The article gives a description of criminal lynching among convicted. These lynching will always be relevant for scientific research due to its multidimensionality, prevalence among convicts and negative consequences for prison practice. In particular they affect the provision of personal security in places of deprivation of liberty, the maintenance of a positive moral and psychological climate among the special contingent, the effective implementation of the correctional process and the achievement of the goals of the penal legislation. That is why it is necessary to conduct research work aimed at studying the socio-legal nature of criminal lynching among convicted persons. The reasons for lynching lie in the customs and traditions of the criminal subculture as well as in the predisposition to resolve conflict situations on their own in human nature. Prevention of criminal mob attacks in places of imprisonment is a very difficult task due to the latency inherent in the criminal environment. However correctional staff should take all possible measures to prevent their spread in places of social isolation. Representatives of penal science should provide scientific and methodological assistance in this direction. That is why the article sets out a set of measures to prevent this negative phenomenon.
Keywords: correctional institution; lynching; criminal lynching; penal conflict; criminal subculture; prevention of penal crime
Head of the Research Institute of the Federal Penal Service of Russia, Dsc. in Law, Professor.
, e-mail email@example.com
Chief Researcher of the Research Center-2 of the Research Institute of the Federal Penal Service of Russia, PhD. in Law, Associate Professor.
, e-mail firstname.lastname@example.org
1. Vilkova A. V. K voprosu mikrosredy ispravitel’nyh uchrezhdenij dlya nesovershennoletnih osuzhdennyh, formiruyushchej
obshchestvenno-nravstvennye cennosti [On the microenvironment of correctional institutions for juvenile convicts, shaping
social and moral values]. Rossijskij sledovatel’ – Russian investigator, 2014, no. 8, pp. 44–45. (In Russ.).
2. Dal’ V. I. Tolkovyj slovar’ zhivogo velikorusskogo yazyka. V 4 tomah. Tom 4 [Explanatory dictionary of living Great Russian
language. Vol. 4]. Moscow, 2007. 683 p. (In Russ.).
3. Antonyan YU. M., Bykov A. V. (red.) Ispravlenie osuzhdennyh [Correction of convicts]. Moscow, 2014. 331 p. (In Russ.).
4. Ozhegov S. I. Slovar’ russkogo yazyka [Dictionary of the Russian language]. Moscow, 2003. 894 p. (In Russ.).
5. Antonyan YU. M., Grishko A. YA., Fil’chenko A. P. (red.) Penitenciarnaya kriminologiya [Penal criminology]. Ryazan, 2009.
566 p. (In Russ.).
6. Smirnov A. M. Kriminologicheskaya harakteristika lic, sovershayushchih samosudnye raspravy v Rossii [Criminological
characteristics of persons committing lynching in Russia]. Vestnik instituta: prestuplenie, nakazanie, ispravlenie – Bulletin
of the Institute: Crime, Punishment, Correction, 2013, no. 3 (23), pp. 12–14. (In Russ.).
7. Smirnov A. M. Narodnoe pravosudie v Rossii [People’s justice in Russia]. Moscow, 2014. 396 p. (In Russ.).
8. Kuznecov S. A. (red.) Sovremennyj tolkovyj slovar’ russkogo yazyka [Modern explanatory dictionary of the Russian
language]. St. Petersburg, 2004. 959 p. (In Russ.).
9. Spasennikov B. A. Pravovaya antropologiya (ugolovno-pravovoj aspekt) [Legal anthropology (criminal law aspect)].
Arkhangelsk, 2001. 304 p. (In Russ.).
10. Starkov O. V. Kriminal’naya subkul’tura [Criminal subculture]. Moscow, 2010. 240 p. (In Russ.).
11. Ushakov D. N. Bol’shoj tolkovyj slovar’ sovremennogo russkogo yazyka [Large explanatory dictionary of modern
Russian language]. Moscow, 2005. 1239 p. (In Russ.).