Introduction: the article analyzes procedural issues in the activities of probation inspectorates in connection with the monitoring of suspects and accused in the execution of restrictive measures in the form of house arrest, bail, prohibition on certain actions. Aim: on the basis of generalization of judicial practice, the activities of probation inspectorates, we identify patterns and procedural problems arising from the implementation of certain measures of coercion, within the framework of which the probation inspectorates are competent to exercise control, as well as to develop proposals for eliminating legal gaps and give organizational recommendations of procedural nature. Methods: general scientific (formal and dialectical logic, system analysis, interpretation) and specific scientific methods (historical legal, comparative legal, formal dogmatic and the method of interpreting legal norms) were used. Results: in the course of the analysis of domestic and foreign legal practice in the field of selection and execution of restrictive measures in the form of house arrest, bail, prohibition on certain actions, some patterns and legal gaps were identified that require legislative decisions, as well as difficulties with the interpretation of relevant legal norms and court decisions in activities of probation inspectorates; proposals were put forward to overcome the identified problems. Conclusions: the appointment and execution of restrictive measures in the form of house arrest, prohibition on certain actions, and bail are consistent with the norms of international law, decisions of the European Court of Human Rights; control functions in relation to persons under investigation are attributed to the competence of probation inspectorates, which are experiencing difficulties due to the lack of elaboration of certain mechanisms for the implementation of these coercive measures; the solution to the identified problems is seen in filling legal gaps in some of the procedural powers of probation inspectorates and improving judicial practice in terms of sufficient specification of court decisions and strict compliance with the requirements of legality.
Keywords: house arrest; prohibition on certain actions; bail; penal inspections; the control; preventive measure; court decisions.
Deputy Head of the Department of Criminal Procedure,
Criminalistics and Operative Investigation of the Vologda Institute of Law and
Economics of the Federal Penal Service of Russia, PhD. in Law, Associate
, e-mail email@example.com
1. Avdeeva E.V., Tamaev R.S. Bail in the mechanism of regulation of criminal procedure relations. Aktual’nye problemy
advokatskoi praktiki=Topical Issues of Lawyer Practice, 2019, no. 2 (39), pp. 48–52. (In Russ.).
2. Appeal resolution of the Saratov Oblast Court no. 22K-2391/2018 of June 22, 2018. Judicial and regulatory acts of the
Russian Federation. Available at: http://sudact.ru/regular/doc (accessed January 20, 2021). (In Russ.).
3. Appeal resolution of the Supreme Court of the Republic of Dagestan of May 28, 2020. Case no. 22k-869/2020. Judicial
and regulatory acts of the Russian Federation. Available at: https://sudact.ru (accessed February 2, 2021). (In Russ.).
4. Appeal resolution no. 22-464 / 2020 22K-464/2020 of June 29, 2020, Case no. 3/12-44/2020. Judicial and regulatory acts
of the Russian Federation. Available at: https://sudact.ru/regular/ doc/5LMtriZWbk5x/?regular-txt=Chernevich®ularcase_doc=Delo+№++22-++ 614®ular-lawchunkinfo=®ular-date_from=®ular-date_to=®ular-w or
kflow_stage=20®ular-area=®ular-court=Pskovskii+oblastnoi+sud+ %2 8Pskovskaya+oblast’ %29®ularjudge=&_=1614525830542&snippet_pos=8 2#snippet (accessed February 2, 2021). (In Russ.).
5. Appeal resolution no. 22-754/2017 of May 11, 2017, Case no. 22-754/2017. Judicial and regulatory acts of the Russian
Federation. Available at: https://sudact.ru/regular/doc/QpsbIdooQIdO/ (accessed January 21, 2021). (In Russ.).
6. Bondarenko I.P. Features of the application of “combined” preventive measures. Sovremennoe ugolovno-protsessual’noe
pravo – uroki istorii i problemy dal’neishego reformirovaniya: materialy mezhdunarodnoi nauchno-prakticheskoi
konferentsii. V 2 tomakh. Tom 1 [Modern criminal procedure law – history lessons and problems of further reform.
Proceedings of the international research-to-practice conference. In 2 volumes. Volume 1]. Oryol: Orlovskii yuridicheskii
institut MVD Rossii im. V. V. Luk’yanova, 2019. Pp. 42–49. (In Russ.).
7. Brusnitsyn L. Measures of restraint under the Criminal Procedure Code of the Russian Federation: novels and old
mistakes. Ugolovnoe pravo=Criminal Law, 2002, no. 3, pp. 70–72. (In Russ.).
8. Burmagin S.V. Kak obosnovat’ perekhod na al’ternativnuyu meru presecheniya. Kogda sledovatel’ khodataistvuet o
zaklyuchenii pod strazhu How to justify the transition to an alternative pre-trial restrictions. When the investigator petitions
for detention. Ugolovnyi protsess=Criminal Procedure, 2018, no. 10, pp. 60–61. (In Russ.).
9. Vast’yanova O.D. Effectiveness of the application of the prohibition of certain actions. Kriminalistika: vchera, segodnya,
zavtra=Criminalistics: Yesterday, Today, Tomorrow, 2020, no. 1 (13), pp. 122–128. (In Russ.).
10. Gershevskii Yu.R. Some issues of choosing a preventive measure in the form of a ban on certain actions. Vestnik
Kaliningradskogo filiala Sankt-Peterburgskogo universiteta MVD Rossii=Bulletin of the Kaliningrad Branch of Saint
Petersburg University of the Ministry of Internal Affairs of Russia, 2019, no. 2 (56), pp. 126–128. (In Russ.).
11. Golovinskaya I.V., Savel’ev I.I. Prohibition of certain actions as a novella of criminal procedural restrictive measures.
Uchenye zapiski=Academic Notes, 2018, no. 4 (28), pp. 117–133. (In Russ.).
12. Koldin S.V. Zashchita prav i zakonnykh interesov poterpevshego po Ugolovno-protsessual’nomu kodeksu Rossiiskoi
Federatsii: avtoreferat dissertatsii na soiskanie uchenoi stepeni kandidata yuridicheskikh nauk [Protection of the rights
and legitimate interests of the victim under the Criminal Procedure Code of the Russian Federation: Candidate of Sciences
(Law) dissertation abstract]. Saratov, 2004. 25 p.
13. Kornelyuk O.V. Balans protsessual’nykh statusov poterpevshego i obvinyaemogo pri dosudebnom proizvodstve:
avtoreferat dissertatsii na soiskanie uchenoi stepeni kandidata yuridicheskikh nauk [Balance of procedural statuses of
the victim and the accused in pre-trial proceedings: Candidate of Sciences (Law) dissertation abstract]. Nizhny Novgorod,
2003. 26 p.
14. Larkina E.V. Ban of certain actions and prohibitions stipulated in combination with bail and house arrest: the first six
months of application. Lex Russica, 2019, no. 4, pp. 129–138. DOI: 10.17803/1729-5920.2019.149.4.129-138. (In Russ.).
15. Nikolyuk V.V. New regulations for including in the sentence the time of the individual’s detention, isolation from society
in the application of measures of restraint in the form of house arrest, prohibition of certain actions. Vestnik VostochnoSibirskogo instituta MVD Rossii=Bulletin of the East Siberian Institute of the Ministry of Internal Affairs of Russia, 2018, no. 4
(87), pp. 112–121. (In Russ.).
16. Orlov A.V. Actual problems of implementing house arrest in the light of the introduction of a preventive measure in the
form of a ban on certain actions. Vestnik Samarskogo yuridicheskogo instituta=Bulletin of Samara Law Institute, 2018, no.
3 (29), pp. 48–51. (In Russ.).
17. ECHR ruling of January 10, 2012 “The case of Ananyev and others v. the Russian Federation” (complaint no. 42525/07,
60800/08). Byulleten’ Evropeiskogo Suda po pravam cheloveka=Bulletin of the European Court of Human Rights, 2012,
no. 8. (In Russ.).
18. Resolution of the Gorno-Altaisk City Court of the Altai Republic of August 17, 2018 on material no. 3/411/18. “Pravosudie”
state automated system of the Russian Federation. Available at: sudrf.ru (accessed February 27, 2021). (In Russ.).
19. Resolution of the Krasnoborsky District Court of the Arkhangelsk Oblast of July 25, 2018, Case no. 3/141/18. Judicial
and regulatory acts of the Russian Federation. Available at: https://sudact.ru (accessed February 27, 2021). (In Russ.).
20. Resolution of the Neryungrinsky City Court of the Republic of Sakha (Yakutia) of September 20, 2018 on material no.
3/3-105/2018. “Pravosudie” state automated system of the Russian Federation. Available at: sudrf.ru (accessed February
27, 2021). (In Russ.).
21. Resolution of the Magadan Regional Court of October 4, 2018 on material no. 2k-13/2018 (criminal case no.
11701440010000018). Available at: https://sudact.ru (accessed February 27, 2021). (In Russ.).
22. Rukavishnikova A.A. Elimination of doubts and ambiguities in the sentence (definition, resolution) received for execution in the
penal system. Student abstract articles and materials. Available at: https://studref.com/410533/pravo/ustranenie _somneniy_
neyasnostey_prigovore_opredelenii_postanovlenii_postupivshem_ispolnenie (accessed January 21, 2021). (In Russ.).
23. Simagina N.A. Circumstances taken into account when choosing a preventive measure in the form of a ban on certain
actions. Advokatskaya praktika=Lawyer Practice, 2020, no. 3, pp. 42–46. (In Russ.).
24. Stel’makh V.Yu. Measure of restraint: “prohibition of certain actions”. Rossiiskii sledovatel’=Russian Investigator, 2020,
no. 2, pp. 21–25. (In Russ.).
25. Foinitskii I.Ya. Kurs ugolovnogo sudoproizvodstva. V 2 tomakh. Tom 1 [Course of criminal justice. In 2 volumes.
Volume 1]. Saint Petersburg, 1996. 579 p. (In Russ.).73
П Е Н И Т Е Н Ц И А Р Н А Я Н А У К А
26. Antisocial Behaviour etc. (Scotland) Act 2004: Guidance on Antisocial Behaviour Orders. Available at: https://www.
February 2, 2021).
27. Ashworth A. The criminal process. An evaluative study. Oxford, 1994. Pp. 34–35.
28. Do you know a woman who is being abused? A legal rights handbook. Available at: https://docplayer.net/14004397-
Do-you-know-a-woman-who-is-being-abused.html (accessed February 2, 2021).
29. McCord J. Deference of domestic violence: a critical view of research. Journal of Research in Crime and Delinquency,
1972, vol. 29, no. 2, pp. 229–239.
30. Non-molestation order: family law decisions. Available at: https://www.familylawdecisions.co.uk/useful-information/
non-molestation-order (accessed February 2, 2021).
31. Pate A.M., Hamilton E.E. Formal and informal deterrence to domestic violence: the Dade county spouse assault
experiment. American Sociological Review, 1992, vol. 57, no. 5, pp. 691–697.
32. Family Law Act 1996. Part IV Non-molestation orders Section 42. Available at: http://www.legislation.gov.uk/ (accessed
February 2, 2021).
33. What are the differences between a peace bond and a restraining order? BC Ministry of Attorney General. Archived
from the original on June 16, 2002. Retrieved August 22, 2016. Available at: https://stepstojustice.ca
34. What is a peace bond? A legal information resource from Legal Aid Ontario. Available at: http://lawfacts.ca/node/26
(accessed February 2, 2021).