Introduction: we usethe analysis of official data and the results of our own research to identifymajor issues in the work ofprobation inspectorates aimed at executing penalties in the form of correctional labor. Aim: taking into account current practice of execution of punishment in the form of correctional labor, we formulate some organizational and legal proposals for supporting the activities of probation inspetorates, aimed at improving the effectiveness of execution of this type of punishment. Methods: generalization, comparison, dialectical-materialistic theory of knowledge, questionnaire survey, expert assessment, statistical analysis, comparative-legal method. Results: our proposals for changing the current legislation will help to enhance the performance of probation inspectoratesin their work related to the execution of sentences in the form of correctional labor as a real and in-demand alternative to incarceration. Conclusions: main reasons for insufficient labor involvement of convicts sentenced to correctional worksare as follows: probation inspectorates and territorial bodies of the Federal Penitentiary Service of Russia do not conduct effective preliminary work that wouldhelp to create favorableworkingconditions for the convicts in this category; cooperation of probation inspectorates with municipal authorities at various levels and with regional state authorities is at a low level; as a result, convicts cannot be brought to work in full; there is no legal mechanism to encourage employers to provide jobs to convicts; regional state authorities have yet to introduce appropriate changes to regional legislation so as to reduce the tax on profits of enterprises and organizations that provide jobs for those sentenced to correctional labor; probation inspectorates staff lack initiative with regard to employment quotas in institutions where prisoners work; the personality of a convicted person who is prone to committing crimes and other offenses has not been studied thoroughly. It is obvious that there is a need to develop a mechanism for legal regulation of the functioning of probation inspectorates in the field of execution of sentences in the form of correctional labor.
Keywords: probation inspectorate; correctional labor; convict; engagement in labor; quotas; tax benefits; interaction.
Lecturer of the Department of Penal Law and the Organization
of Educational Work with Convicted of the Vologda Instutute of Law and Economics
of the Federal Penal Service of Russia
, e-mail email@example.com
1. Arzamastsev M.V. Determining the place of execution of custodial sentences. Ugolovnoe pravo=Criminal Law, 2010,
no. 4, pp. 4–7. (In Russ.).
2. Galieva R.F. Legal regulation of the work of persons sentenced to correctional labor. Ugolovno-ispolnitel‘nayasistema:
pravo, ekonomika, upravlenie=Penal System: Law, Economics, Management, 2011, no. 2, pp. 20–25. (In Russ.).
3. Judicial statistics data. Judicial Department at the Supreme Court of the Russian Federation: official website. Available
at: http://www.cdep.ru/index.php?id=79&item=4894 (accessed February 12, 2021). (In Russ.).
4. The Legislative Assembly has reduced the profit tax of organizations that employ convicts. Information Agency “Chita.
Ru”: official website. Available at: http://news.chita.ru/43780/ (accessed January 21, 2021). (In Russ.).
5. Knyazev A.V. Experience of employment of those sentenced to correctional labor in the Ivanovo Oblast. In: Materialy
II Vserossiiskogosoveshchaniyarukovoditeleiapparatovporukovodstvu UII izamestiteleinachal‘nikovterritorial‘nykhor
ganov FSIN Rossii, kuriruyushchikhikhdeyatel‘nost‘, poitogamrabotysluzhbyispolneniyanakazanii, ne svyazannykh s
lisheniemsvobody, v 2007 goduizadachakh, stoyashchikhperedsluzhboina 2008–2009 gody (Ufa, 24–25 aprelya 2008 g.)
[Proceedings of the 2nd all-Russian meeting of heads of agencies for managing probation inspectorates and deputy heads
of territorial bodies of the Federal Penitentiary Service of Russia in charge of their activities, on the results of the work of
penal services not related incarceration in 2007 and the challenges that the service is facing, 2008–2009 (Ufa, April 24–25,
2008)]. Ufa: izdatel‘stvo, 2008. Pp. 105–110. (In Russ.).
6. Kosolapova D.V. On the issue of improving the legal regulation of activity of probation inspectoratesrelated to engaging
the prisoners sentenced to compulsory and correctional labor. NovaInfo, 2015, no. 34-4. (In Russ.).
7. Lyadov E.V. Improving the normative regulation of the application of criminal punishment in the form of correctional labor.
In: Ugolovno-ispolnitel‘nayasistemanasovremennometapeiperspektivyeerazvitiya: sborniktezisovvystupleniiidokladovuch
astnikovMezhdunarodnoinauchno-prakticheskoikonferentsii (Ryazan‘, 18–19 noyabrya 2020 g.) [The penal system at the
present stage and the prospects for its development: collection of abstracts of speeches and reports of participants of
the International Scientific and Practical Conference (Ryazan, November 18–19, 2020)]. In 6 volumes. Volume 1. Ryazan:
Akademiya FSIN Rossii, 2020. Pp. 120–125. (In Russ.).
8. On amendments to the Criminal Code of the Russian Federation and certain legislative acts of the Russian Federation: Federal
Law 420-FZ of December 7, 2011. Rossiiskayagazeta=Russian Newspaper, 2011, December 9; 2016, July 8. (In Russ.).
9. On employment of the population in the Russian Federation: Law of the Russian Federation no. 1032-1of April 19, 1991.
Rossiiskayagazeta=Russian Newspaper, 1996, May 6; 2020, December 11. (In Russ.).
10. On the practice of imposing criminal penalties by the courts of the Russian Federation: Resolution of the Plenum of the
Supreme Court of the Russian Federation no. 58 of December 22, 2015. Rossiiskayagazeta=Russian Newspaper, 2015,
December 29. (In Russ.).
11. On social protection of disabled persons in the Russian Federation: Federal Law 181-FZ of November 24, 1995.
Rossiiskayagazeta=Russian Newspaper, 1995, December 2; 2021, January 11.
12. On enforcement proceedings: Federal Law 229-FZ of October 2, 2007. Rossiiskayagazeta=Russian Newspaper, 2007,
October 6; 2021, January 11. (In Russ.).
13. On approving the administrative regulations of the Ministry of Internal Affairs of the Russian Federation on the provision
of state services for issuing and replacement of passports of the citizen of the Russian Federation, the identity of the citizen
of the Russian Federation on the territory of the Russian Federation: order of the Ministry of Internal Affairs of Russia no. 851
of November 13, 2017. Official Internet portal of legal information. Available at: http://www.pravo.gov.ru/.
14. Ryazanov V.V., Krivosheev N.A., Vladimirova O.A. On the mechanism for execution of alternative types of criminal penalties
in Russia on the example of compulsory and correctional work. In: Problemyiperspektivyrazvitiyaugolovno-ispolnitel‘noisiste
myRossiinasovremennometape: materialyVserossiiskoinauchnoikonferentsiiad“yunktov, aspirantov, kursantovistudentov
s mezhdunarodnymuchastiem (24 aprelya 2020 g.) [Problems and prospects of development of the penal system of Russia
at the present stage: proceedings of the all-Russian scientific conference of adjuncts, postgraduates, cadets and students
with international participation (April 24, 2020)]. In three parts. Part 3. Samara: Samarskiiyuridicheskiiinstitut FSIN Rossii,
2020. Pp. 118–121. (In Russ.).
15. Summary statistical data on the state of criminal records in Russia for the 1st half of 2020 no. 10.1 “A report on the
number of persons brought to criminal responsibility and types of criminal punishment”. Judicial Department at the
Supreme Court of the Russian Federation: official website. Available at: http://www.cdep.ru/index.php?id=79&item=5460
(accessed January 21, 2021). (In Russ.).
16. Tarabuev L.N., Solov‘eva N.N. To the question of the execution of punishment in the form of correctional labor. In:
Vuzovskayanauka –regionu: materialy XIV Vserossiiskoinauchnoikonferentsii [University science – to the region:
proceedings of the 14thall-Russian scientific conference]. Vologda: VoGU, 2016. Pp. 436–438. (In Russ.).
17. Tarabuev L.N., Krasotkin P.N. Some questions of the practice of execution of punishment in the form of correctional
labor. Vestnikinstituta: prestuplenie, nakazanie, ispravlenie=Institute Bulletin: Crime, Punishment, Correction, 2016, no. 1
(33), pp. 62–66. (In Russ.).
18. Tarabuev L.N. Organizatsiyaipravovyeosnovydeyatel‘nostiugolovno-ispolnitel‘nykhinspektsiipoispolneniyunakazan
iya v vide ispravitel‘nykhrabot: dissertatsiyanasoiskanieuchenoistepenikandidatayuridicheskikhnauk [Organization and
legal bases of the activities of probation inspectorates for the execution of punishment in the form of correctional labor:
Candidate of Sciences (Law) dissertation]. Rostov-on-Don, 2018. 253 p.
19. Ustinov A.A. Punishments in the form of compulsory work and correctional work: problems of legal regulation.
In: IV Mezhdunarodnyipenitentsiarnyi forum “Prestuplenie, nakazanie, ispravlenie” (k 140-letiyu ugolovnoispolnitel‘noisistemyRossiii85-letiyu Akademii FSIN Rossii): sborniktezisovvystupleniiidokladovuchastnikov (g. Ryazan‘,
20–22 noyabrya 2019 g.) [4th international penitentiary forum “Crime, punishment, correction” (to the 140th anniversary
of the penal system of Russia and the 85th anniversary of the Academy of the Federal Penitentiary Service of Russia):
collection of abstracts of speeches and reports of participants (Ryazan, November 20–22, 2019).]. In 10 volumes. Volume
3. Ryazan: Akademiya FSIN Rossii, 2019. Pp. 338–343. (In Russ.).
20. Khismatullina L., Safarov V. Problems of the imposition and implementation of correctional work in relation to minors.
Modern Science, 2020, no. 5-2, pp. 226–230. (In Russ.).
21. Chernysheva D.V. Organizatsionnyei pravovyeosnovydeyatel‘nostiugolovno-ispolnitel‘nykhinspektsiipoprivlecheniyu
osuzhdennykh k otbyvaniyu obyazatel‘nykh iispravitel‘nykh rabot: dissertatsiya na soiskanie uchenoi stepeni kandidata
yuridicheskikh nauk [Organizational and legal bases of activity of probation inspectorates to engage convictssentenced to
compulsory and correctional work:Candidate of Sciences (Law) dissertation]. Ryazan, 2010. 225 p.