State Service in the Prosecutor’s Office in the System of State Service in the Law Enforcement Sphere
Smirnov A.V. State service in the prosecutor’s office in the system of state service in the law enforcement sphere. Penitentiary Science, 2021, vol. 15, no. 1 (53), pp. 202-209. DOI 10.46741/2686-9764-2021-15-1-202-209.
Introduction: the paper analyzes current Russian legislation regulating the functioning of the institute of state service. Aim: to study federal legislative acts containing provisions that define the list of state bodies that are classified as law enforcement agencies, and to look into the reasons why the legislator abandons the term “law enforcement service”. Methods: general scientific and special methods, including comparative legal, comprehensive, logical methods, analysis and synthesis. Results: we reveal certain inconsistencies in the regulatory framework that make it difficult to establish common features and specifics of administrative and legal status of such bodies; these inconsistencies also impede further development of the theory of administrative law when studying the institution of state service. Conclusion: based on the analysis of the types of functional activities of state bodies, we conclude that the service in the prosecutor’s office is classified as the state service related to law enforcement activity; we note its similarity and difference in relation to the service in other state bodies that perform law enforcement functions, including institutions and bodies of the penal system. In line with the methodology of integrative legal understanding, we define the service in the prosecutor’s office as the professional activity carried out on behalf of the state by employees holding positions in authorized federal state bodies and empowered by law to apply state enforcement measures aimed at protecting law and order, human rights and freedoms, public and state interests, combating crimes and other offenses, or the professional activity related to the performance of the functions of internal administration and staffing of these bodies. We emphasize that such service is implemented in strict accordance with the rules established by administrative and legal norms, and on the basis of ethical principles and moral principles that form the orientation of employees toward achieving socially useful goals and interests of the state itself. Scientific and practical significance of the article lies in the fact that the conclusions made in it can be used in scientific, educational and law-making activities.
Keywords: state service; law enforcement agencies; law enforcement activities; control and supervisory activities; human rights activities; prosecutor’s office agencies; prosecutor’s office employees.
supplemented. Moscow: INFRA-M, 2019. 704 p.
2. Amirbeko K.I. Law enforcement activity and law enforcement agency: the concept and criteria of differentiation.
Rossiiskaya yustitsiya=Russian Justice, 2017, no. 4, pp. 48–51. (In Russ.).
3. Artem’ev A.M. On the question of determining the essence of law enforcement service and its structure. Rossiiskii
sledovatel’=Russian Investigator, 2008, no. 2, pp. 29–32. (In Russ.).
4. Boichenko S. I. Pravozashchitnaya deyatel’nost’ prokuratury Rossiiskoi Federatsii: konstitutsionno-pravovoe
issledovanie: avtoreferat dissertatsii na soiskanie uchenoi stepeni kandidata yuridicheskikh nauk [Law protecting activity
of the prosecutor’s office of the Russian Federation: constitutional and legal research: Candidate of Sciences (Law)
dissertation abstract]. Belgorod, 2009. 46 p.
5. Grishkovets A.A. On the question of law enforcement service. Rossiiskaya yustitsiya=Russian Justice, 2017, no. 7,
pp. 59–63. (In Russ.).
6. Evstafiadi Ya.K. About the need for legislative consolidation of the law enforcement system in Russia. Administrativnoe i
munitsipal’noe pravo=Administrative and Municipal Law, 2015, no. 6, pp. 603–608. (In Russ.).
7. Kozbanenko V.A. Other types of state service – law enforcement service: law and doctrine. Aktual’nye problemy
rossiiskogo prava=Topical Issues of Russian Law, 2018, no. 9, pp. 92–101. (In Russ.).
8. Masalab A.F. Problems of development of state control and supervision in the context of legislative reform.
Pravoprimenenie=Law Enforcement Review, 2020, vol. 4, no. 4, pp. 94–101. DOI: 10.24147/2542-1514.2020.4(4).94-101.
9. Nagornykh R.V. Administrativno-pravovoe regulirovanie gosudarstvennoi sluzhby Rossiiskoi Federatsii v
pravookhranitel’noi sfere: avtoreferat dissertatsii na soiskanie uchenoi stepeni doktora yuridicheskikh nauk [Administrative
and legal regulation of state service of the Russian Federation in the law enforcement sphere: Doctor of Sciences (Law)
dissertation abstract]. Moscow, 2016. 40 p.
10. Nagornykh R.V. Restrictions and prohibitions in the system of state service in law enforcement agencies. Vestnik
Tomskogo gosudarstvennogo universiteta=Tomsk State University Journal, 2019, no. 447, pp. 241–246. DOI:
10.17223/15617793/447/29. (In Russ.).
11. Nagornykh R.V. The concept of the system of state service in the law enforcement sphere. Vserossiiskii kriminologicheskii
zhurnal=All-Russian Criminological Journal, 2016, vol. 10, no. 1, pp. 179–184. DOI: 10.17150/1996-7756.2016.10(1).179-
184. (In Russ.).
12. Nagornykh R.V. Organizatsionno-pravovye aspekty kadrovogo obespecheniya deyatel’nosti ugolovno-ispolnitel’noi
sistemy Ministerstva yustitsii Rossiiskoi Federatsii: avtoreferat dissertatsii na soiskanie uchenoi stepeni kandidata
yuridicheskikh nauk [Organizational and legal aspects of staffing for the activities of the penal system of the Ministry of
Justice of the Russian Federation: Candidate of Sciences (Law) dissertation abstract]. Moscow, 2003. 32 p.
13. Nazarova S.P. Institut gosudarstvennoi sluzhby v Rossiiskoi Federatsii: sovremennoe sostoyanie i perspektivy:
avtoreferat dissertatsii na soiskanie uchenoi stepeni kandidata yuridicheskikh nauk [The institution of state service in the
Russian Federation: current state and prospects: Candidate of Sciences (Law) dissertation abstract]. Rostov-on-Don,
2011. 28 p.106
14. Pogrebezhskii K.A. Pravovoe obespechenie gosudarstvennoi pravookhranitel’noi sluzhby i puti ego sovershenstvovaniya:
avtoreferat dissertatsii na soiskanie uchenoi stepeni kandidata yuridicheskikh nauk [Legal support of the state law
enforcement service and ways of its improvement: Candidate of Sciences (Law) dissertation abstract]. Moscow, 2010. 26 p.
15. Raz”yasnenie Komiteta Gosudarstvennoi Dumy Federal’nogo Sobraniya Rossiiskoi Federatsii po federativnomu
ustroistvu i voprosam mestnogo samoupravleniya ob isklyuchenii iz sistemy gosudarstvennoi sluzhby “pravookhranitel’noi
sluzhby” i vklyuchenii v nee “gosudarstvennoi sluzhby inykh vidov” ot 06.07.2016 [Explanation of the Committee of State
Duma of the Federal Assembly of the Russian Federation on the federal structure and questions of local government
on the exclusion of “law enforcement service” from state service and inclusion of “state service of other types” in state
service dated July 6, 2016]. Available at: http://komitet4.km.duma.gov.ru/Voprosy-i-otvety/Razyasneniya-po-otdelnymvoprosam/item/154902 (accessed October 1, 2020). (In Russ.).
16. Stelina Ya. Theoretical concepts of the law of civil servants. Pravoprimenenie=Law Enforcement Review, 2019, vol. 3,
no. 2, pp. 21–30. DOI: 10.24147/2542-1514.2019.3(2).21-30. (In Russ.).
17. Tukhvatullin T.A. Constitutional and legal mechanism for the appointment of prosecutors after the amendment of the
Constitution of the Russian Federation. Aktual’nye problemy rossiiskogo prava=Topical Issues of Russian Law, 2016, no.
12, pp. 40–47. (In Russ.).
18. Tsymbalyuk N. I. “Pravookhrana” and “pravozashchita” – similarity or antipodes in a legal state? Aktual’nye voprosy
bor’by s prestupnost’yu=Topical Issues of Combating Crime, 2015, no. 2, pp. 93–98. (In Russ.).
19. Dandurand Y. The role of prosecutors in promoting and strengthening the rule of law. Crime Law and Social Change,
2007, no. 47 (4), pp. 247–259. DOI: 10.1007/s10611-007-9070-8. Available at: https://www.researchgate.net/
publication/225239037_The_role_of_prosecutors_in_promoting_and_strengthening_the_rule_of_law (accessed January
20. Nagornykh R. V. State service in the law enforcement sphere and its major features. Penitentiary Science, 2020, vol. 14,
no. 4 (52), pp. 576–580. DOI: 10.46741/ 2686-9764-2020-14-4-576-580. (In Russ.).
21. Rosenberg M. The attorney general and the prosecution function in the twenty-first century. Queen’s Law Journal,
2009, vol. 43, no. 2, pp. 813–862. Available at: https://www.ontariocourts.ca/coa/en/ps/publications/attorney_general_
prosecution_function.htm#_ftn3 (accessed January 4, 2021).
22. Shashkova A., Verlaine M., Kudryashova E. On modifications to the constitution of the Russian Federation in 2020.
Russian Law Journal, 2020, vol. 8, no. 1, pp. 60–83. DOI: 10.17589/2309-8678-2020-8-1-60-83.
23. Vedyashkin S.V., Nagornikh R.V. New concept of public service of the Russian Federation in law enforcement: the time
has come. Vestnik Tomskogo gosudarstvennogo universiteta. Pravo=Tomsk State University Journal of Law, 2020, no. 35,
pp. 5–13. DOI: 10.17223/22253513/35/1. (In Russ.).