Aim: using the analysis of investigative and judicial practice for criminal cases initiated against persons who committed crimes while in custody or while serving their prison terms, we make an attempt to identify the most distinctive features of counteracting the investigation of prisonrelated crimes. Methods: dialectical method of cognition, general scientific methods of analysis and generalization, empirical methods of description, interpretation; theoretical methods of formal and dialectical logic. Results: using a scientific approach that highlights the preliminary stage of investigation of crimes, we reveal some typical counteraction techniques used by prison offenders. Conclusions: destruction, concealment, staging, and falsification are among the most popular methods used directly by offenders to prevent prison-related crimes from being solved. The indirect attitude of offenders toward counteracting the investigation of prison-related crimes is successfully implemented by creating a crowd effect, as well as using the media and the activities of human rights organizations.
Keywords: Prison-related crime; counteracting crime investigation; correctional institution; pre-trial detention center; convicted person; suspect; defendant
Candidate of Sciences (Law), Associate Professor, Head of the Department of Criminal Procedure and Criminalistics, Academy of the Federal Penitentiary Service of Russia, Ryazan, Russian Federation.
, e-mail firstname.lastname@example.org
1. Bushinskaya M.G. Kriminal’noe protivodeistvie i puti ego preodoleniya pri rassledovanii moshennichestva: dis. … kand. yurid. nauk. [Criminal counteraction and ways to overcome it in the investigation of fraud: Candidate of Sciences (Law) dissertation]. Moscow, 2006. 211 p.
2. Gilyazov I.F., Kudashov V.N. Prospects for the development of socio-psychological forms of work with convicted minors. Vedomosti ugolovno-ispolnitel’noi sistemy=Bulletin of the Penal System, 2013, no. 3, pp. 4-5. (In Russ.).
3. Ishchenko V.A. Protivodeistvie predvaritel’nomu rassledovaniyu v mestakh lisheniya svobody i osnovnye napravleniya ego neitralizatsii: dis. ... kand. yurid. nauk [Counteraction to preliminary investigation in places of deprivation of liberty and the main directions of its neutralization: Candidate of Sciences (Law) dissertation]. Moscow, 2007. 176 p.
4. Kulikov V.S. Head of the Ministry of Justice: The revolt in the Angarsk colony was orchestrated from the outside (Code of health). Rossiiskaya gazeta=Russian Newspaper, 2020, April 15, no. 81. (In Russ.).
5. Malyshkin P.V. Concept and essence of counteraction to the investigation of crimes by a defense lawyer. Mir nauki i obrazovaniya=World of Science and Education, 2015, no. 4, pp. 14–27. (In Russ.).
6. Morozov R.M., Ostapenko V.N. Features of overcoming the counteraction carried out by suspects (accused) at the initial stage of investigation of remote fraud committed in penitentiary institutions. Penitentsiarnaya nauka=Penitentiary Science, 2019, vol. 13, no. 4, pp. 543-551. (In Russ.).
7. Nikolaichenko V. V. Penitentsiarnye i postpenitentsiarnye prestupleniya : kriminalisticheskaya teoriya i praktika: dis. …d-ra. yurid. nauk [Penitentiary and post-penitentiary crimes: criminalistic theory and practice: Doctor of Sciences (Law) dissertation]. Saratov, 2006. Pp. 350-356.
8. Pavlov A.A. Forms of counteraction to the investigation of crimes by the defender. Aktual’nye problemy teorii i praktiki ugolovnogo sudoproizvodstva i kriminalistiki=Topical Issues of the Theory and Practice of Criminal Justice and Criminalistics, 2004, pp. 173-183. (In Russ.).
9. Polikarpov B.A. Protivodeistvie ugolovnomu presledovaniyu v sledstvennykh izolyatorakh i kriminalisticheskie sredstva ego preodoleniya: dis. … kand. yurid. nauk [Counteraction to criminal prosecution in pre-trial detention centers and criminalistic means for its overcoming: Candidate of Sciences (Law) dissertation]. Ulan-Ude, 2017. 292 p.
10. Spiridonova Yu.N. On certain issues of legal regulation of the criminal procedure status of officials of the Federal Penitentiary Service. Vestnik instituta: prestuplenie, nakazanie, ispravlenie=Bulletin of the Institute: Crime, Punishment, Correction, 2017, no. 4, pp. 34–38. (In Russ.).
11. Shurukhnov N.G. Influence of criminal procedure legislation on the structure of crime investigation. In: Ugolovnoe sudoproizvodstvo: problemy teorii, normotvorchestva i pravoprimeneniya: sb.nauch.tr. [Criminal proceedings: problems of theory, norm-making and law enforcement: Collection of scientific works]. Ryazan: Akademiya FSIN Rossii, 2007. Issue 2. Pp. 147–156. (In Russ.).
12. Shurukhnov N.G. Factors affecting the investigation of crimes committed by convicts in correctional labor institutions. In: Aktual’nye voprosy ispol’zovaniya dostizhenii nauki i tekhniki v rassledovanii prestuplenii organami vnutrennikh del [Actual issues of using the achievements of science and technology in the investigation of crimes by internal affairs bodies]. Moscow, 1990. Pp. 101–107. (In Russ.).